Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

DX9 compatible only? Seriously?

I mean come on, has anyone heard if there will be DX11 support at all? For all of us multi GPU users we sure would appreciate it. The game is a freaking blast but it runs so clunky....

Very bad business decision to atleast not give people the option. Disappointing.
    Last edited by Cereal Killer; 2011-11-27 at 08:21 PM.
    "Happiness is finding two olives in your martini when you’re hungry." ~Frank Sinatra

Until more people adopt DX11 video cards the industry won't create games for it.

I think a ton of people are still running DX9 according to the Steam stats.

Hum, I know so few about that... Whats the diference between both of it? All I do is install a new one when the game does it by itself, never really understand that well how that works.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

DX11 has nothing to do with multi GPU set ups, DX9 was running on multi GPU systems years ago and it handled it just fine. DX11 support and multi GPU support are two seperate issues. DX11 is just a detail/lighting/shadow improvement over DX9, that's it.

WOW supports DX11 but it does not support multi GPUs correctly. Your average FPS actually drops when running in SLI or CF. Any one who wants to claim otherwise does not know what they are talking about. Do a simple Google search and you will see WoW has always had issues supporting multi GPUs, on both DX9 and DX11.

That said it is dumb for any developer to skip DX11 support for any reason, especially if it's just because a lot of people are still stuck on 32bit DX9. But again it has nothing to do with the number of GPUs in your system.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    Until more people adopt DX11 video cards the industry won't create games for it.

I think a ton of people are still running DX9 according to the Steam stats.
    The industry already caters to DX11. This is definitely an exception, not a trend.

The majority of gamers are still using cards that don't support DX11 and since i'm guessing an MMO has an extremely long development cycle it most likely seemed like even more of a stretch back then. WoW ended up patching in some DX11 effects, if TOR does well maybe they will too

The style doesnt really lend itself too much to stuff like tessellation. If they implemented DX11 I imagine it would be similar to WoW..as in increase fps (ymmv)

I wasn't even aware of this. Guess I can't play SWTOR at all even if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
    The game is a freaking blast but it runs so clunky....
    I might have missed something but what game are you talking about ? ty

EDIT: yes I have missed something nvm.

Deleted
    get shafted real gamers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    DX11 has nothing to do with multi GPU set ups, DX9 was running on multi GPU systems years ago and it handled it just fine. DX11 support and multi GPU support are two seperate issues. DX11 is just a detail/lighting/shadow improvement over DX9, that's it.

WOW supports DX11 but it does not support multi GPUs correctly. Your average FPS actually drops when running in SLI or CF. Any one who wants to claim otherwise does not know what they are talking about. Do a simple Google search and you will see WoW has always had issues supporting multi GPUs, on both DX9 and DX11.

That said it is dumb for any developer to skip DX11 support for any reason, especially if it's just because a lot of people are still stuck on 32bit DX9. But again it has nothing to do with the number of GPUs in your system.
    "Googled" some info for ya for an example of DX9 vs DX11 in WoW. Even with a single GPU numbers don't lie. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-7.html

Multi GPU Scaling is even MORE huge with DX11 enabled and you would be daft to think ANY different.

But I DO agree with your last statement, it is DUMB for any developer to skip DX11 support of any reason.
    Last edited by Cereal Killer; 2011-11-27 at 08:47 PM.
    "Happiness is finding two olives in your martini when you’re hungry." ~Frank Sinatra

The engine is no way of a strong point of this game.

SWTOR has graphics like wow in complexity(please dont confuse graphics with art) and still runs at much lower FPS, the texture loading has high latency and the draw distance is low even at max, there is also extreme pop-in.

its kinda sad you need a i5 2500k and a corrent generation graphics card to run this game at decent speed and quality with graphics that are in the league of old MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
    "Googled" some info for ya for an example of DX9 vs DX11 in WoW. Even with a single GPU numbers don't lie. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-7.html

Multi GPU Scaling is even MORE huge with DX11 enabled and you would be daft to think ANY different.

But I DO agree with your last statement, it is DUMB for any developer to skip DX11 support of any reason.
    You quoted something from tomshardware, that's automatically incorrect due to it's source. toms is not a trusted source for anything, ever, so please do not try to use that as your basis for anything.

You also missed the point I was trying to make, DX9 still supports multi GPUs, end of story. So SWtOR being only DX9 does not mean it will not support multi GPUs like you attempted to claim in your original post. DX11 may be able to do it better but the fact still remains it is not required. And as I pointed out a game support DX11 does not mean that it will support multi GPUs correctly. Again WoW is DX11 and it has never support multi GPUs correctly, on either DX9 or DX11.

Also consider that SWtOR has been in development for so freaking long that upgrading it to DX11 is probably not a priority right now and can be handled with a patch or expansion later on.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    The industry already caters to DX11. This is definitely an exception, not a trend.
    The majority of games being released are in DX9 because they cater to consoles. 90% of mainstream games you play are DX9, guaranteed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    You quoted something from tomshardware, that's automatically incorrect due to it's source. toms is not a trusted source for anything, ever, so please do not try to use that as your basis for anything.

You also missed the point I was trying to make, DX9 still supports multi GPUs, end of story. So SWtOR being only DX9 does not mean it will not support multi GPUs like you attempted to claim in your original post. DX11 may be able to do it better but the fact still remains it is not required. And as I pointed out a game support DX11 does not mean that it will support multi GPUs correctly. Again WoW is DX11 and it has never support multi GPUs correctly, on either DX9 or DX11.

Also consider that SWtOR has been in development for so freaking long that upgrading it to DX11 is probably not a priority right now and can be handled with a patch or expansion later on.
    Tom's Hardware is an inaccurate source? Are you serious? So I suppose ctrlaltkill, hardforum, overclock.net and guru3d are unreliable as well? Because they show the same results with a 1-3fps variation on ALL accounts. Get your facts right before you start preaching your "knowledge".

As far as missing the point you were trying to make, no I did not, I understood it completely. I did not say you COULDN'T run multi GPU's under DX9, I implied that for us users with DX11 cards (which is way more than many of you guys seem to think) it would be a huge performance increase because as it stands now using a DX9 client makes the game run like shit for a good majority of us.

Also, WoW supports my setup 110% with CF 5870's so not sure where you are getting the info that it doesn't support multi GPU's correctly under either DX version. Granted each persons setup is different, but if I am running a like 2 year old card setup with zero issues... I am bound to believe it's the person behind the machine that is making it run shitty.

As for the final point of it being in development for so long as not able to have a DX11 support patch on release? That is a copout, the same reason that Rift failed. People said time and time again they wished for DX11 support yet Trion didn't listen. The result? Shitty gameplay, choppy pop in textures and an overall bad game.

This is something that should not be a standard nowadays, some game companies listen and some don't. All I am saying is this game would be a HELL of alot smoother and a hell of alot more immersive with proper support. Alas, this amazing game doesn't have that yet. Which is a shame, a damn shame.
    Last edited by Cereal Killer; 2011-11-27 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    The majority of games being released are in DX9 because they cater to consoles. 90% of mainstream games you play are DX9, guaranteed.
    Exactly. I guess they want to leave it DX9 for the hope of maybe putting it on consoles later on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epec View Post
    Exactly. I guess they want to leave it DX9 for the hope of maybe putting it on consoles later on.
    This made me chuckle. Lets hope that this isn't the case. =) I am so sick of console games comming to PC. But in this case it may be the opposite and is pretty damned disappointing if so. We just can't win here guys!

I doubt they will upgrade their entire system for DX10/11, but they will probably make it compatible for people with those types of GPUs.

I have an i5 650 CPU with a GeForce GTS 250 GPU and I run SWTOR at 100-150 FPS on medium setting with draw distance and view distance at max. No idea how the hell your computers can be worse than mine.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2011-11-27 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    DX11 support can be implemented later, I wouldn't worry about it to much. WoW only recently had it so the devs didn't build the engine with it in mind. It was added at some point later, BW can probably do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    I doubt they will upgrade their entire system for DX10/11, but they will probably make it compatible for people with those types of GPUs.
    That my friend is all I am asking! Make the option AVAILABLE.