I’ve been wanting to start a thread about dungeon layouts/design lately. Ever since early TBC raid and dungeon maps have gone backwards in terms of exploring cool and exciting locations.
What we’ve seen in the past 2 expansions are raid/dungeon designs that don’t tell you why you can suddenly teleport to the other side of the instance simply because you killed boss X. That to me makes 0 sense, whatsoever. A raid instance that did it really good was actually, Naxx. Naxx had a ton of bosses and all fairly easy to reach. If they would have let us mount in that place it would have been perfect.
The thing that breaks my feeling of exploring the most is being able to teleport to every boss. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t like running either but this I dislike almost just as much.
Best example here is Dragon soul: > Trash > boss > teleport > repeat.
I noticed that I got bored of Dragon Soul really really quick. And that is not even because of the boss fights, but simply because the entire Raid feels like a movie …
What I need / want is a cool dungeon crawler !
Not boss fights with a teleport !!
Now, I know allot of people wonder how I would like to see this fixed and the answer to me is fairly simple, I thought of a raid map with 11 ! bosses and still made them fairly easy to be reached. Walking time is fairly short. (enable mounts would make it even better)
Alright, don’t judge my drawing skill :P took me 5 min but allow me to explain!:
- Entrance NPC standing there telling a story about the dungeon (quest: Lower bridge!)
- 1st boss
- To the left 2nd optional boss
- To the right a bridge you can’t cross from this side
- Straight ahead a jumping game (noob check ) with the 3rd boss
- After 4th boss complete quest, lower the bridge (new quest: Set sail ).
- Boss number 5 and 6 and optional
- 7th boss
- 8th boss optional (notice you can cross the bridge and jump down from the 4th boss platform to make the run quicker)
- Continue onwards and break the tree that’s blocking the river. (you can now teleport towards the 9th boss and complete the quest set sail (you see a skippable movie).
- Now you can kill the 9th 10th boss
- And then finally the big bad final boss.
LFR could split it up in 3 parts:
-Objective: lower the bridge
-Objective: Set sail
-Objective: Kill final boss thingy
Now I hope that made sense
Anyway letme know what you think about the dungeon layouts lately compared to what we used to have back in classic (think BRD, maraudon, UBRS/LBRS stratholme etc.).
- Do you prefer bigger dungeons with allot of bosses ?
- Do you prefer teleporting over something like I suggested ?
- Anything else !
Keep it civil please, and don’t laugh at my English, thank you.
ps: Yes i know blizzard aint reading this, this is for the sake of discussion