Poll: Where would you go if you don't enjoy SW:ToR as much as you expect?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I haven't sold my soul to WoW. I'm not as much of a video game addict as I was a year ago, so I don't think SW:TOR would fail for me. I want to level all the classes, do the PvP, maybe do a pug raid or 2. I don't want to do the 16 hour raid week fighting for world ranks anymore, and I don't see how the game can "fail" for me when I just want simple things.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

This game will not fail. It won't be a WoW killer, but it will have plenty of people playing it for a long long time.
    #TeamTinkers

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    This game will not fail. It won't be a WoW killer, but it will have plenty of people playing it for a long long time.
    I should really set up my Space Balls Sig.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I haven't sold my soul to WoW. I'm not as much of a video game addict as I was a year ago, so I don't think SW:TOR would fail for me. I want to level all the classes, do the PvP, maybe do a pug raid or 2. I don't want to do the 16 hour raid week fighting for world ranks anymore, and I don't see how the game can "fail" for me when I just want simple things.
    I read this, then I read "Hardcore PvP & PvE Republic Guild" in your signature. I lol'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    these type of threads seem to always end up the same intended or not...
    lots of game bashing lots of hate really makes no sense
    gets redundant

Maybe star wars will take this bad community that rolled in during Wotlk and Cata. Maybe itll take all them from WoW and bring them to GW2 or SW.

Thats my dream. Finally, no more trolls, no more kids, no more trash talking, no more puke that has infected WoW.

A man can dream can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinen View Post
    I read this, then I read "Hardcore PvP & PvE Republic Guild" in your signature. I lol'd.
    I like to be in an environment where people aren't idiots. That doesn't mean I'm going to dedicate 16 hour raid weeks though, it just means when I want to join PvP with guildies, I won't be disappointed with the guildies.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    Personally, I can't wait for SW:ToR to fall so flat on its face. I wouldn't feel this way if everyone would just say, "Hey guys, check out this new MMO BioWare is making, it looks kinda neat." Nope. Instead, it has to be, "Hey guys, WoW is officially dead when this gets released, it's so much better than anything ever invented, and I can't wait for WoW to burn."
    But it will not fall flat on its face. It will be a moderatly succesful MMO with its on fanbase. It will not flop, it will profit, but at the same time WoW will lose SOME subs but still remain succesful in it's own rite.

Deleted
    SW:TOR won't fail. Bioware has played the whole BETA thing too well to fail, essentially, they gave everyone who wants to try it the chance to, which is fairly sneaky actually (especially masking it as a stress test). But either way, they've played a great game with it, thousands upon thousands of people have had the chance to experience the game who wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I didn't care about Star Wars at all, in fact, the combat videos Bioware put out made it look worse than awful, but I quickly liked it and after about 4 days of beign in beta, I preordered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    Personally, I can't wait for SW:ToR to fall so flat on its face. I wouldn't feel this way if everyone would just say, "Hey guys, check out this new MMO BioWare is making, it looks kinda neat." Nope. Instead, it has to be, "Hey guys, WoW is officially dead when this gets released, it's so much better than anything ever invented, and I can't wait for WoW to burn."
    I've been in the beta for over a month now, and I have to say this is exactly how I feel besides the "it falling flat on it's face part" of course. I will give SWTOR a go in January, but from what I've seen there is no end game content to keep you there. It's like nothing but questing, pvp, and a few flash points that really aren't that interesting to me. So unless they some how pull some magic out of there closet of wonder I don't ever see this being or even getting to the same lvl WoW is on. With that being said it's a decent game, and if people wouldn't have come out of the wood works making this out to be a WoW killer like all the other failures it would do better. I expect it to have 2-3million subs for a few months then drop back down to around 1 mil permanently.

So to answer the OP's question I'm not ever unsubbing from WoW...well at least for a year or until I get bored with MoP.

I played this week and I enjoyed the game. But I:

- Love WoW
    - Love Star Wars
    - Love Bioware RPGs

If you like these three things, you are going to like SW:tOR. If you fail on one of those criteria, you'll probably won't want to spend your money with this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by redruMPanda View Post
    I've been in the beta for over a month now, and I have to say this is exactly how I feel besides the "it falling flat on it's face part" of course. I will give SWTOR a go in January, but from what I've seen there is no end game content to keep you there. It's like nothing but questing, pvp, and a few flash points that really aren't that interesting to me. So unless they some how pull some magic out of there closet of wonder I don't ever see this being or even getting to the same lvl WoW is on. With that being said it's a decent game, and if people wouldn't have come out of the wood works making this out to be a WoW killer like all the other failures it would do better. I expect it to have 2-3million subs for a few months then drop back down to around 1 mil permanently.

So to answer the OP's question I'm not ever unsubbing from WoW...well at least for a year or until I get bored with MoP.
    So heres the thing. The interet is really just a giant fucking echo chamber where people repeat the same shit over and over again even though they have no evidence of it either way. The oft repeated chant of "no end game" is so repeated that everytime I see it my eyes roll and I get a very sick feeling in my fucking stomach.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-for-you-bros.

End game information if you care to read it. If not I understand completely. Have fun at the zoo in april.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Maybe star wars will take this bad community that rolled in during Wotlk and Cata. Maybe itll take all them from WoW and bring them to GW2 or SW.

Thats my dream. Finally, no more trolls, no more kids, no more trash talking, no more puke that has infected WoW.

A man can dream can't he?
    A dream is all it will be because you know as well as everyone else, wow's community is fucking shit , and always will be.
    The majority including myself hopes that in swtor the whiner little bitches stick to wow (where there all based anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Haydest View Post
    Very mature of you. So, you're hoping that a game in which thousands of voice actors, programmers, graphic designers, and other marketers have spent on over the course of several years and many, many hours fails because a bunch of fanboys, who rightfully are being, well fans on a SWTOR forum is praising for their game?

You do you realize with the advent of this game's failure, many people will get their salaries cut, and lose their jobs right? It's not as simple as your favorite game remaining top, or some other competition you're trying to make this out to be.

I hope this isn't a double standard here; "When MoP comes out, SWTOR will be officially dead!" "When GW2 comes out, blah blah will be officially dead!" or whatever-game-have-you should not be an exception to your rules.
    The problem is.... the SWTOR fanboys don't just praise their game. They also want WoW to die for some reason and spew fact-less bullshit about the game. I can not come to this website without seeing a "WoW will die" thread in the recent threads on the main page and it's usually a Star Wars player. When I was playing the SWTOR open beta this week, all people talked about is "how bad WoW is" and how they hope it dies. Hell, people talked more about WoW than the game they were actually playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one have quit the MMO genre as it stands, besides a few F2P ones when I'm bored but at this point they might as well not count considering there is apparently only one MMO and that one MMO will never die. Talking about the lifespan of a video game is like debating art and its relevancy. The Mona Lisa is old but to a few perusers, I hear they have some kind of sentimental attachment to it or some other kind of weak, pathetic human emotion for an object. WoW in this metaphor is a very inarticulate version of the Mona Lisa, quite soon becoming inundated into the inane annals of gaming history forever. It will not die, because memories only fail to those of us who cease to live or suffer some form of brain damage. Scientifically, what no longer strikes me as odd is that many people when confronted with the "Mona Lisa" losing its momentum as a mainstream artifact of art will give themselves brain damage to either defend or assail any and all oncomers.

With that long preface out of the way, I've been watching some small snippets of beta pour in and I'm not going to lie, the desire to test the game for myself is there. Not that it could overwhelm my burning addiction to Skyrim (200 hours, 12 days- I don't start work until it snows, I'm so very proud of myself). The game is going more for the RPG route which I'm not sure if many of you have been paying attention to as of late but Blizzard seems to have looked at the term "MMORPG," kept the "MMO" part and did fuck all for the "RPG." Immersion is a key factor for me these days, and I have to say, grinding achievements in WoW was immersive to the point it fueled my addiction for chimes and flashing lights that told me I was doing a good job, now keep on paying our conglomerate for more raids to do the same thing in every week for the rest of your life until we make a WoW clone ourselves. I'm not saying that SWTOR will cure this because I have no more faith in such a thing. It's blasphemous to think some new contender could suddenly rid all the ills of gaming from existance. But I like the fact that I'm not helping Harrison Jones find his fucking hat in a tomb of howling pygmys while Schnattzies blitz from all sides, so for some of us, there are things to look forward to. Such as hopefully seeing a game developer take its own product seriously for just once.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried every WoW competitor to come out and I havent liked any of them. ToR is the first mmo I have played since I started WoW 7 years ago that I actually liked so I am going to play it for as long as I can. I'm not canceling my WoW sub yet but if ToR flops I probably will just play D3 until MoP comes out.

Alot of the WoW player base came from Starwars Galexies. (still can't spell) So, SWTOR will be quite succesful at its launch. How well then endgame content holds up to WoWs standards will be tough. Taking down a giant is hard to do. regardless of what you think WoW is a very highly polished game in the sense of the MMO world. Not all quests are gather/kill while leveling. Zoning impoved the leveling aspect. Endgame content is competitive. Game mechanics for most classes are fairly simple. Honestly I think GW2 has the biggest potential to overthrow WoW, not becuase of gameplay but becuase of the quality you get for not paying. 15$ a mon sounds like a rip off when you can have same if not better graphics in a game that is equaly as developed. If WoW lives through SWTOR and GW2 I'll be impressed. It's about time for a new Blizzard MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dergrim View Post
    I have tried every WoW competitor to come out and I havent liked any of them. ToR is the first mmo I have played since I started WoW 7 years ago that I actually liked so I am going to play it for as long as I can. I'm not canceling my WoW sub yet but if ToR flops I probably will just play D3 until MoP comes out.
    Same thing here, my WoW account happens to be frozen cause I goofed (lost my wallet~>Cancelled Credit card~>payment time came) but if that hadn't happened, I would be in the same boat as you. I did the exact same thing with RIFT when it launched, I lasted 4 months. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Define Fail...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by MephistoXVIII View Post
    I for one have quit the MMO genre as it stands, besides a few F2P ones when I'm bored but at this point they might as well not count considering there is apparently only one MMO and that one MMO will never die. Talking about the lifespan of a video game is like debating art and its relevancy. The Mona Lisa is old but to a few perusers, I hear they have some kind of sentimental attachment to it or some other kind of weak, pathetic human emotion for an object. WoW in this metaphor is a very inarticulate version of the Mona Lisa, quite soon becoming inundated into the inane annals of gaming history forever. It will not die, because memories only fail to those of us who cease to live or suffer some form of brain damage. Scientifically, what no longer strikes me as odd is that many people when confronted with the "Mona Lisa" losing its momentum as a mainstream artifact of art will give themselves brain damage to either defend or assail any and all oncomers.

With that long preface out of the way, I've been watching some small snippets of beta pour in and I'm not going to lie, the desire to test the game for myself is there. Not that it could overwhelm my burning addiction to Skyrim (200 hours, 12 days- I don't start work until it snows, I'm so very proud of myself). The game is going more for the RPG route which I'm not sure if many of you have been paying attention to as of late but Blizzard seems to have looked at the term "MMORPG," kept the "MMO" part and did fuck all for the "RPG." Immersion is a key factor for me these days, and I have to say, grinding achievements in WoW was immersive to the point it fueled my addiction for chimes and flashing lights that told me I was doing a good job, now keep on paying our conglomerate for more raids to do the same thing in every week for the rest of your life until we make a WoW clone ourselves. I'm not saying that SWTOR will cure this because I have no more faith in such a thing. It's blasphemous to think some new contender could suddenly rid all the ills of gaming from existance. But I like the fact that I'm not helping Harrison Jones find his fucking hat in a tomb of howling pygmys while Schnattzies blitz from all sides, so for some of us, there are things to look forward to. Such as hopefully seeing a game developer take its own product seriously for just once.
    If you are looking for immersion then I cant think of any better mmo than SW:TOR. The way bioware has tackled that end has impressed me beyond my expectations. I agree totally on the whole idea of an MMO taking themselves seriously. Wow has steadily gotten worse in that regard and SWTOR takes itself extremely seriously from my beta experience. Just my 2c.