Looking for a web hosting site

Hello friends,

I've been put in charge of finding and administrating a website for my store, part of a very large retail company. Our goal is to create a source for employees to communicate with one another about the goings on within our specific store. There will be videos and pictures, and I need forums and a news scroll with an rss feed. There will only be 50-100 people utilizing the site, so I don't need a dedicated server for now. PLUS! (MUY IMPORTANTE) I need this website to be 100% private. That is another thing causing issues within my search. I've looked into many web hosting websites including Dreamhost, Boardoo, and Siteground to name a few. But I always go back to my guilds website.

rws.Guildlaunch.com, I LOVE the layout of our site and it is EXACLTY what I want out of the website I set up for my store. The problem I've encountered is that I have only been able to find video game guild hosting websites with this particular layout. To find out if Dreamhost/Siteground offer similar layouts I have to pay and hope I receive my funds back if I'm not satisfied. The problem with this, is that management wants something before 1/1/12. They don't want to bounce around between websites and neither do I. I do not want our staff getting confused.

I also very much like Tankspot. It too is precisely the layout and has all the same options I'm looking for. I PM'd the webmaster to find out who hosts this website but thus far have received no reply. Oddly enough, through pure luck, I noticed that Boardoo.com and Tankspot.com have the same little emblem on my firefox tabs which leads me to believe Boardoo hosts Tankspot.

Are you folks aware of any other web hosting sites that are reputable and have all the features I'm looking for(especially password protection)? And am I correct in assuming Boardoo "hosts" Tankspot.com? Any help would be much appreciated.

I suppose in the long run I'd be content with a blog of sorts that I can make completely private and would allow for people to comment on posts. Something with a forum included would be optimal. However, I want the ability to add features to our website as it expands so I'm reluctant to just go to blog____.com

Hostgator.com is the best site for hosting a site for free.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pick whichever host you want. Dreamhost is good. The layout tankspot uses isn't provided by their host, it's 3rd party software. The icon you're seeing is the vBulletin favicon meaning they use vBulletin for their forums and front page (as does mmo-champion).
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Not to be an arse, but as you obviously do not know anything what so ever about niether hosting nor websites themselves, maybe you should consider trying to find someone else to manage things? Or atleast initially set it up.
    If that is not possible, here's a few explanations.

Apart from Video Game hosting, most hosting is done by a dedicated host. That means that you get a place where you can put your website.
    Then you need your software. That can be coded by yourself (but there's no point in that) or get a CMS.

vBullentin as used by Tankspot and MMO-Champion is porbably not an option, as I take it you do not want a forum.
    [i]Nevermind that, missed the last part of your post. vBullentin or another forum software might be what you are looking for if you want both CMS and Forums.

WordPress is originally a Blog, but with a million and one addons, it's one of the most powerful CMS out there.
    Drupal is another CMS that is also extremely powerful.

If you want something simpler, I would look at Get Simple which is a very easy CMS to setup and manage, although it doesn't have all the extendability of WordPress or Drupal.

Again though, I would very much recommend that you pay for a professional to make inital setups and design for you, as with very limited knowledge, usually come poor results.
    Last edited by mmocad991e1826; 2011-11-28 at 03:24 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    Not to be an arse, but as you obviously do not know anything what so ever about niether hosting nor websites themselves, maybe you should consider trying to find someone else to manage things? Or atleast initially set it up.
    If that is not possible, here's a few explanations.

Apart from Video Game hosting, most hosting is done by a dedicated host. That means that you get a place where you can put your website.
    Then you need your software. That can be coded by yourself (but there's no point in that) or get a CMS.

vBullentin as used by Tankspot and MMO-Champion is porbably not an option, as I take it you do not want a forum.
    [i]Nevermind that, missed the last part of your post. vBullentin or another forum software might be what you are looking for if you want both CMS and Forums.

WordPress is originally a Blog, but with a million and one addons, it's one of the most powerful CMS out there.
    Drupal is another CMS that is also extremely powerful.

If you want something simpler, I would look at Get Simple which is a very easy CMS to setup and manage, although it doesn't have all the extendability of WordPress or Drupal.

Again though, I would very much recommend that you pay for a professional to make inital setups and design for you, as with very limited knowledge, usually come poor results.
    What he said.

You have a couple options:
    1. Find someone with the expertise
    2. Start reading tutorials
    3. Use a free solution
    Your best bet would be the free solution. There are plenty out there that would fit your needs, you just need to find one that you like best. Hell the simplest way would be to make an account reddit and create your own private subreddit for your store.

If you don't want a free solution then either find someone with expertise to get you up and running as well as any future maintenance. This will be a paid professional and wouldn't be working for free. Or ask around in our computer section to see if someone will just get you setup. Initial setup is generally pretty quick and painless I'm sure someone here would be willing to help you out with that.

edit: Just wanted to clear this up:

Apart from Video Game hosting, most hosting is done by a dedicated host. That means that you get a place where you can put your website.Then you need your software. That can be coded by yourself (but there's no point in that) or get a CMS.
    What he means is the host and the website are two different services. The hosting is provided by one company and the website software by another. If you go with this route you do not want a dedicated server you want a shared server.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-11-28 at 04:20 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Hmm. Well I host about 5 different websites and I use the host HostGator its amazing and reliable. I just bought the service like 2 days ago you can use the coupon smartsourcegifts on host gator and get your first month for 1 cent if you want to try it out.

What kind of store is this? Why not just have them buy a small server tower and then host your website there. Wouldn't be expensive and you can set it up to be 100% private.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    What kind of store is this? Why not just have them buy a small server tower and then host your website there. Wouldn't be expensive and you can set it up to be 100% private.
    The post is from 2011, i'm pretty sure the OP no longer needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The post is from 2011, i'm pretty sure the OP no longer needs help.
    ah good eye. didn't notice that. guy before me bumped it.