Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Year-long WoW subscription before getting into TOR?

Specifically in the context of SW:TOR, has anyone else signed up for the year-long WoW commitment before they "had all the facts" and then regretted it? I'm not saying I wouldn't want to head back to WoW in short stints over the next year for whatever reason (PANDAS PANDAS PANDAS *ahem*), but TOR has me stoked.

I get more excited the more I read about it. Especially the story aspect. I love the fact that I won't feel emotionally blackmailed into doing dailies or hitting a random flashpoint finder with 4 finely-honed examples of John Gabriel's GIFWT. I'm super excited to play a bounty hunter and have a jawa companion. I'm excited as anything about each character having their own unique storylines, and not being shoehorned into a single role for the whole game. Companions look awesome.

Suffice to say, the two-hundred-plus dollars going to Blizzard over the next year for a flying horse and a hack-n-slash game I won't play seriously just doesn't seem worth it anymore... It's a done-deal and I guess I'm resignedly OK with that, but anyone else in my boat?

Theres some people in WoW GD forums talking about getting out of the yearly contract. Some say it's possible, some say it isn't. I don't know anymore, but you could always call Blizzard and ask them.

Otherwise, dunno. I'm not subscribed to WoW currently as of earlier this year, but I chuckled when I saw the Annual Pass deal. If a company is giving away something too good to be true, there is a reason :/

when i first heard about it i was like

"omg that gonna be awesome"

but skyrim came out and i havent touch wow all month.....kinda upset i am subbed at all this month.

no imo it not worth it. it just salesman tricks to get you to get something you dont need. if anything skyrim has taught me i dont need wow to fulfill my gaming needs. so why commit to something i dont need
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

Can people just not play 2 games at once or something? I'm subscribed to the annual pass and will buy and play ToR, I don't see any issue. When I feel like playing SWTOR, I'll play it - when I want to try WoW's new content, I'll play that.

Before anyone says "no you won't, you'll just play ToR the whole time!", I'm playing it on the beta right now, and I can still comfortably see myself playing both. I still like WoW, and I also like ToR. They're different games.

And can people please stop saying that the Annual Pass is some 'trick' or 'con'? It's blatantly obvious why the pass exists, it's terms are expressed in plain English when you sign up, and people should really have the ability to make the decision "will I get value out of this yearly pass?" for themselves. The Annual Pass is no different to the normal WoW subscription (e.g you sign up for 1 month, but do you use ALL that 1 month? Of course not), just longer term. It's a smart business move, something which people apparently deem heinous - how dare businesses attempt to make offers which will benefit them!

If you don't want Diablo 3, don't think you'll use the annual pass, and are not interested in the mount and saving $$, then just don't sign up for it. What's so hard?
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
    Can people just not play 2 games at once or something? I'm subscribed to the annual pass and will buy and play ToR, I don't see any issue. When I feel like playing SWTOR, I'll play it - when I want to try WoW's new content, I'll play that.

Before anyone says "no you won't, you'll just play ToR the whole time!", I'm playing it on the beta right now, and I can still comfortably see myself playing both. I still like WoW, and I also like ToR. They're different games.

And can people please stop saying that the Annual Pass is some 'trick' or 'con'? It's blatantly obvious why the pass exists, it's terms are expressed in plain English when you sign up, and people should really have the ability to make the decision "will I get value out of this yearly pass?" for themselves. The Annual Pass is no different to the normal WoW subscription (e.g you sign up for 1 month, but do you use ALL that 1 month? Of course not), just longer term. It's a smart business move, something which people apparently deem heinous - how dare those business attempt to make offers which will benefit them!

If you don't want Diablo 3, don't think you'll use the annual pass, and are not interested in the mount and saving $$, then just don't sign up for it. What's so hard?
    Well, some people just don't want to waste that money. 30 dollars a month for two games when you could just be paying 15 dollars a month for one game and be getting the same time out of it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Played in the TOR beta like everyone else and it seems real gimmicky rather than anything else. WoW will be my staple till GW2 with brief forays into TOR when it gets released here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback regarding this guys.

It's fair to say that I'm not saying I don't want to play full stop, I just want to be empowered to make that decision for myself again month-to-month in the fact of the awesome that is TOR.

Playing 2 games at once is possible, but if you're just but if while you're playing one of them you wish you were playing the other one, what's the point

And can people please stop saying that the Annual Pass is some 'trick' or 'con'? It's blatantly obvious why the pass exists, it's terms are expressed in plain English when you sign up, and people should really have the ability to make the decision "will I get value out of this yearly pass?" for themselves. The Annual Pass is no different to the normal WoW subscription (e.g you sign up for 1 month, but do you use ALL that 1 month? Of course not), just longer term. It's a smart business move, something which people apparently deem heinous - how dare businesses attempt to make offers which will benefit them!

I think the point of the OP's post went right over your head as you valorously jumped in to defend the integrity of the annual pass. The OP doesn't find value in the annual pass, and wants out.

Also it's getting old how a couple posters keep talking about the needs of the business (and their huge profits) above the needs of gamers. If you are more interested in a business making money then you should not be giving advice telling gamers how to enjoy their games, as there is a conflict of interest. Talk about game quality or those pros/cons instead, if anything (Since you were trying to sell WoW anyways).
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-11-28 at 05:04 AM.

Deleted
    Serves Bioware well for not lifting their NDA earlier.

I really don't know why people would get sucked into that kind of commitment, especially since Blizzard has said after this patch there is no new content until the Panda expansion which doesn't seem very impressive.

I wouldn't want a year long commitment with any type of game personally. I'm honestly surprised this many people bought it up. I cancelled my WoW subscription over 6 months ago, and they keep trying to send me free time and I have 0 interest especially after Firelands.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 03:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lolisa View Post
    Serves Bioware well for not lifting their NDA earlier.
    really? what exactly does that have to do with this? .... sigh

Play more then 1 game at a time? IM-FUCKING-POSSIBLE!!!!! What do you mean "had all the facts". The Annual pass was a great idea, especially if you already do 6 month subs. I'll probably get SWATTER how long I play depends on people/friends, end game, if I enjoy it, and community.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm signed to Annual Pass with a 6-month recurring subscription. I signed on before testing SW:TOR. But I knew even then that wow is done for me.

For me it will cost around 120$. Half of it for Diablo 3. Another half is partially used already for wow, and the rest is for the access to the MoP beta (you need active sub to test - and I want to "test" it) and the charger mount (which is cool to play with for the last two weeks). And I will quit (stop playing) WoW on December 15th (the day early access starts cause I pre-ordered the day it was available for pre-order).

I don't regret it, as you can see - everything I payed (gonna pay) for will be delivered. I will have the fun out of wow and then move on to the greener pastures.

Don't think it's so much as unable to play more than one games at once but rather not wanting to sub to two games when 90% of their time might be spent on one over the other. That's the reason for me anyway.

As for your final comment, I do plan on buying D3 but I don't see the annual pass as a money saver, sure it's cheaper on a per month basis and assuming D3 sells at retail for 50-60$ it's even cheaper for the subscription but that 40$ I may have spent on WoW could easily have been better spent on something else(assuming of course my first reason stands true).

I signed up to the Annual Pass cuz I know I'll be playing WoW to an extent for an entire year.

I plan to play a bit of both SWTOR and GW2, but SWTOR hasn't really impressed me at all, I just wanna give it a go for a bit for story and lolz. GW2 looks the most interesting to me.

But I tried the SWTOR weekend thing and learned, as I suspected, my pc can't handle the graphics. So I won't play that until I get a better pc, which probably won't happen in a while. I suspect the same with GW2.

So I'll be playing WoW for a while longer and thus I didn't see why I couldn't just get the annual pass too if I wanna give Diablo a go and with my luck with the MoP beta.

Deleted
    really? what exactly does that have to do with this? .... sigh
    People didn't "have all the facts" in part because SW:TOR was under NDA at the time the WoW Annual Pass was offered (which indirectly meant no open beta access, of course).

Deleted
    I agree with some here, many people have their main character in WoW that they log on for raids, then they have their alts that they are working on lvling or something else. Instead of logging on an alt in WoW i just log on my SW char, its as simple as that. Sure i dont have alot of time on my hands but for some reason it works out pretty ok. Anyway, my point is that if you can get passed the money issue , playing 2 MMO's could be what alot of people are going to do in the future depending on what game have the fesh content.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Specifically in the context of SW:TOR, has anyone else signed up for the year-long WoW commitment before they "had all the facts" and then regretted it? I'm not saying I wouldn't want to head back to WoW in short stints over the next year for whatever reason (PANDAS PANDAS PANDAS *ahem*), but TOR has me stoked.
    Are you seriously trying to blame Blizzard for your inability to plan even a month ahead? You did have all the facts about annual pass.

Deleted
    oh, i still find the year pass worth it with free diablo 3 and MoP beta key. Swotr will be there when i decide to buy it.

i signed up for the year long sub... and was thinking the same thing! What about SWTOR??

i played the beta this weekend... and am now glad i got the year long to WoW.

i played it for a while and gave it a fair chance... it felt cluncky and the graphics were not great, i DONT like cut scenes and good lord SW has a bunch of them ad nausium, i know some people like that... honestly it didnt hold my attention at all.

its not that im a fanboy... i REALLY liked rift... and gave that a huge go for months.

im sry to say that i think you will be bored with SWTOR in about 2 days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlyworm View Post
    i signed up for the year long sub... and was thinking the same thing! What about SWTOR??

i played the beta this weekend... and am now glad i got the year long to WoW.

i played it for a while and gave it a fair chance... it felt cluncky and the graphics were not great, i DONT like cut scenes and good lord SW has a bunch of them ad nausium, i know some people like that... honestly it didnt hold my attention at all.

its not that im a fanboy... i REALLY liked rift... and gave that a huge go for months.

im sry to say that i think you will be bored with SWTOR in about 2 days.
    logging in to wow gets me bored in 2 seconds. so swtor is a good deal.