Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It makes me sad that you use the word "theory" instead of "conspiracy".
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

There is a phenomenon I have have heard of that I believe is called a crustal plume (or something like that), and its when a huge chunk of rock under the earths crust breaks off, then floats down through the mantle, only to be driven back up by heat convection. The rock then blasts a hole in the crust the size of a large country (basically creating a super volcano). Only one of these has ever though to have happened. and when it did, it tore a hole in the earths surface the size of Russia and caused fire and lava to rain upon the surface for almost a million years... causing one of the biggest extinctions in earths history.

if one ever happened again there would be no way to stop it, and humanity, and pretty much 99.99% of all other life on earth would be fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    Its not even that, the calendar just starts over iirc. Basically that calendars equivalent of december 31st. Its the end of "the old era" which people are interpreting as an apocalypse. Actually its just "new years eve".
    So, like Dec 31st, 1999?
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    There is a phenomenon I have have heard of that I believe is called a crustal plume (or something like that), and its when a huge chunk of rock under the earths crust breaks off, then floats down through the mantle, only to be driven back up by heat convection. The rock then blasts a hole in the crust the size of a large country (basically creating a super volcano). Only one of these has ever though to have happened. and when it did, it tore a hole in the earths surface the size of Russia and caused fire and lava to rain upon the surface for almost a million years... causing one of the biggest extinctions in earths history.

if one ever happened again there would be no way to stop it, and humanity, and pretty much 99.99% of all other life on earth would be fucked.
    Except you are talking about mantle plume, which is a theory and has not been observed and is not anything like agreed upon in the scientific community as possible.

Do you have a link to any credible source that lists a mantle plume as happening, especially one the size of Russia?

i vote for zombie Apocalypse i mean hell the government (in a joke) even did an emergency broadcast on the safe way to handle a zombie Apocalypse and survive!

Either that or a lot of people are going to go on a silence of the lambs spree on all the doom-says and eat them to quit their whining.
    "Because of all the days that have passed, We are who we are."

10+ Year Old Account
    A recent experiment may have shown subatomic particles moving 6 nano seconds faster than the speed of light.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hayharut View Post
    it would also be one hell of a disappointing Apocalypse.
    Just like all the others....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...alyptic_events

You'd think after the first 5 or 10 went past with nothing happening that people would learn....

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    You'd think after the first 5 or 10 went past with nothing happening that people would learn....
    As most are based on religious stuff, it's pretty obvious believers are already immune to deduction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    Just like all the others....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...alyptic_events

Wow... that's a lot of theories in the past... well... that's a lot of years.
    o__o; I completely agree with your statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I highly doubt is that the world will end with no warning, I remember when I was very young it was on the news that a large meteor made of iron (I remember specifically that because I was so young that I pictured a floating iron in space) that was going to come near earth, of course it missed us by a long shot but people still knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by slipshade View Post
    i vote for zombie Apocalypse i mean hell the government (in a joke) even did an emergency broadcast on the safe way to handle a zombie Apocalypse and survive!

Either that or a lot of people are going to go on a silence of the lambs spree on all the doom-says and eat them to quit their whining.
    You realize that the guidelines they posted to follow in the event of a zombie apocalypse are good guidelines for almost any emergency level event, right? Although it was a 'joke', it stays in peoples minds better than 'in case of hurricaine, giant fire, or idiots finally taking over'

Deleted
    If something real happens that is really bad, then it is economy based, or warfare based.
    Europe is currently in an economic hard time. With the Euro under fire because of Greece, Spain and Italy's national depts, and Northern Europe willing to step out of the Euro, both France and Germany are looking into to that seriously, it will be a hard year there, 2012. This could lead to political instability of one of the major economic regions, and with it, possible war. But that chance is small.

Where war is a larger possibility, is the Middle East, with Iran, Syria and Israel(whats new?) being the largest hotspots. Issue is, both Iran and Israel most likely have access to Nuclear weapons..... and thats the main issue here. If Iran is stupid they will threaten the rest of the world with their Nukes. And if you then count the fact that the NATO is building anti-missle defences with Russia being against it, and threatening to stop the START treaties over it, thus having loads of nukes at the ready, it could in theory lead to another coldwar, or even a doomsday scenario of nuclear war.

Also, we still have North Korea and its nuclear aspirations, wich although we don't hear about it on the news, is more likely to be there already then Iran. This since North Korea already has tested 2 nukes.
    But when it comes to threats from outer space, there are a million possibilities, but none truely are linked to 2012.

There is a funny fact when it comes to the date for that matter. The Maya did know what would happen in 2012, or atleast, what happenend in ~3114 the start of the long count.
    The Mayan Calandars long count, wich "ends" in 2012 started 5000 years ago, at around 3114 BC. At that same time the pre-classic Maya culture did not even really existed yet, or atleast not in the eye's of modern archeologists. Issue is, that a calendar starting way back in ~3114 BC has a reasoning behind it. It would basicly mean they created a calendar for years they (the Maya) did not existed. Why would someone create a calendar that pre-dates their "existence"? Well, why not like us? To date historic events. Now the Maya, believed in a cycluar universe. What happend 5000 years ago, will happen again, and thats what the long term stands for.

Something did happen ~3114 BC, we just don't know what. And thats what sparked all the doomsday theories. So because of our ignorance about what the Mayans saw at around 3114 BC, and the burning of all but a few Mayan books, we believe something that is hypothesized by a person. So people believe in something thats based on someones bull shit theory. For all we know, Aliens could land, or way more likely, nothing happens on 20-12-2012.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyRotBrain View Post
    A recent experiment may have shown subatomic particles moving 6 nano seconds faster than the speed of light.
    Source? Sounds quite interesting tbh

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Source? Sounds quite interesting tbh
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/73798.html
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

lol either my sonicwall is playing tricks on me or something is grievously wrong...but the first page of this thread is telling me 502 Bad Gateway lol

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 11:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    While interesting there's still too wide of a margin for error in those experiments that could be causing the speed differential. Even the measuring instruments are in doubt. It's still cool but there's no hard evidence yet that it is actually happening. Just that it could be happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toziel View Post
    A more plausible situation than an apocalypse:

December 21, 1012:
    Mayan Emperor to Mayan Astronomer: Make me a calendar for the next 1000 years, here's some slaves to help out.
    Mayan Astronomer: Alright, 1000 years exactly?
    Mayan Emperor: Yes, 1000 years from today.

December 21, 2012:
    Nothing happens except the passing of 1000 years.
    THIS. Times ten. The Mayans made calendars and are now an extinct civilization. They don't have a need to make more calendars. The fact that their calendar ends is simply because: they went extinct before they needed to make a new one.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Fuck, why the hell are 2012 threads still allowed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyRotBrain View Post
    Which i'm still amazed surprised anybody. I mean HOW often have we been sure of things in our species history only to be proven wrong? Often enough IMO to question everything even tested theory. I swear i feel like some people never learn from history.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It still blows my mind that people believe a prophecy made by a civilization whose leaders cut their own genitals to ensure that the crops grew well.

my calender ends the 31th of december... OH SHIT! THE WORLD IS GONNA END!

im still amazed how people can take something thousands of years old when it doesnt have any merit or evidence...

assertions without evidence can be dismissed without evidence