Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    lol either my sonicwall is playing tricks on me or something is grievously wrong...but the first page of this thread is telling me 502 Bad Gateway lol

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 11:40 AM ----------

While interesting there's still too wide of a margin for error in those experiments that could be causing the speed differential. Even the measuring instruments are in doubt. It's still cool but there's no hard evidence yet that it is actually happening. Just that it could be happening.
    I personally suspect denial is also involved considering what this would mean for science in both a good and bad way. Hell it's like the scientific equivelant of ghozer being set free ass hysteria dogs and cats getting along" and well you guys know what i mean. Though again i expected this sorta thing too often do we as both an individual AND as a species think we have all the answers only to find out we didn't. To me this is just another such scenario and in a hundred years if it's true people will probably laugh at is as we laugh at people who used to say the earth is flat or that we were the center of the universe(understandable given their times tech but most people don't see it that way).

Quote Originally Posted by Eilassaria View Post
    It still blows my mind that people believe a prophecy made by a civilization whose leaders cut their own genitals to ensure that the crops grew well.
    a third of the world believes in a prophesy made by a cult honoring human sacrifice

There is no viable 2012 doomsday theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    a third of the world believes in a prophesy made by a cult honoring human sacrifice
    There's also a large contingent of people who think that a bunch of cave dwellers managed to fit a heterogeneous pair from every single animal species on earth into a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyRotBrain View Post
    A recent experiment may have shown subatomic particles moving 6 nano seconds faster than the speed of light.
    Pretty sure that was soon put down as error is measurement (which many 'fascinating' discovers actually are).
    Remember when they newsed all around how CERN probably found Higgs a couple of weeks ago and then suddenly nobody talked about it again? Right, was an measurement error or something, nothing was actually found.
    (That's the amazing thing about science imo, having no problem with correcting yourself).
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I personally suspect denial is also involved considering what this would mean for science in both a good and bad way. Hell it's like the scientific equivelant of ghozer being set free ass hysteria dogs and cats getting along" and well you guys know what i mean. Though again i expected this sorta thing too often do we as both an individual AND as a species think we have all the answers only to find out we didn't. To me this is just another such scenario and in a hundred years if it's true people will probably laugh at is as we laugh at people who used to say the earth is flat or that we were the center of the universe(understandable given their times tech but most people don't see it that way).
    It's actually the opposite. The reason there is skepticism about the project and it's results isn't because it would collapse the sanctity of the generally recognized scientific constants. It's not as if there's some Illuminati'esque cult-like worship of Einstein's body of work that will assassinate people or send them to prison, discredit them and steal their families over making this kind of discovery. It's just that better science is built off of good science. When the results fall within your expected margin for error you cannot make any conclusions; you need to simply go back and do it better...over and over and over and over again.

Particles traveling faster than the speed of light is not going to generate Murray'ian hysteria. It's going to create scientific possibilities. The problem right now is that they need to develop better instrumentation to confirm or deny the claim. Once again, good science isn't about getting the results you want. It's about getting it right.

people dat believe in some sort of doomsday, written by "prophets" or calendars from myan... are really sad, and really really stupid.

how often has that religious nut in the US told us the end would come? wasn't it just as recent as few months ago ? wasn't the year 2000 supose to end all life? there is literally a doomsday every single year, some prophecy, or religious nut... or stupid people, claiming the world will end, which it never actually does...

the world will end when human civilazation destroys the earth, when the air is no longer breathable, when all resources are drained, and we wage war against each other for the little thing we have left. no one is going to be able to predict when that happens, but it will happen eventually. humans can't live in peace, and we'll be the destruction of our race.

either that or a big meteor one day, like the one that slaughtered the dinosaurs :3

I wonder why people keeping dwelling on these things until it becomes an obsession. Fact is: You will not know when The Day Of Judgement will take place. Leave your heart at peace and live your life, for you will not know.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    There's also a large contingent of people who think that a bunch of cave dwellers managed to fit a heterogeneous pair from every single animal species on earth into a boat.
    What lowly specimen of the human race would believe in that? Oh wait...

You know, the universe is nature. Nature doesn't care about humans. We're insignificant to nature. Nature has no notion of years, months or human lives. So if the Sun blows up tomorrow, it wont care if you die or not. The huge amount of known (not to mention the unknowns) extinction events possibly happening in the near future. Or that have already happened and haven't reached us yet because of the distances, are mind-boggling to think. If it does happen in 2012, 2015 or 3084, it doesn't matter.

Humans are so insignificant in the whole picture, that once you realize it, you'll see how petty everything we do is.

Viable and doomsday should not be used in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    Pretty sure that was soon put down as error is measurement (which many 'fascinating' discovers actually are).
    Remember when they newsed all around how CERN probably found Higgs a couple of weeks ago and then suddenly nobody talked about it again? Right, was an measurement error or something, nothing was actually found.
    (That's the amazing thing about science imo, having no problem with correcting yourself).
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have links to the sources, but didn't they run the experiment over 50,000 times to deem the 6ns difference to be statistically significant?

btw: its not the higgs but rather neutrinos =p[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 11:21 PM ----------
    Last edited by guanqi; 2011-11-28 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    Mayan's create calender
    Mayan's continue calender
    Mayan's die out and calender stops

We find Mayan calender
    We see that Mayan calender ends December 2012
    We freak out and think world will end

uh oh

Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    You know, the universe is nature. Nature doesn't care about humans. We're insignificant to nature. Nature has no notion of years, months or human lives. So if the Sun blows up tomorrow, it wont care if you die or not. The huge amount of known (not to mention the unknowns) extinction events possibly happening in the near future. Or that have already happened and haven't reached us yet because of the distances, are mind-boggling to think. If it does happen in 2012, 2015 or 3084, it doesn't matter.

Humans are so insignificant in the whole picture, that once you realize it, you'll see how petty everything we do is.
    This is the types of thinking I cannot agree on, humans are gifted with intelligence, the ability to not only adapt to the environment but changing them to suit our needs as well. Here is a link to what science and technology is potentially capable of. This of course is all speculation, but interesting to think about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p5mZm6GVKM

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this out as there's not really any discussion of the actual thread topics. Feel free to create new threads about the other topics you were discussing, but this thread is officially derailed.

Edit: Here's a link to an ongoing discussion of the FTL neutrinos: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...light=neutrino
    Last edited by Maharishi; 2011-11-28 at 11:31 PM.