Deleted

Surviving damage/limiting damage from a nuclear explosion by wearing white

The brilliant flash of light can burn out the retinas of the eyes if looked at. The thermal pulses can burn flesh and set flammables on fire. Thus, if you see a brilliant flash of light — maybe 25 miles away, immediately turn away from it.
    White clothes reflect light and this can protect and/or reduce flash burns where thermal radiation is a hazard. As a crisis worsens, and you work outdoors, wear white shirts and pants, hat and gloves. Or have the gloves on your person to quickly retrieve and put on as you dart for cover.
    The intense flash and thermal radiation is of such intensity, if one is next to a concrete wall or some other rivetment, as shown in the video of Hiroshima, as they are instantly vaporized, the speed of light burns their shadow into the wall.

Interesting piece, a friend told me about wearing white in a nuclear explosion but... yeah nice find. Might help you survive one. :P

Read it all here:
    http://www.ih2000.net/chembio/nuclearblastsurvive1.html
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-11-28 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    White wont help you one bit.
    I'm sorry, but the force is too strong

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal survivability aside, the damage to the ecosystem is what will kill you (perhaps less kindly) in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    sorry if i misunderstood you, but are you telling me that if i chuck on a white jumper, white trousers, and a white hood to protect my head, i could survive a nuclear explosion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ervill View Post
    They aren't talking about when you are close to the explosion.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    sorry if i misunderstood you, but are you telling me that if i chuck on a white jumper, white trousers, and a white hood to protect my head, i could survive a nuclear explosion?
    If you are close by you are fucked. But it does reduce damage done from the radiation far away. I think that's what they wrote there...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    They aren't talking about when you are close to the explosion.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 04:38 PM ----------

If you are close by you are fucked. But it does reduce damage done from the radiation far away. I think that's what they wrote there...
    25 miles is close to a nuclear explosion.

gamma rays wont stop due to wearing white. radiation from atomic explosion will mostly stop by having 15 centimeters lead or a 1 meter thick wall between you and them.
    and this wont enable you to survive the heat of the blast wave, if u are near enough, but it comes later. so u live longer.
    next stap is ionic radiation from radioactive isotopes, like plutonium / iod / cesium. u eat this nice apple from the tree in the garden after surviving? well u intake some plutonium and start burning from the inside. your bodys organs will slowly disentegrate due to the energy set free from radioactive decay in your blood system / organs. u live longer. but not much.
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2011-11-28 at 03:47 PM.

If you are closeby (100 km from the blast area) the fallout will likely kill within a few days if not weeks, regardless if you wear white eskimo-suit or not.
    But it also depends on what kind of payload is used of course. The one that fits in a large backpack on the ground isn't as effective as those who are launched with a rocket and detonated 600 meters above ground.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ervill View Post
    the force is strong with this one.
    srry, I just had to

10+ Year Old Account
    White? Hmph. All you need is your country's or your god's flag wrapped around your body ----->http://youtu.be/1-q-F8RqhV4?t=37s

"King Varian, you wish to make war on my people!? You shall have your war, human. You will see the fury of the Horde rage through your cities. You will see your throne split in two! This I swear!" -Thrall, patch 4.2.0

Just because white doesn't have a color (if I can put it like that), doesn't mean you won't get affected by the radiation. If you put a small piece of white plastic out in the sun, it will get hot because of the radiation the sun emits. Just like you will get radiation sickness even if you're wearing white. It's true that the color white "reflects" light because it doesn't absorb any frequencies that would show a color, but it will still be hit by the light which will cause heat.

The only way to limit radiation exposure is to be fully covered in a VERY thick layer of lead. Even this is subject to the distance you are from the blast, not to mention the blast wave itself or any reprecusions the radiation blast will have on organic tissue. If a nuclear weapon goes off there might be up to several hundred years before that area is safe again, depending on the nuclear material used of course.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2011-11-28 at 04:01 PM.

Deleted
    Interesting piece, a friend told me about wearing white in a nuclear explosion but... yeah nice find. Might help you survive one. :P
    If you're close enough to see it with your own eyes, you're close enough to get radiation poisoning. Either way, you'll die a horrific death.
    I think the only good way to survive a nuclear explosion is by simply not being close to it.

That's obviously a lie. The best method to survive a nuclear explosion is still 'duck and cover'.

White clothes reflect light and this can protect and/or reduce flash burns where thermal radiation is a hazard.
    The point is the "reduce" part. It may be true, it may reduce the impace by a factor of 0.000001% or so.

The main problem with a nuclear explosion is not the light, anyway, but the wide array of all sorts of electromagnetic waves. Light is only one of them. Radiation and heat are some of the others. They will do much more damage and they certainly wont bother if you wear a white shirt or a black one.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

White clothes reflect light and this can protect and/or reduce flash burns where thermal radiation is a hazard. As a crisis worsens, and you work outdoors, wear white shirts and pants, hat and gloves. Or have the gloves on your person to quickly retrieve and put on as you dart for cover.
    The intense flash and thermal radiation is of such intensity, if one is next to a concrete wall or some other rivetment, as shown in the video of Hiroshima, as they are instantly vaporized, the speed of light burns their shadow into the wall.
    If you are far enough away from a nuclear detonation that your main concern is flash burns, white is not going to do anything noticeable/practical for you.

Also the 'shadow' of people left behind on walls afterwards has nothing to do with flash burns (flash burns will not vaporize) or "the speed of light." The heat (thermal radiation) that vaporizes a person also burns the concrete wall, but the burn on the wall behind the person is slightly reduced because some energy was exhausted vaporizing the person. Less heat energy reaches the wall compared to where there wasn't someone standing. Making it more of an inverse rather then a true shadow.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-11-28 at 06:52 PM.

This is by far the most ridiculous crack-pot pseudo-scientific bullshit claim I've read in ages.

This easily checks in at the top of the list of "trolls with magnets" science comics, the only difference is that I think this article is actually serious.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2011-11-28 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    This is by far the most ridiculous crack-pot pseudo-scientific bullshit claim I've read in ages.
    I have to agree, this even tops Glenn Beck's "space lizards" crap.

Wearing white won't save you from radiation. It won't save you from the heatwave. It won't save you from the shockwave(air or ground). If a nuke goes off anywhere nearby you are DEAD. The best thing you can do if you see a bomb coming down is get as close to impact as possible. Dying quickly in the fireball is 10000000000000000000x better than dying slowly due to radiation poisoning.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If there is a nuclear explosion why would you bother wearing white, if you want to survive you should not even be in a place where you can see it....

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    If you are far enough away from a nuclear detonation that your main concern is flash burns, white is not going to do anything noticeable/practical for you.

Also the 'shadow' of people left behind on walls afterwards has nothing to do with flash burns or "the speed of light." The heat (thermal radiation) that vaporizes a person also burns the concrete wall, but the burn on the wall behind the person is slightly deduced because some energy was exhausted vaporizing the person. Making it more of an inverse rather then a true shadow.
    How is that an inverse? Shadows are areas of reduced light caused by an object blocking light.

An inverse shadow would be if it got focused somehow.

As to the OP, does this mean that black people are kinda fucked in terms of their face/neck/hands?