Thread: PC any good?

10+ Year Old Account

PC any good?

Last edited by Gottie4u; 2011-11-29 at 05:42 AM.
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

Looks pretty good overall. Don't really need 16GB of RAM for gaming use, as only handful of games today even benefit from having more than 4GB.

Big problem though is that half of those parts listed are out of stock temporarily or permanently.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go with a fully modular power supply. The one you listed is semi-modular and your going to have 50% of the cables pre-installed and non-removable.

LOL to the person saying he doesn't need 16gb, 4gb isn't enough 8gb isn't enough - Windows 7 running WoW at max settings and nothing else will be using almost 4gb, 12gb in a triple channel setup is the bare minimum I'd go with. Considering 16gb of RAM is cheap as hell, it's stupid to even come close to running low on memory ever.... future proofing. I've had a 12gb system that I've had running for 3 years now almost and it's still faster than hell. I did upgrade the GPU twice and am now sticking a 6 core CPU in it after I post this and shut down, but the RAM quantity has held its own and will for the future.
    Last edited by Shaemus; 2011-11-28 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    Go with a fully modular power supply. The one you listed is semi-modular and your going to have 50% of the cables pre-installed and non-removable.
    The one listed is not modular at all. And going for fully modular PSU is in most cases waste of money as you will always* need the 24pin ATX power connector and 4+4 pin EPS power connector.

* Always except for secondary PSU powering graphics cards in some silly computers that need more power than single device can deliver.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes you are going to need those cables, but a fully modular design allows those cables to go in different configurations and can really maximize the cleanliness of the build. The one listed has 2 sets of molex, the CPU, the 6+2 pin, etc all bundled together and therefore not completely routable on their own. A good power supply can last a lifetime, it's nice to get something you won't be replacing soon.

Deleted
    wow alone can only use 2gb as it's a 32bit game so it cannot use more than 2gb ram, correct me if i'm wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take into account I already have all of these pieces, excluding the GIGABYTE GPU. Also, as for the PSU, I agree, it was an amateur mistake on my part at the time, not considering it being modular.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 03:25 PM ----------

Also, this isn't for WoW only. This is for just about every game coming out from here on out. I have converted to a full fledged PC gamer.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 03:25 PM ----------

Also, the RAM was on sale for BF, for 30 bucks per set. So, why not?

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

LOL to the person saying he doesn't need 16gb, 4gb isn't enough 8gb isn't enough - Windows 7 running WoW at max settings and nothing else will be using almost 4gb, 12gb in a triple channel setup is the bare minimum I'd go with. Considering 16gb of RAM is cheap as hell, it's stupid to even come close to running low on memory ever.... future proofing. I've had a 12gb system that I've had running for 3 years now almost and it's still faster than hell. I did upgrade the GPU twice and am now sticking a 6 core CPU in it after I post this and shut down, but the RAM quantity has held its own and will for the future.
    Oh please... Windows 7 uses 800~ megs, WoW can only use 2 since it's 32bit, along with every other game available.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am asumming from the posts made, this setup I have is pretty good, no?

Deleted
    Yes. I'd stick with a single pair of sticks however (2x4gb). Less memory controller strain (improves OC capability and reduces wear) - less chance of failure (RAM is one of the most common to fail) - and saves you a bit. In the highly unlikely event you need to upgrade - you can do so at that time. Theres a good chance by then 8GB sticks (2x8gb) will cost the same as 2x4gb does now, or at least fairly close.

I'd recommend the 900 2 over that; link.

Also, that heatsink is pricey, in my opinion, get a CM hyper 212+; link.

Otherwise, looks solid -- besides the HD6970 being there. :P
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adsertif View Post
    I'd recommend the 900 2 over that; link.

Also, that heatsink is pricey, in my opinion, get a CM hyper 212+; link.

Otherwise, looks solid -- besides the HD6970 being there. :P
    Well I do plan on OC'ing, so I decided to go with a strong heatsink. Also, that case seemed too flashy, and square for my taste. And, wha'chu'takin'bout' with dem' 6970's?

No gamer needs anything above 8G of RAM. 8G Itself It almost overkill. You'd only need more then that If your going to do heavy editing or processing, ect. And If you were doing that, you wouldn't get a 2500k. You'd get a 2600K or an 2011.

Deleted
    Delusional is the correct term to describe this, I think. Barely any game uses more than 4GB ram. 8 is more than enough these days, and that's with future proofing.

Ontopic: That's a pretty solid setup you've got there. A 6970 is a great card for it's price.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2011-11-29 at 05:54 AM.