Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Would you make a 6 year old a sex offender?

So here's the situation. You're the parent of a 5 year old girl. She is out with a group of kids her age, and they decide to play "doctor". Upon her arrival back home, you speak to her and find out the details, and that a 6 year old boy may have touched her butt whilst playing this harmless children's game. Do you seek legal action to label the boy a sex offender upon turning 18 for an action he committed at the age of 6?

It happened in Wisconsin.

The boy is 6 years old? Obviously it's not exactly right for them to be doing this but they have to learn somehow. I'm pretty sure most people have played "doctor" once or twice in their lives

No. You are essentially a different person at 18 than you were when you're 6. I can't even remember anything distinct about my being 6. And if memory=identity... then you'd be persecuting somebody for another person's acts.

That is absurd. Congrats America, you've done it again.

Mod Warning: No country-bashing!
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-11-29 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    I.. wow. Just no.

I wouldn't make anyone a sex offender. Those laws are total bullshit. The entire sex offender registry is a bogus, failed system.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I would not. They're kids being kids. Children are very curious which is why parents need to be educating them on what is proper behavior and what isn't.

If my child was touched by a child 1 year older than her, I would talk to her about it and the other child's parents and take it from there. I definitely wouldn't hold a minor accountable for his actions, it's all about the parents.

Deleted
    For the first thing, touching her butt is really nothing. Especially as a small kid at the age of 6 playing a harmless game (doctors)... Secondly, you're not the same person really when you've become 18. Your brain, body and everything around you has changed, you've growned into a man (or a youth if you haven't gotten your morals straight yet).

Conclusion: America is fucking absurb when it comes to this... Can't believe it... :/

6 years old? That is ridiculus ... I mean the kid didn't actually know what he was doing ...

that's just stupid...
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    I wouldn't make anyone a sex offender. Those laws are total bullshit. The entire sex offender registry is a bogus, failed system.
    does someone have a read dot on their house? lol

Is there a link for this?
    I honestly think you guys are making this up. (not actually, I just refuse to believe that something this ridiculous could actually happen)

I have to ask, why was a 5 year old girl "out with a group of kids"?

Deleted
    That boy is horrible! he could have got cooties from her!!
    OT: just plain stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiballa View Post
    Do you seek legal action to label the boy a sex offender upon turning 18 for an action he committed at the age of 6?
    My answer would be...No, you get the boy some help and teach him right from wrong so he doesn't end up as some creeper for the rest of his life with a sex offender charge. It's not too late to save him, if he needs help.

His intent for doing this matters though and changes my answer sorta. Was he entirely aware of what he was doing, like did he convince the girl to play doctor just so he could touch her butt? (also was that really all that happened or was there something else) or was he just a 6 year old being an ignorant kid that was actually playing doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Maybe the system isn't working as well as it should, but sex offender laws are far from bullshit. Its kind enough of us as a society to allow sex offenders to live freely after serving time, but we should at least be able to know where to avoid them. They're mentally very sick people.

Only thing I have against the law is being registered for things like public urination. Kids could go out drinking and pee all over the place and be a level 1.

On topic... I'd talk to my kid about what happened, but that's child behavior. Children at that age don't understand sexuality and have absolutely no compass for it.

reason.com/blog/2011/11/23/parents-sue-da-for-charging-their-6-year?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reason%2FHitandRun+%28Reas on+Online+-+Hit+%26+Run+Blog%29

host.madison.com/news/local/crime_and_courts/lawsuit-filed-by-parents-of-grant-county-boy-accused-of/article_95e9d05e-10c2-11e1-bd3c-001cc4c002e0.html

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Swunq View Post
    does someone have a read dot on their house? lol
    Does someone need to break a law to ascertain it's stupidity? It really isn't effective in stopping those who will repeat offenses, because they *shock* will lie or just not tell people that they are a sex offender. It punishes people without regard to the severity of the crime. Yes, mooning someone is just as bad as sexual assault, right?
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    Maybe the system isn't working as well as it should, but sex offender laws are far from bullshit. Its kind enough of us as a society to allow sex offenders to live freely after serving time, but we should at least be able to know where to avoid them. They're mentally very sick people.

Only thing I have against the law is being registered for things like public urination. Kids could go out drinking and pee all over the place and be a level 1.

On topic... I'd talk to my kid about what happened, but that's child behavior. Children at that age don't understand sexuality and have absolutely no compass for it.
    Shit like this is why the system is retarded. Oh, my neighbor is a registered sex offender, did he molest 30 kids or did he piss behind a warehouse and some cop had a bad day that day?? Same registry.

OT: Just because they sued does not mean they will win. Lookup the Romeo and Juliet clause for sex offenses. I can sue taco bell for having shitty tacos, but it doesnt mean I will win anything.....

Also, tired of the America bashing. Your country is just as stupid, you just might not be bright enough to know it.

If anything the boy suffered from the fear of cooties