Deleted

Computer specs for WoW, BF3 and MW3

Hello MMO-Champion!
    Christmas is in the air and it's time for me to buy a new computer!
    I want to play WoW at Max / Ultra + be able to Fraps Arena Games and Raids. I also want to play BF3 and MW3 on atleast Medium or High setting.
    Been checking over the forum posts here and on other sites and found out that to play BF3 on medium I should have alteast Intel® Core i5-2500 and either GeForce GTX 560Ti or Radeon HD 6850 1GB. Also heard a SSD is a + for faster loading times whenstarting games. So I picked up theese parts for my new
    computer. Would it be able to Fraps WoW and play MW3 and BF3?

Specs I was looking at:
    Cooler Master Elite 430 Midi Tower Black Fans: 1x 120mm Front, Blue LEDs, mATX, ATX, 2x USB, 1x Audio
    Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6pin+1x 6+2pin PCIe, 6× SATA, 120mm Fan
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Socket-1155 ATX, Z68, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI
    Intel® Core i5-2500 Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.3Ghz, 6MB, 95W, Boxed w/fan
    Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB, CL9 Kit w/2x ValueRAM 4GB DDR3
    PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.1, 2xDVI, HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort, 900MHz OR Gainward GeForce GTX 560 1GB PhysX PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, DVI, native-HDMI, VGA
    Sony Optiarc DVD±RW Writer, AD-5280S SATA, DVD±R: 24x, DVD+RW: 8x, DVD-RW: 6x, Bulk, BLACK
    Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 7200RPM, 3,5", KUN FOR KOMPLETT PC
    Corsair SSD Nova Series 2, 60GB SATA2, 2,5", 270MB/240MB/s read/write
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Price: 982 Euros. Think it can be enough for my needs?
    Thanks for replying!

Check out my sig, with those specs Im running BF3 on ultra atleast.

Should be good.

However personally I feel that 60GB is too small to make the SSD worth it.

Deleted
    Cool I see, but the HD 6950 is a bit overkill for my pocket How you think rest of the set-up? Anything I should change? I just don't want to go over 1000 euros!
    And like I said I dont really have to play BF3 on Ultra, I just want it to run smooth at alteast Medium settings. You know how it would work in 25man raids / frapsing arena games with the currently set-up I linked in first post?
    Thanks!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Should be good.

However personally I feel that 60GB is too small to make the SSD worth it.
    I have to agree, plenty of people do, but I've been holding out for at least a 120gb. My old main C: drive used to be a 110gb I believe and I was constantly bad about it getting full. I am a lot better at keeping my main drive clean now though. I could do it with a 60, but would rather have the 120

Deleted
    Alright, SSD is just for faster loading time and I thought it too could be worth sacrifice. So if I keep the rest but remove the SSD I land at 895 euro. It it worth keep the rest of the specs and go with the Radeon 6870? Also can 500W be too low and in that case I can choose Corsair TX V2 650W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 2x 6+2-pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 140mm Fan instead for only 7 euro extra. Too me it feels like I should be able atleast play wow on max + BF on medium! But im a bad guy at PC's

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloudz View Post
    Hello MMO-Champion!
    Christmas is in the air and it's time for me to buy a new computer!
    I want to play WoW at Max / Ultra + be able to Fraps Arena Games and Raids. I also want to play BF3 and MW3 on atleast Medium or High setting.
    Been checking over the forum posts here and on other sites and found out that to play BF3 on medium I should have alteast Intel® Core i5-2500 and either GeForce GTX 560Ti or Radeon HD 6850 1GB. Also heard a SSD is a + for faster loading times whenstarting games. So I picked up theese parts for my new
    computer. Would it be able to Fraps WoW and play MW3 and BF3?

Specs I was looking at:
    Cooler Master Elite 430 Midi Tower Black Fans: 1x 120mm Front, Blue LEDs, mATX, ATX, 2x USB, 1x Audio
    Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6pin+1x 6+2pin PCIe, 6× SATA, 120mm Fan
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Socket-1155 ATX, Z68, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI
    Intel® Core i5-2500 Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.3Ghz, 6MB, 95W, Boxed w/fan
    Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB, CL9 Kit w/2x ValueRAM 4GB DDR3
    PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.1, 2xDVI, HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort, 900MHz OR Gainward GeForce GTX 560 1GB PhysX PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, DVI, native-HDMI, VGA
    Sony Optiarc DVD±RW Writer, AD-5280S SATA, DVD±R: 24x, DVD+RW: 8x, DVD-RW: 6x, Bulk, BLACK
    Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 7200RPM, 3,5", KUN FOR KOMPLETT PC
    Corsair SSD Nova Series 2, 60GB SATA2, 2,5", 270MB/240MB/s read/write

Price: 982 Euros. Think it can be enough for my needs?
    Thanks for replying!
    Looking at the list:

Case: Better off with something like a Centurion 5 II rather then a Centurion 430, preferably a HAF912 if you want it as small as possible.
    PSU: Never heard of this brand personally, personally i'd pay a bit more and go for a Corsair TX550 - 650 orso, better quality remains better.
    HDD: I am not fan of SeaGate, i've seen too many drives of them die in customer rigs or end up with retarded slowdowns, i would prefer going for Samsung HD103SJ or WD Caviar Black for speed.
    SSD: Try and get a Crucial M4 if you want 64GB either that or a SandForce SF-2281 drive, but since people hate SF due to their controllers being unstable, Crucial is the more recommended drive.

Graphics: A 6870 is better then a GTX560, however a GTX560Ti is better then a 6870, so stick with the 6870.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Looking at the list:

Case: Better off with something like a Centurion 5 II rather then a Centurion 430, preferably a HAF912 if you want it as small as possible.
    PSU: Never heard of this brand personally, personally i'd pay a bit more and go for a Corsair TX550 - 650 orso, better quality remains better.
    HDD: I am not fan of SeaGate, i've seen too many drives of them die in customer rigs or end up with retarded slowdowns, i would prefer going for Samsung HD103SJ or WD Caviar Black for speed.
    SSD: Try and get a Crucial M4 if you want 64GB either that or a SandForce SF-2281 drive, but since people hate SF due to their controllers being unstable, Crucial is the more recommended drive.

Graphics: A 6870 is better then a GTX560, however a GTX560Ti is better then a 6870, so stick with the 6870.
    Thanks for your reply! I changed the PSU too Corsair CX V2 600W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus, Standard. 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 120mm Fan.
    I skipped the SSD totally. But I can't change the HDD, first there is no Samsung on the list and the WD ones cost 100-200 euro extra for same memory, 1TB.
    And by the way, im not building it myself. It's a site where they have their standard PC but then you can configurate them But how big difference is it between Cooler Master Elite 430 Midi Tower Black Fan: 1x 120mm Front, Blue LEDs, mATX, ATX, 2x USB, 1x Audio and Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower Fans: 1x 200mm Front, 1x 120mm Back, mATX, ATX, Red LEDs. Just looks to me the HAF912 got a fan in back aslo. It that really important?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloudz View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I changed the PSU too Corsair CX V2 600W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus, Standard. 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 120mm Fan.
    I skipped the SSD totally. But I can't change the HDD, first there is no Samsung on the list and the WD ones cost 100-200 euro extra for same memory, 1TB.
    And by the way, im not building it myself. It's a site where they have their standard PC but then you can configurate them But how big difference is it between Cooler Master Elite 430 Midi Tower Black Fan: 1x 120mm Front, Blue LEDs, mATX, ATX, 2x USB, 1x Audio and Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower Fans: 1x 200mm Front, 1x 120mm Back, mATX, ATX, Red LEDs. Just looks to me the HAF912 got a fan in back aslo. It that really important?
    It's a rather large difference.
    The airflow and cable management is far superior in the HAF912 compared to the Centurion 430, it also allows for far easier expands and whatnot.

Besides the cooler you keep your components, the longer it'll last, and it'll improve overclocking aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad just brought an Asus ultra thingy home... screw games, this thing is amazing!

I just got a job so im also in the PC market, wanting to play BF3 and any game that comes out in the next 6 months on ultra... I have four months off Uni so Ill be able to save up for an amazing computer and an 11 inch ultra book for class next semester

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    My dad just brought an Asus ultra thingy home... screw games, this thing is amazing!

I just got a job so im also in the PC market, wanting to play BF3 and any game that comes out in the next 6 months on ultra... I have four months off Uni so Ill be able to save up for an amazing computer and an 11 inch ultra book for class next semester
    2 Questions:

1: How does your post help the OP in any way?
    2: What relevance does your situation have with anything the OP is having?

Get 1600MHz RAM instead of 1333MHz, price is about the same but it does make about 5% difference in speed. Also 60GB SSD is kinda tiny, 120GB is good size which wont be full in a day.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the help guys! After all your thoughts and a bit more research on the Internet I made this spec out:
    Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower Fans: 1x 200mm Front, 1x 120mm Bak, mATX, ATX, Red LEDs
    Corsair CX V2 600W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus, Standard. 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 120mm Fan
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240
    PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.1, 2xDVI, HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort, 900MHz
    Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 7200RPM, 3,5"

And then I have to get wireless connection because I can't have a cable accros the house:P Should I have D-Link DWL-G520 AirPlus Extreme G 108 Mbps Wireless PCI or a usb-adapter like D-Link DWL-G122 AirPlus G 54 Mbps Wireless USB Adapter . Usb adapter cost 10-20 euro while the in-built is 60 euro How is the difference? I got 24 mbit with very good connection. Cheers guys!

PCI card definitely, USB sticks have hopelessly bad antennas. And preferably try to work around the wiring issue as the quality of connection will be much better.

Also get 2500K model of the processor, as plain 2500 can not be overclocked.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

2500k, and I prefer gskill ram to the corsair, but it's all the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Explosions View Post
    I have to agree, plenty of people do, but I've been holding out for at least a 120gb. My old main C: drive used to be a 110gb I believe and I was constantly bad about it getting full. I am a lot better at keeping my main drive clean now though. I could do it with a 60, but would rather have the 120
    Yea, if you work it out 128gb is Windows 7 + around 10-12 games (Recent ones at that).
    You shouldn't need anything else on your SSD - Downloads, Pictures, Music etcetc should all be on a back-up drive anyway so space should be a non issue with 128gb.

People really underestimate PSU's quality.

Healthy reminder http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1436/1 of course it's taken to the extreme, but PSU is usually where one tries to save that extra $20, or 20€ in this case

We think it is amazing how there are still manufacturers selling power supplies that can’t deliver their labeled wattage. And the worst part is their lying about it. Let’s analyze the features as listed by the manufacturer on the product box (refer to Figure 1):

“Guaranteed to deliver rated specifications at 50º C.” A lie. We could only pull up to 310 W from this power supply.
    “80%+ energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% load condition for less heat generation and lower energy bill.” Another lie. Efficiency was between 74.6% and 77.6% during our tests (not to mention that this unit can’t deliver 100% load).
    “Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 standards and is backwards (sic) compatible with ATX12V 2.01 systems.” One more lie. This power supply can’t be compatible with the EPS12V standard, as it doesn’t even have an EPS12V connector.
    “Powerful +5Vsb rail with 3A rating.” We couldn’t test this one, as we pulled 1 A from the +5VSB output during all our tests.
    “Auto switching circuitry provide (sic) universal AC input 90 ~ 264 V.” Again, a lie. This power supply doesn’t have this feature.
    “Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components.” Yet another lie. This power supply does not support over current (OCP) and over power (OPP) protections.

Well, at least compared to other low-end power supplies, noise and ripple levels were always inside the proper range, and voltage regulation only went outside the specifications during our last test, with the power supply delivering 310 W.
    tl;dr cheap PSU manufacturers flat out LIE about the specs of their product
    Last edited by mosse; 2011-11-29 at 05:05 PM.