Poll: Is AmEx Green woth it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Deleted

Getting American Express, worth it?

So basically I was thinking about getting AmEx Green, I've never owned that type of card before.
    But I'm asking you MMO champ, is it worth it?

I do travel as much as I can, maybe 8-10 times a year. So it seems that I get alot from that.
    Is it worth it besides the traveling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Be smart and its worth it. By that I mean pay it off at the end of every month. Not the minimum payment, the whole balance. You'll rack up your rewards and never pay any interest.

If you are carrying a balance and paying interest than you lose any benefit of the rewards.
    Tobyas (85) :: Tobykenobi (85) :: Uruu (85):: Mykka (52)
    <-- All Chars on Ice Since March 2011 -->
    Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

It's great if you're like me and can't stand having a balance on my cards or having to pay interest. I have a couple of conventional CC's for emergency purposes (and places that don't take AmEx) and just use my AmEx to charge all my other expenses and just pay it off at the end of the month.

I like the multiplying bonus points.. but the real perk with AmEx is their customer service and member benefits (entertainment tickets, travel, hotel)
    I think it used to be a lot more "prestigious" but now they're handing them out like candy...
    Last edited by sheffield; 2011-11-28 at 10:44 PM.

Deleted
    Think I'll consider getting one. All the benefits really outweighs the bad stuff that could come from it if I'm not smart enough.

Thanks!

Problem with Amex Green is the $95/year fee. You can get similar benefits using a Visa Signature series card, without the yearly fee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an AMEX and its not green, its not gold, its not platinum. I don't have to pay full balances (although, I do most of the time), and no annual fee. I get 1.5% cash back for my purchases. I do like their services, especially when I travel and use it. They do not charge me an extra foreign transaction fee that Visa will. There are also other perks. I've thought about going platinum with them when I was offered the card, but eh... I enjoy my low APR, if I would've moved to the other card the APR probably increases a percent or two.

Yes, AMEX green fulfill your needs . They also have a emergency assistance hotline ,, which provides legal and medical helps , when you are away from home . I think , this is a great service for travelers .

I don't know if it's an option for you, but if you have a Costco membership you can get the Costco AMEX for no annual fee. It gives you a % back on purchases depending on their nature (gas, travel, food, other).

The thing I like the best about it is the extended warranty feature. Any item you purchase on it gets its manufacturer's warranty doubled up to one year. I bought a laptop with it for Christmas two years ago, and the monitor died on it a month ago. The warranty normally was for one year, but the AMEX warranty extended it through this December. Long story short, AMEX credited the purchase price (~$600) back to me. Nothing beats the cash for a new computer, especially if it now has the graphics card for D3. Nuf said.

I have an AMEX and its not green, its not gold, its not platinum. I don't have to pay full balances (although, I do most of the time), and no annual fee. I get 1.5% cash back for my purchases. I do like their services, especially when I travel and use it. They do not charge me an extra foreign transaction fee that Visa will. There are also other perks. I've thought about going platinum with them when I was offered the card, but eh... I enjoy my low APR, if I would've moved to the other card the APR probably increases a percent or two.
    there isn't any APR on the platinum since it's not a credit card.. i'm assuming you have the blue cash back card.. so many better cash back cards out there than that one..

the credit cards aren't eligible for the member benefit points.. only the charge cards are.. that's why they carry the annual fees..

i have the gold charge card and costco amex too, but i only use the costco one for membership.. seeing as the cost of the annual fee & annual costco membership is the same

imo, the credit cards aren't that good.. if you're gonna get a regular CC.. find something w/ a better deal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    there isn't any APR on the platinum since it's not a credit card.. i'm assuming you have the blue cash back card.. so many better cash back cards out there than that one..

the credit cards aren't eligible for the member benefit points.. only the charge cards are.. that's why they carry the annual fees..

i have the gold charge card and costco amex too, but i only use the costco one for membership.. seeing as the cost of the annual fee & annual costco membership is the same

imo, the credit cards aren't that good.. if you're gonna get a regular CC.. find something w/ a better deal
    No, I don't use the blue card. I guess I should've clarified that what I meant about not green, gold, platinum is that it is a Bank of America cash rewards AMEX, which does have APR on the platinum version without the annual fee if you are offered it. And I'm sure there are other credit cards out there that give higher cash back percentage, but what is the APR on it? And is it restricted to certain types of purchases ex: gas, groceries, pharmacy. I know if people pay the full balance in, they won't have to worry about APR, but is that the reality? Not everyone pays off their full balance. With the Add it up cash back program from BoA and the card's existing cash back 1.25% (need to correct myself in my previous post where I stated 1.5%), I get quite a good deal on my purchases.

In which parts of the world do you travel? At least in Europe (and perhaps Asia too?) be prepared for a bunch of occasions when AmEx is not accepted, but Visa/Master is. It's not really often that it happens, but basically if a place accepts credit cards, they will accept visa at least.