Cool First time build: Gaming Computer

Allo all. Long-time viewer, first time poster. I've set out to build myself a gaming computer and I find myself needing a bit of advice.
    Combing through Chaud's computer builds and some Cyber Monday deals I've picked out a few pieces.
    As of now my build is this:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
    Graphics Card:[Edit] XFX HD-695A-CNFC AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB Graphics Card
    Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit for Intel LGA1156/AM3
    Monitor: ASUS VH238H 23-Inch LED Monitor
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboards GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2
    DVD: Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564

I'm hoping to play most games (Skyrim, BF3, Guild Wars 2) at high/superior settings and I live in the US.

As of now this totaling around $1200 after factoring in all the rebates and whatnot. What I'm pondering is whether or not I can find any alternatives to these items /or/ if something else would be better. My budget is stretched as it is with this current build so anything that is equally good and less expensive is what I'm on the lookout for.
    Last edited by WyvernHail; 2011-11-29 at 01:54 AM.

Fuzzeekee
    That build will play anything at max settings for awhile if you had a bigger framebuffer/video memory size. The framebuffer on your video card is only 1GB, you should have a 2GB radeon HD 6950, if you are considering BF3 at the best possible settings. There's also the geforce 560ti as the alternative, though it's not much slower....The hard drive is going to be really expensive because of the lack of current supply (flooding in thailand), if you have an older hard drive you might be able to get away with that for awhile and shave off $170.

Do you plan on editing large photos, creating large pieces of art in photoshop, creating large maps for games, creating large 3d models?

If the answer to all of the above is no, congratulations, you've been tricked into the "bigger number is better" scam. The 2500K will deliver all of your gaming needs, while providing a better overclocking service.

Other than that, plain sailing. I would personally buy a GTX 570 than an ATI, but that's personal preference.

No need for the i7 2600k, downgrade to the i5 2500k and save yourself $100.

Then, spend it on a GTX570, but I guess you could buy a 6970, just prefer nVidia.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    Do you plan on editing large photos, creating large pieces of art in photoshop, creating large maps for games, creating large 3d models?

If the answer to all of the above is no, congratulations, you've been tricked into the "bigger number is better" scam. The 2500K will deliver all of your gaming needs, while providing a better overclocking service.

Other than that, plain sailing. I would personally buy a GTX 570 than an ATI, but that's personal preference.
    Man that is the best display picture you have ever. Look at that friggen moustache.