10+ Year Old Account

SLI or new card?

Currently I'm running a GTX 460 SE OC'd about as high as it'll go on stock cooling. However, after playing Skyrim and TOR, I'm really thinking about one of two things. Either get another one of these same cards (which might be complicated) and run them in SLI, which I've done in the past with 8800GTXs; or, just get a 5xx series card that I'm assuming will run better than the two in SLI.

I don't have a lot of money to spend. I'd say $200 max, might be able to stretch to $250. Any recommendations? I've been really happy with just this one card so far, but like I said, these newer games just aren't up to my stringent standards. If I can't run a game in max settings at 50+FPS constant, I feel it's time for a change.

Well, its very possible that a 5xx series card will run faster than 2 460's in SLI

However it depends on which card. As far as i remember the only 5xx card you can get for $200 is the 560 or the 560ti, which probably wont run faster. I would probably get another 460 or save up some more money untill you could get a 570 or 580. Personally the latter of the 2.

460 SE's a slightly watered down version of the 460 so I'd just aim for a 5 series card. (560 TI you want to stretch that $250 mark)
    New and shiny compppppp!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    460 SE's a slightly watered down version of the 460 so I'd just aim for a 5 series card. (560 TI you want to stretch that $250 mark)
    Actually, The SEs are far better for overclocking than the base 460s are. My friend is running a 460 (which is where I got the idea for the card, just got the SE because it was on sale) and I can OC mine higher than his at a more stable rate. I seem to have issues with shadows, but everything else is amazing. I'm currently using EVGA percision, with 845/1690/1940 settings. Even at these settings, at max usage it sits around 58°C, which is almost 30° cooler than my old 8800GTXs.

But again, I just feel like this card is...outmoded quite a bit. I can run WoW with all sorts of max graphics tweaks, in the middle of a raid, at 60+FPS in DX11 mode just fine. Skyrim kicks around 40-60 depending on what's going on, and TOR can barely break 50 at max settings.

If another card at these settings would give me a significant boost, then I have no problems getting another. Amazon has them for $125. Well within my range. I just figured a 'budget' 5xx card would do infinitely better, but after looking at some comparison sites, the 570 (or higher) is about the only thing that would do better than my current card, or my current card in SLI. I'm just really, really impressed at how well this card can OC; kinda makes me wonder why the stock settings are so low!

You kinda just answered you own question. No point in getting a 5 series if you're OCing the card that much assuming every game you play will support SLI (though 2 stock in SLI would beat out a 580 in most benches b/c of well it scales from what I understand.)
    Last edited by Icpie; 2011-11-29 at 07:53 AM.
    New and shiny compppppp!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    You kinda just answered you own question. No point in getting a 5 series if you're OCing the card that much assuming every game you play will support SLI (though 2 stock in SLI would beat out a 580 in most benches b/c of well it scales from what I understand.)
    Well the thing is, I know how much I can OC THIS card; I didn't know if getting, say, a 560 would give me a vast improvement. I'm not going to spend that kind of money if it'll only get me like 5 FPS in a game.

The other problem is, a lot of games either don't fully support SLI, or actually run WORSE with SLI turned on. I'd rather go with a one-card option, but I can work with SLI if need be. I guess I'll settle for another 460 SE now, and save up for a 580 or something after X-mas.

If you get another 460 SE now, I'd say wait for the 6 series release before you buy a new card.
    New and shiny compppppp!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, as above, AMD 7*** series arriving December/January, nVidia 6** series arriving early next year I think.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K