Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I like WoW. I like TOR. Both are great games. But I'm tired of the WoW setting and want to jump into something fresh and new. TOR is it.

Deleted
    Why do people hate comparisons and rivalry. Rivalry is everywhere you looks. Sports has massive rivalry. Rivalry and competion is in our blood! *sniff, sniff* i..... I smeell fear in this one

I have never figured out why only in MMO's is it unacceptable to not have more than one contender, for some reason MMO's and its players got stuck in this king of the hill mentality. Maybe it stems from the fact that early on there was really not many games in the genre or something, but I've always wondered why it is that only MMO's really have this outlook.

Both of these games foster a competitive attitude, "us versus them" factions, and a constant drive to improve and be the best. How can the culture at large help but be this way?

I'm totally drinking a Orange Juice, Apple Juice, and Pineapple Juice mixture right now. I see no reason you can't like multiple MMO's. The real question is wtf game is Pineapple????

10+ Year Old Account
    i agree with you so much
    But that SW:TOR just kill my raid group for now... I lost 2 of my best player... my MT and and best dps.... :S and, eventually, my tank healer...
    but hey, life continue, and I'm happy for them they will still enjoy their gaming, whatever game they play

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyBucky View Post
    I'm totally drinking a Orange Juice, Apple Juice, and Pineapple Juice mixture right now. I see no reason you can't like multiple MMO's. The real question is wtf game is Pineapple????
    I almost spit my water on my screen!!! good one !

Quote Originally Posted by Rugdoctor View Post
    That comparing World of Warcraft to The Old Republic is like comparing apples to oranges(or potentially space apples).

These are two different games with a similar core, geared towards two separate kinds of players.

WoW fans should love WoW, ToR fans should love ToR.

Why the endless need, on both sides, to hate? Chill out, stop being such jerks to each other, everyone has their own bag.

Why can't we just simply compare WITHOUT hate? I never understood all that hate anyway.

I completely disagree about the apples vs. oranges.
    We are essentially talking about the same game with a different skin here. SW:TOR is basically a snapshot from WoW from somewhere pre-WotlK in a new skin and then evolved some (maybe a lot) into a different direction.

IMO comparison is VITAL to find improvable flaws - in both games. Since someone else obviously showed that those aspects CAN be improved.

Deleted
    I like WoW, and played since beta. I will take a break from WoW and test SWTOR. After seven years of WoW I feel that I need something else. I played this weekends stress test and was convinced that I will give SWTOR a try. If I stay or not is up to Bioware, if they keep it intresting I will most likely stay. If they fail I will most likely go back to WoW again, and maybe think it will be fun again.
    Time will tell..

No. They are very similar. They are different sorts of apples, but they're both apples nonetheless. And they both are good games.

The stupid thing is not comparing them, it's the amount of hate. It's the same hate that is directed at either game even without comparing them with anything. Any slightest change - same haaate.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are (at least i believe you are) mentally comparing the TBC version of WoW with SWTOR. World of warcraft is not what it used to be, which is why people leave. What happened here is that WotLK brought in people who had no business in playing the game. They lack the mentality or dedication required to play a MMO. MMOs were initially created for people who would rather connect with others trough the internet rather than in person at a movie or bar. That says allot and enough without bashing anyone.

What blizzard did with WotLK was show the farmville population and the singleplayer RPG players plus other random people that didn't like MMOs in the first place aswell as the stigma that came with them that they can play the game and get instant gratification like in other types of games. MMOs in general are built to simulate a fantasy/sci-fi world but more importantly are simulating a small society of people. And like in real life, you have people that gain status trough trinkets and influence. That means, again, like in real life, that allot of work has to be put into digital items for them to be worth something to the player. Which is where the grindy aspects of vanilla WoW came from. So that's a type of game we have here, different from your usual "push one button, monkey gets banana" type that WoW is today.

That concept doesn't work well with people that don't care for this way of playing a game; you know who I'm talking about. But WoW did something very different than it's predecessors. It was hard enough to give you the feeling of gratification after a long period of chasing an item, but easy enough for you to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so it doesn't look impossible.

What that did was open the door for change, and when blizzard realized that not only "nerds" could enjoy their game there was no turning back. They had to begin a process of streamlining the game so that it allows them to bring in more and more players. TBC was the BETA test, which proved successful as it increased the number of players from vanilla times and then they got really greedy with WotLK, which basically called in all types of people to their game. But the base structure of an MMO was still there. You had to know people, be part of a community, and that proved tiresome for the "log in one hour press button log out" crowd, which wasn't supposed to even be playing an MMO in the first place. So they implemented LFD, which is filled with impatient epic horny creatures, trolls, and more importantly it's anonymous because of the way it was implemented.

So, my point is that WoW had the community going for it, it had it's bugs and glitches which made the game enjoyable, it's classes left ways for creativity to play a role the in experience players had, and the very best mechanics and game responsiveness in the industry, even to this day which helped create the visceral and fast paced combat we all know and love. But they wanted more, so they are going the way of the theme-park at the moment, and i have to say, that after playing up to level 20 in the SWTOR beta, it's a better ride than WoW is at the moment.

My guess is that is why people are comparing these two games. They indeed are apples and oranges, but the apple is trying to paint itself orange for some reason (read: money). WoW should stay what it was in Vanilla, TBC and the first months of Cata, because if it tries to compete with TOR, it's going to end badly. I believe that's what TITAN is, the answer to TOR and other forthcoming MMOs, and that WoW is going to hopefully remain the barrier, the fence between hardcore and casual, what it was in vanilla.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Torticoli View Post
    Hypothesis :

Don't you think ?
    Oh its a perfectly acceptable theory, however we have the same thing in the sports world and you don't have Jets fans hoping that the Patriots completely fail out of existance. Rivalry, us vs them, is a healthy thing. The problem though in MMO land its not a Rivalry, its almost like some form of ethnic cleansing. If you are not a WoW guy or an EQ guy or whatever then you must be erased from existance .

Its one thing to have your favorite and cheer them on, and its a whole different deal when you start hoping for someone elses demise simply because you think it makes you better.

Deleted
    After my experience on the beta week end, I couldn't help comparing both experience.
    Not the games themselves but the experience.
    I remember fondly my first days in WoW; first time playing in a real 3D environment and all ... it was magic
    Playing sw: tor for the first time wasn't as much all mysterious and shiny but it was a real kick. I enjoyed myself a lot, loved every second of it and it was really nice comparing to my last months in Wow.
    I'm not judging the game, it's just that i kept playing by force of habit when I should have stopped a while back. I should have realized earlier there was no point in playing when I wasn't having fun anymore.
    I'm really hoping this game will be a success. I'm also very excited about being in this adventure from the start which wasn't the case with WoW that I caught after BC and i know I missed a lot.
    When something new comes along, you can't help comparing it to something you know well. I don't see the problem in that.
    I too am confused about some posts I read here and both on the wow and sw;tor forums. i don't understand the animosity either. Some virulent posts make you almost feel like a traitor for not enjoying wow anymore and that's not fair. Some automatically assume that if you decided to quit it's because you were a bad player and that not fair either. I know that because I happen to know a very good counter example (a very good friend of mine, a mage since vanilla quit the game at the beginning of cata ... and he was far from being a bad player, both pve and pvp. He just hated the class, what had been done to it and stopped playing. I did the same, just took me a while longer to realize -I'm no mage though-).
    What I am a little afraid of though is of swtor not picking up. This fear is not based on any hard evidence or anything. i liked it so much and I'm planning on it being my main game for a while and really want it to have a future.
    Somehow, thinking more wow players will feel like me and come play star wars feels like a reassurance that the game will be fine. I know it's a little stupid to feel that way but I can't really help it.
    Maybe the most virulent anti-wow feel the same way but just aren't very rational in their way of expressing themselves. Perhaps that annoying wow fanboys claiming swtor will be a dead end react to the same process of thought; feeling their game is in danger and not reacting well to it or just feel personally insulted when someone states they had enough of the game they still love. I felt a little like that when Rift came out and people claimed it was going to bury WoW.
    I'm saying perhaps, not trying to psycho analyze anyone, just trying to understand ... based on how I feel. Could be wrong of course, probably am. Anyway, had my say, thanks for reading.

Deleted
    i compare wow to runescape cause it was here earlier than wow. WOW YOU ARE THE RUNESCAPE CLONE! SHAME ON YOU.

but on topic i could not agree more. this rage against new mmorpg is huge...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaeli View Post
    i compare wow to runescape cause it was here earlier than wow. WOW YOU ARE THE RUNESCAPE CLONE! SHAME ON YOU.

but on topic i could not agree more. this rage against new mmorpg is huge...
    the big thing is, people are close minded :x

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Apples and oranges have similar cores???

In my opinion it's like comparing apples to space apples!
    Apples and oranges are both fruits just with different tastes. That's kinda the point.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

10+ Year Old Account
    Both games are similar, I always expected this from SWTOR though.

I used to love WoW, but I have grown bored of it, I will not bash it though, as it is the no. 1 mmo for a reason. I do think SWTOR will give it a good challenge though, both fans should be happy of this though. Competition is good.

I'm also so bored of 'fantasy', i'm loving this new 'sci-fi' mmo, pew pew lasers :P

People need to stop the 'copied from wow' shit though. WoW also copied all their shit from another MMO, this is just the design of an MMO that works.

I agree , its not a wow clone at all, yes there are similarities for sure, SWTOR took some of the better stuff from wow and geared it to their game, i dont see anything wrong with that at all, WOW did the same thing with EQ. The similarities are there, but the games are different enough to make them two very different experiences. I never felt at one time like i was playing WOW while playing SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Said OP

Deleted

Does it matter ?

There is no value in comparing SW:TOR with WoW.

All SW:TOR needs, is to be successful in its own right. If it's a commercial success that players enjoy, then its job is done. Whether it is like or unlike WoW is of no relevance whatsoever.