Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If I preorder online to get early access but buy the retail version...

Do I get to use my early access? I bought the retail version, but they didn't give me a pre-order code because they said they were done giving them out the day before, so my question is that if I pre-order online, enter in the code, then use my retail version, will that work?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Elijah; 2011-11-30 at 05:20 AM.

Deleted
    Maybe I don't get it, but are you telling me you bought the game twice or?

yeah...sounds like he paid for the game twice. that is the only way to get a pre-order code and also have the retail version. not sure why anyone would do both.

Lol. No. I'm paying 5 dollars for a pre-order online while paying the full 60 for the retail.

Yes it will, preorder code and game code isnt the same, once "headstart" ends you just apply the game code to your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post
    Yes it will, preorder code and game code isnt the same, once "headstart" ends you just apply the game code to your account.
    Alrighty, one more question. Why does it say "You may play up to 5 days early!"? Is that because of the amount of people trying to play, or what?

15+ Year Old Account
    Where did you buy from? Where do you plan to PO from?

Need more information before you can get help.

[e]:

I misunderstood. Alanni is right, the codes are seperate ( That's if they HAVE any left, though. )

And it says that, because they're staggering early access. The earlier you activate your PO code, the earlier you get into EA. You may have PO'd onday 1, but not get in until the 4th day of access.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
    Lol. No. I'm paying 5 dollars for a pre-order online while paying the full 60 for the retail.
    I am pretty sure you will still be charged the full $60 ordering online, and the full $60 for ordering in store. It is $5 up front for the pre-order reservation, and then $55 once the game comes out.

And the "up to 5 days before" they are gating early access. So say the first 20% of people who preordered will get in 5 days early, the next 20% will get in 4 days early, etc. They haven't released specific details, but pre-ordering now will probably get you in on the 19th instead of the 20th, so just 1 day early. That is just a guess though.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
    Where did you buy from? Where do you plan to PO from?

Need more information before you can get help.

[e]:

I misunderstood. Alanni is right, the codes are seperate ( That's if they HAVE any left, though. )

And it says that, because they're staggering early access. The earlier you activate your PO code, the earlier you get into EA. You may have PO'd onday 1, but not get in until the 4th day of access.
    Thank you all very much for clearing that up. Much appreciated.

Alrighty, one more question. Why does it say "You may play up to 5 days early!"? Is that because of the amount of people trying to play, or what?
    The truth is that there is no way to say if it's worth it or not. The reason it says "You may play up to 5 days early!" is because everyone who entered their code was put into a line. You'll get access according to that line as they let more and more people in. Because it's so late already you may not get into to 1 day or maybe not even at all. No one knows how many people they are going to let in for early access. On a positive side they might let everyone in but might just be covering themselves in case they can't.

If you pre-order from Amazon there is no down-payment. They charge you full price when the game releases. And from what I've seen from Bioware, you could theoretically enter the pre-order code you get from Amazon to get into the early access and cancel the pre-order from Amazon so that you don't get charged twice. Then just apply the product code from the box you buy at the counter once the game goes live and you are golden.

Deleted
    Bioware are being quite vague about this but have basically said in addition to getting access up to 5 days early they are planning on staggering access and basing the priority on when you placed your preorder.

...but they didn't give me a pre-order code because they said they were done giving them out the day before..
    Tell that place that they're wrong, and that you demand your pre-order code.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhidharma View Post
    Tell that place that they're wrong, and that you demand your pre-order code.
    I bought the game a while back, so I don't think that'd work. Hahaha.

yes your code will work, its not tied to the game code, but be warned this close to early access you will probably only get 1 day of access. so i hope you weren't looking forward to the full 5 days.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post

And the "up to 5 days before" they are gating early access. So say the first 20% of people who preordered will get in 5 days early, the next 20% will get in 4 days early, etc. They haven't released specific details, but pre-ordering now will probably get you in on the 19th instead of the 20th, so just 1 day early. That is just a guess though.
    To be honest, Im fairly confident anyone that preordered before 11-11-11 will probably be in no later than the day after Early Access started. I think what Bioware is really trying to prevent is what happened with Rift Early Access. They sold digital presale copies all the way to and through Early Access and people were buying the game minutes before Early Access and were able to login. Really pissed me off because it felt more like release than Early Access. But again as you said nothing has been released to say how they are going to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    To be honest, Im fairly confident anyone that preordered before 11-11-11 will probably be in no later than the day after Early Access started. I think what Bioware is really trying to prevent is what happened with Rift Early Access. They sold digital presale copies all the way to and through Early Access and people were buying the game minutes before Early Access and were able to login. Really pissed me off because it felt more like release than Early Access. But again as you said nothing has been released to say how they are going to do this.
    I just think it's pretty dumb. I went up there to buy the game and the guy told me that the day before they literally stopped handing out early access codes. Kinda bullshit if you ask me.

Deleted
    I just think it's pretty dumb. I went up there to buy the game and the guy told me that the day before they literally stopped handing out early access codes. Kinda bullshit if you ask me.
    Well the EA store "ran out of stock" of the limited edition by the time I preordered. Which is pretty impressive for what amounts to a license key generated by an algorithm.

Given that Bioware stated early access would be based on how early you preordered I would say that is in effect their cutoff date.

Heck i just ordered from Amazon and got my pre-order code...

On a similar tangent, I pre-ordered the CE from gamestop very early and entered the code, once the early access period ends is there any reason I would need to go pick up the box at a midnight release to keep playing?
    You know you want my sword.