Need Help Improving FPS for WoW

I bought this custom built like 2 years ago and am looking to eventually start upgrading all the parts. Currently in a 25m raid my FPS is pretty much unplayable; it drops to around 5fps at times. So any suggestions on upgrades to improve my FPS would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs:

CPU - AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core
    Mobo - XFX Geforce 8200
    4gb DDR2-800MHz
    550-Watt Power Supply
    EVGA 9800 GT PCI-E 2.0 (core clock: 623 Memory: 900 Shader: 1557)
    stock cooling

My GPU is pretty outdated. And it doesnt really have an impressive clock on it, so if there is any suggestions on upgrades i should get. My hope would be to find a card that i can get at least 2 yrs out of, raid 25m's with relatively high settings and low fps, and also stick to my $200-$250 price range. The more affordable the better

thanks for your input.

Your CPU is holding you down the most. WoW Is a CPU Intensive game.

If anything you should be buying a new mobo and cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157251

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115078

Those should do you nicely for WoW. Once you can get more money you can get a better graphics card. Like a 560Ti.

Above is correct, except need also new RAM as the existing DDR2 will not work with the new board. Could even get much cheper graphics card like Radeon 6770 or GTS450 after processor+motherboard if WoW is the main focus, but those will be kinda sucky in BF3 for example.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with Panda ExPac coming out, you will probably want to look into upgrading everything but the PSU... I would recommend getting a cheap PC from ibuypower.com. They are fantastic.

hey thank you all for the reply's i ended up purchasing the Asrock motherboard that was suggested and am saving some more money for an i5 2500k motherboard.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 04:06 AM ----------

One more question for everyone:

After looking at some CPU's i'm trying to decide between the i7 2700k or the i5 2500k. How can you tell what a CPU is designed toward? would the i7 be better? I have a family member who works at best buy and can get me the i7 2700k for real cheap. Like $100 cheaper than the i5 2500k.

Thanks

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkledine View Post
    hey thank you all for the reply's i ended up purchasing the Asrock motherboard that was suggested and am saving some more money for an i5 2500k motherboard.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 04:06 AM ----------

One more question for everyone:

After looking at some CPU's i'm trying to decide between the i7 2700k or the i5 2500k. How can you tell what a CPU is designed toward? would the i7 be better? I have a family member who works at best buy and can get me the i7 2700k for real cheap. Like $100 cheaper than the i5 2500k.

Thanks
    If you can get the 2700k cheaper than the 2500k, definitely get it. The 2700k has hyper threading which generally isn't a benefit to games, but it does have a higher clock rate so should perform better.