10+ Year Old Account

Could this year be the death of the BCS (if everything falls into place)

Let's imagine a few things:
    -UCLA beats Oregon
    -Georgia beats LSU
    -Uconn beats West Virginia
    -LSU-Bama part duece happens.

You would have a 7-6 and 7-5 team in the BCS, a rematch of two teams FROM THE SAME CONFERENCE, and neither won the conference championship.

I'm doubtful that that scenario would happen, but are we looking at the end of the BCS here?
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

God, I hope so. Once the BCS Is gone, college football will get more Interesting. Bring on the playoffs!

I'm just wondering: are you talking about some hockey teams here?
    I never heard of these teams. Probably because I don't live in america. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    All I saw was "Could this year be the death of" on the hot topics bar, I assumed the end of the sentence was "...WoW"

Pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorriow View Post
    I'm just wondering: are you talking about some hockey teams here?
    I never heard of these teams. Probably because I don't live in america. :/
    Nah, that's the NHL. This Is College Football, NCAA. There's a system called the BCS that determines which team goes to what bowl, national championship, ect.

Who else is going to be #2? Alabama is the best team with 1 loss. Who would you have play LSU? The only undefeated conference champion outside of LSU is going to be Houston, and no one wants to see LSU destroy a Conference USA team. In the system that they have Alabama has to play LSU, they are the best 1 loss team.

Hopefully this may open their eyes though to some sort of playoff system in the future.

Frankly, no. BoLws make entirley to much money for them to just go away and make a playoff. It sucks but honestly i'll still take ncaa football over the nfl anyday. GO BUCKS

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Nah, that's the NHL. This Is College Football, NCAA. There's a system called the BCS that determines which team goes to what bowl, national championship, ect.
    Thanks you. Sounds interesting imho. I guess I google about it to get some more informations. :P

Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Who else is going to be #2? Alabama is the best team with 1 loss. Who would you have play LSU? The only undefeated conference champion outside of LSU is going to be Houston, and no one wants to see LSU destroy a Conference USA team. In the system that they have Alabama has to play LSU, they are the best 1 loss team.

Hopefully this may open their eyes though to some sort of playoff system in the future.
    I put my money on Ok St being a better #2 than bama. Also watching lsu and bama quarterbacks are like watching train wrecks happen over and over and over. I'm all for good defense, but it could be ok defense and still stop them. Give me Blackmon against that badass lsu secondary and I'm all ready to watch but bama again? na... to many other good bowls I can watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorriow View Post
    Thanks you. Sounds interesting imho. I guess I google about it to get some more informations. :P
    It's the worst excuse for deciding a champion you'll ever see
    Last edited by Byniri; 2011-11-30 at 06:15 AM.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    It's the worst excuse for a postseason you'll ever see
    Unless your a lesser tiered team who gets to enjoy bowl season, make some money for your school, chance to travel to a place like Hawaii and get some cool feel shwag....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshiz View Post
    Unless your a lesser tiered team who gets to enjoy bowl season, make some money for your school, chance to travel to a place like Hawaii and get some cool feel shwag....
    I worded that badly.

I'm talking about deciding a national champion.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as the bowl operators are making millions off the bowls, nope nothing will change. There have been plenty swells of support for a playoff over the last few years and there will be again this season, but nothing will change.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    As long as the bowl operators are making millions off the bowls, nope nothing will change. There have been plenty swells of support for a playoff over the last few years and there will be again this season, but nothing will change.
    sad but true. wish there was a reasonable way for us, the fans, to make our voices heard in this thing (not gonna suggest a boycott, I know it'll never happen...)

the conference bias is the worst part, really. some conferences (MAC, for one) will never crack the top 20, even with an undefeated team, while the SEC never has fewer than 5 in the top 10. not to mention the fact that SEC teams play each other all the time, yet when high-ranked SEC teams play each other, the loser never seems to fall more than 3 or 4 slots...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    sad but true. wish there was a reasonable way for us, the fans, to make our voices heard in this thing (not gonna suggest a boycott, I know it'll never happen...)

the conference bias is the worst part, really. some conferences (MAC, for one) will never crack the top 20, even with an undefeated team, while the SEC never has fewer than 5 in the top 10. not to mention the fact that SEC teams play each other all the time, yet when high-ranked SEC teams play each other, the loser never seems to fall more than 3 or 4 slots...
    The rankings are there to show who is the best team. MAC will never crack the top 20 because the football programs in the MAC are terrible in comparison to the big conferences. Look at Houston, undefeated Conference USA champion. They had a good season in their conference, but if you put them against any of the top 3 in the SEC they would get destroyed. Arkansas, LSU, Bama would all crush them. The SEC is rated so high because the teams in it are so good. It hurts a lot less to lose to a school like LSU than it would if you were 11-1 with 1 loss coming in the PAC-10, or 1 loss coming in the Big-12. Rankings are more about strength of schedule than just going out and winning games. If you play in the MAC, your schedule is pretty damn easy in comparison. Akron, Bowling Green, Ball State, Ohio U? I'd say going 10-2 in the SEC would be more impressive than going undefeated in this conference.

I doubt it even if everything falls into place. I think they have a committee looking at some changes but it's hard to get people to change when they are already making millions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    The rankings are there to show who is the best team. MAC will never crack the top 20 because the football programs in the MAC are terrible in comparison to the big conferences. Look at Houston, undefeated Conference USA champion. They had a good season in their conference, but if you put them against any of the top 3 in the SEC they would get destroyed. Arkansas, LSU, Bama would all crush them. The SEC is rated so high because the teams in it are so good. It hurts a lot less to lose to a school like LSU than it would if you were 11-1 with 1 loss coming in the PAC-10, or 1 loss coming in the Big-12. Rankings are more about strength of schedule than just going out and winning games. If you play in the MAC, your schedule is pretty damn easy in comparison. Akron, Bowling Green, Ball State, Ohio U? I'd say going 10-2 in the SEC would be more impressive than going undefeated in this conference.
    Totally agree. The MAC teams are jokes. Their games all end up 68-63 each week because none of the MAC teams play a lick of defense. Put a MAC team up against an SEC team, Big 10, Big 12, etc. and they will get hammered. In fact, they usually do...

Ohio's toughest game this year was against Rutgers and they were dominated.
    Temple played Penn State and should have won, but let PSU's anemic offense get 14 points which was enough to hold on.
    Kent St played Bama and lost by 41
    Bowling Green played WVU, lost by 45.
    Miami (OH) lost to Minnesota, the worst team the B1G has seen in years.
    Buffalo got dominated by a couple Big East teams.
    Akron lost to a bad Ohio State team by 42-0 and a mediocre Cinncy team by 45.
    NIU lost to Wisconsin by 42.
    Toldeo should have beat OSU and got dominated by Boise
    Western Michigan got rolled by Michigan but did beat a "scrappy" UConn team
    Ball St lost to SFU by 30 and Oklahoma by 55
    Eastern Michigan lost to Michigan by 28 and it wasn't even remotely that close
    CMU lost to Michigan St by 38

And that in a nutshell is why no MAC team will crack the Top 20. To get there they need to go undefeated which means wither not scheduling any tough out of conference teams, which would sink their SoS and keep them unranked, or they need to actually beat a real big name team which isn't going to happen in most years. MAC games are wildly entertaining to watch, but those teams aren't good at all, which is what makes them entertaining really.

Real shame that WVU won last night. I died a little inside when USF's QB fumbled on their last drive as they were driving to win the game, or at least take the lead with a minute or so to go when they would have scored. I was really, really pulling for the chaos scenario of the Big East losing its AQ this season by not having a single top 25 ranked team. What a joke that conference is. Hopefully the voters sink WVU for that horrible game.