Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which DPS class do you think will be the least played?

I hate playing a class that the majority is playing so I plan to roll one of the rare ones. I'm sure healers will be rare but I don't like healing as my first char in MMOs.

So what do you guys think will be the least played class/spec?

I have a feeling that the Imperial Agent - Engineer will likely be the least played of all classes. In fact, I saw many Snipers during the open beta, and didn't see a single Engineer.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Good question
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs
    wow is finnish lore is died

Smuggler Scoundy?

Smuggler anything, judging by most polls I've seen.
    Yub Yub

Smuggler.

Even before beta launched, polls put smuggler at leaps and bounds below the other classes in player's desire to play, even lower than imperial agent which was also unpopular but at least moreso than smuggler. This was a sample of several thousand forum-goers too.

After playing a smuggler myself, I got tired of it's mechanics quickly and I certainly won't be playing it. The cover system would've been nice as a perk or bonus to the class, but having it required to do virtually anything as a smuggler just makes it far too weak and vulnerable and uninteresting to play.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Gunslinger. Should be plenty of Scoundrels that are healers.

Vanguard will be pretty rare too, especially DPS Vangaurd. From everything I've seen in the beta Commandos are simply better suited for DPS at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smuggler. And if I had to guess, it would probably be the Scoundrel or Saboteur.

Strongly disagree with most of the above.

Gunslingers aren't going to be common because they're a poorly designed class (even for a pure), but the least common DPS class in my opinion will be Vanguard. A lot of people will go Commando because of BFG, because it's better DPS (at least as tuned at the moment), and because Vanguard is perceived as a tank class more than a DPS class (same as Guard is) leaving the more common DPS players to just go Commando.

Quote Originally Posted by anewok View Post
    Smuggler anything, judging by most polls I've seen.
    Yep. The cover mechanic is really not for every1.

I think Smuggler might be one of those sleeper classes that everyone ends up playing as an alt. I saw a lot less JKs than I expected to, come to think of it, but it might've been a different story over on the Sith side.

Polls are showing that Smuggler and Imperial Agent are the two least played classes with Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular being the most popular. Really looks like people like Light sabers. I cant talk because I will be playing a Sith Warrior.

My guild switched to republic so I'll be playing a Scoundrel. Inb4 cries for smuggler nerfs!

Quote Originally Posted by TehZmann44 View Post
    Polls are showing that Smuggler and Imperial Agent are the two least played classes with Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular being the most popular. Really looks like people like Light sabers. I cant talk because I will be playing a Sith Warrior.
    Yeah. JC is kind of the mage class in TOR = lots of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I have a feeling that the Imperial Agent - Engineer will likely be the least played of all classes. In fact, I saw many Snipers during the open beta, and didn't see a single Engineer.
    Engineer?, you mean Operative right? there is no Engineer class in Sw:tor.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Engineer?, you mean Operative right? there is no Engineer class in Sw:tor.
    He means the Engineer tree in Sniper I believe. Everyone was Marksmanship specced for Sniper.

Smuggler/IA for sure. I'm ok with this as I intend to roll one.

Deleted
    Gunslinger w/o a doubt. People will opt for all the other hybrid combo's and Force users are more popular ab ovo. DPS will be very close anyhow. Not like WoW where you can be 5-10k dps apart on 30k.

Deleted
    I don't think I can give a definite answer, but I can stir up the conversation a little.

There's 2 major things that will happen. As the devs have said there wouldn't be a hybrid tax, then there is little incentive for people to roll pure dps classes.

On the total flip side to that though, is that people who can heal, are expected to heal. So having a hybrid class (like Consular sage) might have you pigeon-holed into healing, meaning if you can successfully manage to thrive as a dps Sage, you will be in the minority.

Like people above have said, you can try one of the classes that has a complicated mechanic (cover) but that might infuriate you.

Unfortunately I think the best answer would be not to go for an obscure class, but one which is interesting and fun (though for you, obscure can be fun, nice paradox)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I don't think I can give a definite answer, but I can stir up the conversation a little.

There's 2 major things that will happen. As the devs have said there wouldn't be a hybrid tax, then there is little incentive for people to roll pure dps classes.

On the total flip side to that though, is that people who can heal, are expected to heal. So having a hybrid class (like Consular sage) might have you pigeon-holed into healing, meaning if you can successfully manage to thrive as a dps Sage, you will be in the minority.

There might be some truth to that about being forced in a way to heal but I'm not fully feeling it. What I found is that many times as a JC DPS, I would off heal a little or shield though I was a main balance DPS. I was not talent spec to be a full healer and it damn sure showed. I'm not sure I was ever that good as a back up healer but I could do a few heals and shields if things looked like it was stressing the main healer. However, I looked at it as my job to make sure the group survived VS just what DPS I was doing.

I found myself using all my talents at times to the groups benefit and not just my own. I think players will be able to manage as a JC DPS but I also don't think they should avoid healing a little just cause their DPS Spec and thats just not what they do. Some my best runs have been me doing the majority of my time as DPS with small amounts of heals and shields. It was damn fun I can tell you that playing that way.

Like people above have said, you can try one of the classes that has a complicated mechanic (cover) but that might infuriate you.

Unfortunately I think the best answer would be not to go for an obscure class, but one which is interesting and fun (though for you, obscure can be fun, nice paradox)
    I really didn't get the chance to play enough classes to decide what would be the least played DPS but I could see where the cover mechanic might limit that groups numbers.