The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

To fail an invasion

So I've been thinking, actually more or less since my first failed invasion... why can't there be more that happens than nothing? They always say when an invasion is failed something along the lines of "X zone has been overrun by monsters from the plane of Y!!!" I'm thinking that players should then have to take the zone back and the zone pretty much could not be used for questing till players take it back, like the zone could get overrun by footholds and rifts and have invasion spawns dotted all over the map just sitting there waiting to defend, something truly epic, a lot like the "Battle For Freemarch" major event.

Thoughts?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

They have a line that they must walk. Ember Isle is the solution. On Ember Isle if you do not defend the sourcewells they get taken over and the invasions never despawn.

The reason it is like this is simple and it was forethought on Trions part and trust me they did lose subs because of it. Ok you goto say a medium pop server where most of the population is 50. umm K zone event fails for whatever reason more then likely do to population.

Now your entire lowbie zone is basically a death trap and everyone is too high level to want to help. GW2 fans will jump on here and tell you that is exactly what that game will do, but the question still applies. Come 8months down the line will anyone care about the lowbie zones?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's a good point, perhaps for helping to take back the zone there should be rewards appropriate to the person's level? Idk... it would just be another way to add things to do and spice it up, not that it isn't fun as all hell already. ;p
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah it's a good point, perhaps for helping to take back the zone there should be rewards appropriate to the person's level? Idk... it would just be another way to add things to do and spice it up, not that it isn't fun as all hell already. ;p
    Ember Isle is a bit different. Technically the invasions do come into a town and just roflpwn the npc's. The big qq is they despawn. Now if a zone event which shuts down every quest hub was permanent, then bam people would unsub left and right.

It is such a fine line between convenience and consequences. You are not the only thinking somehow their should be a consequence. Honestly I found myself yelling at the 50 population on Wolfsbane telling them to come help on Ember. Really what kind of meaningful consequence could you do that would not results in unsubs or pissing off the casual population.

10+ Year Old Account
    sigh you have a point. Ember Isle certainly improved on all of this, I was more thinking about older zones. Like Shimmersand just had a failed caravan event, lololol... then Derinku or w.e was like "this land now belongs to the Golden Maw!" Uh huh... if they could revamp the older zones, at least zones like SS and SM to be more like EI, it might make it a bit more interesting to say the least. :P
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So I've been thinking, actually more or less since my first failed invasion... why can't there be more that happens than nothing? They always say when an invasion is failed something along the lines of "X zone has been overrun by monsters from the plane of Y!!!" I'm thinking that players should then have to take the zone back and the zone pretty much could not be used for questing till players take it back, like the zone could get overrun by footholds and rifts and have invasion spawns dotted all over the map just sitting there waiting to defend, something truly epic, a lot like the "Battle For Freemarch" major event.

Thoughts?
    Invasions, rifts and events used to be much tougher. Even mini-bosses during the Freemarch event could take like 15 mins to drop with like 80 people fighting the mini-boss. Failing to kill off a foothold or win an event left those mobs there permanently and they got stronger over time.

The problem? It made the game very close to unplayable for enough people the outcry resulted in events, footholds and rifts being made somewhat trivial.

Simply: People preferred getting from point A to B, choosing when they fought over immersion & consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Invasions, rifts and events used to be much tougher.
    Didn't all foothold mobs used to aggro when you tried to pull one? I've noticed that footholds now are fairly inconsequential to clear. The guards can usually be pulled individually and none of them are that tough even without the 'exhaustion' debuff.

There are a few invasions that become worse when you fail. The epic fire one in Droughtlands and the epic wind one in IPP come to mind, when you fail the whole zone is overrun with footholds (unless that's been changed).

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Didn't all foothold mobs used to aggro when you tried to pull one? I've noticed that footholds now are fairly inconsequential to clear. The guards can usually be pulled individually and none of them are that tough even without the 'exhaustion' debuff.

There are a few invasions that become worse when you fail. The epic fire one in Droughtlands and the epic wind one in IPP come to mind, when you fail the whole zone is overrun with footholds (unless that's been changed).
    They added a debuff to foothold mobs so that the longer they are around the more empowered players are at in defeating them. Again, this was because a lot of people found it ultimately a hassle to wait for footholds to dissolve or to beg for help in clearing them out. When really all they wanted was to vendor some stuff or run to that dungeon/DRR/porticulum.

Being inconvenience is not really something MMO players are keen on. Ergo, the change that allowed players to mount indoors. People actually hated being dismounted when going to the mailbox. It was changed.