Poll: What do you do when dialect starts??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    also it's spam spacebar and press 1.. i think 99% of my answers were 1 lol

Deleted
    I loved the voice acting, it's very immersive for the story. But after my 6th run through of Black Talon I was seriously bored of it, it really seemed that 2/3rds (subjective time ofcourse) of the flashpoint was listening to npcs talk. That will make rerunning the dungeons on heroic mode even more painful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torticoli View Post
    Why you would play a Bioware game if you don't like long dialogues and story exposition is beyond me. Why you would still play it, and then complain about it, is actually impressive in its absurdity.
    because thats the only reason why people play bioware games, or rpg's in general.. why play an RPG if your not going to role play.. makes no sense.. at all.. ever... nope.

I haven't tried ToR at all yet, but I'm just going to comment based on my past experience with other games. The story is typically one of my favorite things when I first begin a game. My first playthrough or two I take the time, read all the dialogue and watch all the cutscenes. But, after those first couple of times it gets very repetitive. The same thing happened with WoW, my first couple of characters I really took my time and explored the world and read all of the quests because it was enjoyable. And, when Cata released I did the same thing when I leveled my Goblin with all new quests. But, it gets old after a point, and I'm not the type of person who can read a story or read quests many times over without getting bored. It's just part of the game getting old. And, as awesome as all the voice acting and dialogue and whatnot in ToR looks, it too will get old eventually. In order to have a truly revolutionary MMO, it's going to take more than advanced story telling imo.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Middle ground would be reading the quest text?
    There is a quest log and subtitles so you can skip as fast as you read.

I loved the story. Actually really pissed I couldn't have found out what happens further on in the Bounty Hunter great hunt quest line. I will eventually.

The only time I skipped dialogue was when PvP queue popped up in the middle of it.

I skipped all of the dialogue on the beta, simply because I didn't want to spoil the story and want it to feel fresh when I play live in a few weeks.

Deleted
    That's not the only reason, but it's a big one. Also, may I point out that roleplaying, in a Bioware game, mostly revolves around said dialogues, in which you choose how your character will act and react ? Separating the two would be silly, in Bioware's case.

EDIT : And, before trying to be a smartass, maybe you could make an effort on your writing. Just saying.
    maybe people like playing the game because its an mmo, and star wars. You can actually follow the story pretty easily with skipping 90% of the voice overs. skipping the voice overs does not effect your choices..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    I have no idea what you're wanting. How can you have a middle ground between being involved in the story, or skipping it? Do you want cliff notes or something?
    Bioware could add a TLDR option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Bioware could add a TLDR option.
    You must mean TL;DL, as you don't have to "read" most of the dialogues in gathering and turning in missions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

I read the sub titles, then skipped the audio after I had finished reading. I rather enjoyed the story (WoW I seldom read quest text, but swtor seemed to captivate me) but I did not want to sit around waiting for the npc to finish talking when I could just read for myself and then skip.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Deleted
    Skip-spam for me!
    Whenever i want a good story i'll read a book or maybe watch a film.
    Normally i want to play when i'm in a game!

Deleted
    I'm sure that's the case, and it's entirely okay to play the game the way you want, including by skipping every cutscene. My point is that it's a Bioware game, and that complaining about the amount of dialogues and cutscenes in a Bioware game makes no sense at all to me. You might as well complain that the world in Skyrim is too open and gives you too much freedom.
    oh i have no problem with the dialog and its nice that the voice over quality and story are both top notch.. my problem lies with grouping and lack of skipping dialog as a group. You can counter this a bit outside of flashpoints etc by just starting the convosations on your own, having the freedom to watch or skip as you please. Flashpoints however require all members to accept before advancing.. this can be VERY annoying. Ive seen people not skipping scenes when there is no dialog but instead just you typing something in a console which last like 60 secs.. this is the same group i just finished the same place with.. its just sooooo annoying.

listened to, enjoyed, and remembered up to 26 on my consular so that i can skip it all and power run my way up when it goes live, so i'm ahead of the curve and can slow down and enjoy more of the story

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Middle ground would be reading the quest text?
    Well, in that case, there is a middle ground. There is a quest log with the objectives made very clear. It doesn't have the dialogue, but I wouldn't expect it to. So, for those that want to skip the dialogue, go right ahead. Personally, I'm going to listen to it. At least the first time on each side and the class quests everytime. When I roll alts, I'll still listen to it for class quests, but the side quests, probably not.

EDIT: There is also the option to skip it, then read through your chat log (there's an option for quest dialogue) to see what you missed. But after playing WoW for 4 years, I don't ever want to read another quest text.
    Last edited by Aviney; 2011-11-30 at 06:10 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I skip most of the dialogue if I have done the FP before. I was in one Esseles run where the entire group was skipping it and it made the run so much faster.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobe View Post
    oh please go play BF3 or MW and leave the RPG's.

if you just want to kill things there is plenty of games. whats the point in playing an rpg if you don't take the time to enjoy the story. When you watch a film (was going to say read a book but realised the futility of that statement) do you just skip to the end?
    this x1000. I'll be very happy if people like OP decide not to waste their parents' money, and buy/play the game.

Why do some people still seem to think that SW:TOR is trying to be successful through it's voice acting?

Honestly..

Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    Why do some people still seem to think that SW:TOR is trying to be successful through it's voice acting?

Honestly..
    Well, some people aren't people, they are just trolls lol...

Deleted
    If I hadn't played Mass Effect, I would have skipped aswell. But that game learned me that this way of bring the story is fuckin awesome. I skipped some stuff, but that was to not spoil shit for when the actuall game release is out.

I don't mind if people don't like voice acting questing...but I hate it when they start to b*tch about it since you know this game is all about that.