Recommended PSU for i7-3930K?

What kind of PSU is recommended for the 3930K chip running on a ASRock X79 Extreme4 Mobo, with a GeForce GTX 550 Ti GPU?

I have a Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU I'd like to use until I upgrade the Video cards. Would like to know if that PSU would get me by?

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't quote me on this but 500 watts should be fine. If it's an old unit it could be just barely enough to put out enough wattage but can't see any harm trying

PSU is a couple months old, and the GPU has a recommendation of 400w. Just hoping to get by for a few months, until I can afford to upgrade GPUs.

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by Swiffer; 2011-11-30 at 09:07 PM.

Deleted
    What do you plan to use your computer for anyway?

Intel core i5 2500(k) if you'r only gameing
    Intel core i7 2600(K) if you'r also doing something that needs many cores, etc video editing.
    Then one you have choosen is for really heavy multithreaded apps, and wouldn't yeld any difference from the i5 in gameing.

But yes a propper 500watts should could handle it (Unless it's some crap)

10+ Year Old Account
    Question: If you can't afford to buy a proper PSU, why the hell are you springing for a $600 chip?

If you're gaming, video editing, etc... go with a 2500k or 2600k, get a good PSU, and upgrade that GPU of yours.

yea a 3930k is overkill if you are not into professional video editing ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Hey, maybe he likes to overkill :> Who are we to judge anyone. I say, go for it!

750W model of the TR2 is crap, dunno about 500W model if it's any good or not.

Really strange combo to have paid $1000 for CPU and motherboard while using $50 PSU and $100 graphics card...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

@mnm, you're right, I work in film, and often edit and encode for work purposes, with personal editing as well. ie Media Stream Clip, Adobe Premiere & After Effects.

PSU and GPU are from another system, and don't plan on using it for very long.

Buy any Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Antec 750W 80+Bronze and ull be happy =P

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Buy any Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Antec 750W 80+Bronze and ull be happy =P
    The plan is to buy a corsair 1000w or 1100w Modular psu, for a SLI set up with 570s

Also, found Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator on Newegg.

Thanks all for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Swiffer View Post
    The plan is to buy a corsair 1000w or 1100w Modular psu, for a SLI set up with 570s

Also, found Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator on Newegg.

Thanks all for the help
    Do yourself a favour and completely ignore that one, as it's completely off the line. Two 570s and a 3930K, and you'd want a 850w PSU. If you're still hesitant, http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp is a good (better than Newegg's) source to use for confirmation

Also, stay far and far away from the HX1000 from Corsair if that's what you're looking at. Possibly one of the worst PSUs on the market, if it's still out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=xfx%20850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...air%20ax%20850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151102
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151105

Increasing levels of how good they are.
    You won't "need" anything better than the first.

Among other things, but most premierly (spl?) these two things: It's a dual rail, meaning it's effectively 2x 480w PSUs. This isn't necessarily bad.
    However, normally, dual (or multi rail) PSUs crosswired. This, however, does not. It sends 480w to the everything except GPUs, and 480w to the GPUs.
    You tell me, would you like to run 2-3 GPUs from one (albeit dedicated for that purpose) PSU? I wouldn't.

This is taken from my memory, a memory whom doesn't work well under stress, exhaust and sleep-depravation (and after eating chocolate, coincidentally) and I'm having at least two of those right now. (And neither is from chocolate. :[ ) so do take this with a slight grain of salt.

Also, the Corsair AX850 is a very good PSU, but most of the Seasonic high-performers are (since they made the AX 850)