Tip to help ensure account security when game goes live.

What I did for my WoW account and recommended for every one on here is to take a pick of all the free email services out there yahoo, aim, new one from your ISP, etc. Register a new email account and ONLY use this address for accessing your SW:TOR account now that the password change went thru i went ahead and did the same.

The reason is with in a few months of launch "Gold Sellers" will be out in force, by doing this if any email you get is in your new account then you know its real, but if it comes in your old account then you know its a fake.

Deleted
    Yes this will help a bit, the other factor is people going on less than reputable sites and in the process getting keyloggers.

For those that don't know it the way you get "hacked" is through keyloggers or by submitting your credentials on fake sites. I can say almost certainly that people can't bruteforce the account of any modern game by using a tool to run through a series of password combinations. As really it is not too far a stretch to say that any online game account will lockout after a semi reasonable amount of failed attempts.

I have spoken to quite a few WoW players that are adamant that someone gained access to their account after a massive amount of password attempts which sounds completely unlikely.

Also when clicking links in e-mails, be extra careful. They can easily make their site look like the official site and can steal your password that way. One of them even used a capital "i" instead of a lowercase "l' in the word Blizzard so the URL looked legit.
    You know you want my sword.

Even better: Don't ever click the links provided in emails. If you receive an email stating that there is something wrong with your account, simple navigate to the site, log in and check that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always a good idea to start a new email with each MMORPG that comes out with remote success. But authenticators are also very nice, looking forward to seeing bioware release a android app in the near future. Definitely one of the better things Blizz did that didnt cost something in the past couple years.

Or you know, don't be stupid and click on any link you see.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggoron View Post
    Also when clicking links in e-mails, be extra careful. They can easily make their site look like the official site and can steal your password that way. One of them even used a capital "i" instead of a lowercase "l' in the word Blizzard so the URL looked legit.
    From the wiki oracle:
    The domain name portion of a URL is not case sensitive since DNS ignores case: http://en.example.org/ and HTTP://EN.EXAMPLE.ORG/ both open the same

Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    Yes this will help a bit, the other factor is people going on less than reputable sites and in the process getting keyloggers.

but when people tell me that it drives me up THE WALL LIKE MAD!

Its the FREAKING internet! It was made to explore and look at nasty shit we were told not to when we will 6. All I do I go to disreputable website! Its my number one hobby, I spend hours on them! Its like buy a corvette and being told don't ever go past the speed limit, don't ever go past 100 its just not safe! theres no way! SO WHATEV!

Quote Originally Posted by rboa View Post
    From the wiki oracle:
    The domain name portion of a URL is not case sensitive since DNS ignores case: http://en.example.org/ and HTTP://EN.EXAMPLE.ORG/ both open the same
    He's sayin the "L" in Blizzard was an "I" so looked ok but was completely dodgy