Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well probably Guardians, since they can tank and although there is no trinity, tanking will still have its advantage sin dungeons.
    Without disproportional threat or artificial threat generation there can be no tanking class in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I recall necromancers have more health than guardians so the idea of using a guardian to tank,if you want to play that way seems pointless.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Warrior will most definitely excel in the tanking bit. The website itsself says so.
    After that most likely Guardians.

Those will most likely be the most wanted in my opinion. Even though they are not neccesarily needed to tank.

EDIT:

Even though there aint no trinity, there is still the fact that some use cloth type gear and others use plate type gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutorial View Post
    Warrior will most definitely excel in the tanking bit. The website itsself says so.

Those will most likely be the most wanted in my opinion. Even though they are not neccesarily needed to tank.

EDIT:

Even though there aint no trinity, there is still the fact that some use cloth type gear and others use plate type gear.

While that's true an elementalist in earth attunement is just as good as a plate wearing warrior.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Ask yourself this, what does "tanking" mean? At least in the context of Guild Wars 2. Keep in mind that there is no artificial threat generator like taunt in the game.

Tanking is not mitigation.

Every class has mitigation options equally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnysack2 View Post
    Well probably Guardians, since they can tank and although there is no trinity, tanking will still have its advantage sin dungeons.
    Tank, no holy trinity, contradiction?

Makes me glad my main isn't going to be guardian. All the noobs will expect you to ''tank'' and you will have to deal with a lot of mobs all the time.

They should not have named that class, Guardian.

Psychologically, it sets up a whole lot of bad expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They should not have named that class, Guardian.

Psychologically, it sets up a whole lot of bad expectations.
    Why shouldn't it be named guardian? It is infact a guardian... they put up bubbles to protect their allies from harm, they put down lines/circles of warding to GUARD people, it seems very fitting if you ask me..

Now if they had a class called Tankadin then it'd make sense that people would expect them to tank... people are just stupid and think guardians are wow paladins though...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post

Now if they had a class called Tankadin then it'd make sense that people would expect them to tank... people are just stupid and think guardians are wow paladins though...
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens in game.
    I have a feeling it'll be a lot of wipes until people realize tanks and healers don't exist or work in gw2
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Why shouldn't it be named guardian?
    people are just stupid and think guardians are wow paladins though...
    Read what you wrote, XD

Deleted
    or simply even a guardian cant tank 3 mobs for longer than 4-5 sec
    each member will have to tank for 5 sec and use their defencise cds - cc
    group play , tank-rotation among players , u know
    Last edited by mmocbeb563a6f8; 2011-12-02 at 07:12 AM.

EDIT:

The type of armor is not going to significantly impact a classes ability to "Tank" Sure a guardian could tank... as long as their shields and walls hold out and then they will go squish like any other nublet that stand there and takes it. The fact is most of the proffessions have access to at least one ability that alows them to "Tank" for a short time, the guardian is no different other than the flavor of the damage avoidance ability. The only classes that make better tanks in this sense are the ones with more than one damage blocking ability. They can tank for 10 seconds out of each minute by chaining them instead of just for 5 seconds. that still does not make them viable tanks, just gives them different options for helping controll a fight while a different prof would stun the target instead of blocking the strike.

Who is John Galt?

Think of "tanking" in this game, the same as "tanking" would apply if you went into a heroic now with all DPS classes in WoW. One person (maybe two) would have aggro and they would have to "kite" the mobs and whatever and use cooldowns to stay alive and probably be crafty a smart to be able to survive, yet still doable. That's what I figure dungeons are going to go in GW2. Someone will be the "aggro holder" for a set amount of time, at which point someone else will take over and be the aggro holder and either kite or use a cooldown to stay alive.

The great thing about this game is that it was DESIGNED to work this way, while in wow, you would probably wipe a long time before you figure out what you needed to do and probably not be able to actually do very much without the right class combinations, not to mention no way would you be able to do bosses.

Assassin control "tank".

Tripwires + stuns = hell yes

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout15 View Post
    Assassin control "tank".

To add to this, a smoke wall ability that blocks projectiles was promised for Thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout15 View Post
    Assassin control "tank".

thieves with swords are actually really good tanks in pve, it's hard to hit someone who jumps around via standard-attack.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjOM2eKsJM
    Last edited by Maarius; 2011-12-05 at 08:04 PM.

Just when I thought I killed Deathwing!