Skyrim Dragon shouts

When you upgrade one does its cooldown get longer too? seems counter-intuitive to me work to upgrade something to be able to use it less
    Gaze long unto an abyss, and the abyss will gaze back unto you.

The cooldown does get longer, but the spell gets better.

Fus Ro Dah is probably the best example, at level one it has a quick cooldown and a stagger effect, at level three it has a long cooldown but works like a physics gun, allowing you send enemies flying off of cliffsides and the like.

Usage for usefullness is how it works, a lot of the shouts are crazy strong enough to be worth the cooldown (those that aren't usually have short ones), if you want to use the level one, you can just tap them and still belt it out.

i suppose I just use elemental fury a lot cause I dual wield so I need it often but since I double enchanted my sword I can't use it. Have you used slow time? Is it good for combat? I'm lvl 64 with 5 shouts, I just seem to avoid all the ruins with shouts lol.

Slow time's good, but not at level one

It slows time but affects you too, so just becuase you see an attack coming won't mean you'll be able to dodge it, the higher levels of it do let you move faster than time is slowed. Haven't tried level three yet, I need to hunt down a dragon and remedy that.

Damn I have too many souls I think 30 or so

Deleted
    You can pick which shout you use even if you have all 3.
    If you tap it you use the first, weaker with less CD version.
    If you hold it slightly you get the second, slightly strong with a longer CD.
    If you hold it until it casts you get the 3rd and final strongest version.

This way you can mix and match depending on your situation. Sometimes using a really powerful version is a waste when you might need it soon (and you don't need the strongest version to start with)

---------- Post added 2011-12-01 at 03:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Medivh the Prophet View Post
    i suppose I just use elemental fury a lot cause I dual wield so I need it often but since I double enchanted my sword I can't use it. Have you used slow time? Is it good for combat? I'm lvl 64 with 5 shouts, I just seem to avoid all the ruins with shouts lol.
    Just a tip:

Use a shout in a city. Sometime when you are in a city you will get a mail from a courier with a message telling you where to find walls. This will work in multiple cities and sometimes multiple times.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also get shouts by talking to the main guy up in high htrothgar, he will point you to a place where you can learn a new shout
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Always with whirlwind sprint lol I just need to actually go where he tells me...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    You can also get shouts by talking to the main guy up in high htrothgar, he will point you to a place where you can learn a new shout
    he doesnt for me, they're just mad i kill parthunax

Please keep all Skyrim discussion to the primary thread.