What do you do when you finally reach a long-term weight loss goal?

So I have finally reached my longer term weight-loss goal. I have come down from around 193lbs to 160lbs and am about 6"0. I do weight training 3 times per week and cardio 5 days per week, twice per day. I normally end up running about 7-8 miles per day. I also go to a large college where I walk everyday to class and areas around campus. My diet is not nearly as good as it could be, but it has worked for me, and that's all that matters. I began going from once per day cardio to twice per day cardio when I first came to college, realizing I needed to do something to offset the mostly unhealthy food they served at dining halls. I ended up losing a good portion of weight and decided to stay with it. The problem is, I have been so disciplined for so long with my exercise routine that I feel guilt that I didn't go for that second run of the day. I also have my conscious telling me I need to keep it up or the weight will come back. I wouldn't say I particularly enjoy running twice per day, but it feels like my body tells me I have to. Should I ease up now that I have reached my goal, or just keep chipping away at the number on the scale? I feel like going below 160lbs just seems too low. Not that it's a bad number, it just sounds low to me.

Eat what you want now...but just make sure to keep the activity levels going...and if you eat more than you think you need...just increase the days workout. As-long as you stay active no matter what you eat aslong as you burn it off you wont gain. But just don't go back into your old lifestyle or you'll just gain it all back.

Wow, cardio twice a day, and running for 7-8 miles also? Ok, here is something to chew on. In a few years, this will stop. You will have a job, working 50-70hrs a week, and then a girlfriend who will need time too. We all make the transition, though some do it more successfully than others. Once you are around 30, you are going to make a decision, and it will involve is 160 the right weight, or maybe 180 or 200. You will probably be able to exercise 3-4 times a week, just once a day. Even eating changes based on where you live, who you live with, and once you have kids, how little time you actually have. Kids have a way of absolutely destroying your schedules. I would say 160 is too low for a 6 ft guy, but you might have a fairly lanky frame and it works better. I'm 5,9, and at 180lbs, I was at the correct weight, based on my frame. I could go lower, if I wanted the 6pack and cut weight like a wrestler, but for a good balance, 180 worked for me. Find your balance point, that doesn't take 30hrs a week in exercise. You won't have that much free time forever.

Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    Wow, cardio twice a day, and running for 7-8 miles also? Ok, here is something to chew on. In a few years, this will stop. You will have a job, working 50-70hrs a week, and then a girlfriend who will need time too. We all make the transition, though some do it more successfully than others. Once you are around 30, you are going to make a decision, and it will involve is 160 the right weight, or maybe 180 or 200. You will probably be able to exercise 3-4 times a week, just once a day. Even eating changes based on where you live, who you live with, and once you have kids, how little time you actually have. Kids have a way of absolutely destroying your schedules. I would say 160 is too low for a 6 ft guy, but you might have a fairly lanky frame and it works better. I'm 5,9, and at 180lbs, I was at the correct weight, based on my frame. I could go lower, if I wanted the 6pack and cut weight like a wrestler, but for a good balance, 180 worked for me. Find your balance point, that doesn't take 30hrs a week in exercise. You won't have that much free time forever.
    Thanks. I realize this will come up, and I am worried about gaining back the weight when I graduate and start working a lot more. When I said cardio twice a day, I meant 3.5-4 miles twice per day that added up to 7-8 miles per day. It has been tough, but once I got into a good routine it was manageable.

As you get older you will discover that even if you want to, your body will not be able to withstand the pounding of running 7-8 miles/day.

You might want to start mixing in different sorts of aerobic activities like biking or rowing. Non-impact = much easier on the body. I was killing my body just from 30-45 minutes/day jogging. Now I can do 50-60 minutes of rowing and a few minutes after I am done, my body feels great. No injuries, no lingering pain, and I can do it every day even in my late 30's.

Yes, as you start working you will find it much harder to keep exercising regularly. Try to improve your eating habits. Even minor changes can be a big help. Cutting out late night snacking and cutting down on certain carbs or fried food, for example.