Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    There are many ways to do this fight and basically it is like this:

Do you have good dps?
    -try 2 tanks 2 heals 6 dps.
    A: if you manage to kill the tentacle before the meteor comes then you are golden.

if A is not possible all the time, then you might want to drop a tank for a dps like the above poster did so that you are certains to
    1: kill the tentacle before it could cast a second empale
    2: kill tentacle before missile arrives
    3: easily burst missile and adds.

Then for the order it is really simple:
    1: keep the "keeper of time" for last if you do not have CDs to survive the meteor, otherwise kill it in 3rd
    2: if you have just one tank you might want to keep the green boss until last so that the tank has an extra CD
    3: if you are playing with 7 dps you should not have issues with dps, if you have, then you leave the blue dragon for 20% extra damage for last.

So what is the order?
    Green -> red -> yellow for time -> blue

When you reach blue, you want to make sure to call out for the missile and use two CDs for the raid: tank CD and aura mastery for example.

Good luck

We are doing the fight for the first time this evening, and planing on running with 7 dps, DK tank and HolyPally/Resto Shammy. First, would it be possible with this setup? We are all in around 380 ilevel gear.

If its possible, what order do you think would be the best for us? I was planing on doing Red->Blue->Green->Yellow. Does this sound decent?
    Last but not least, anyone have a idea of how the DK should use his cooldowns to survive the impale?

Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    We had a rather special way of doing it I think. I'm not sure if it's intended and we just slacked healing wise but the tentacles kept killing us when the meteor hit (random crush hitting the raid instead of the tanks). So instead of going Green ->Red -> Yellow -> Blue we did Green -> Blue -> Yellow -> Red. Maybe we should have changed Red and Blue around but for us the tentacles dying from Red platform felt a lot easier then having strong AoE. It did mean we had to single target the bloods on the last 2 platforms and we were severely lacking haste and dmg buffs for the last few platforms. We did have about 5-10 seconds left without using BL on good attempts so I guess our dps was just strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Uniqed View Post
    We are doing the fight for the first time this evening, and planing on running with 7 dps, DK tank and HolyPally/Resto Shammy. First, would it be possible with this setup? We are all in around 380 ilevel gear.

If its possible, what order do you think would be the best for us? I was planing on doing Red->Blue->Green->Yellow. Does this sound decent?
    Last but not least, anyone have a idea of how the DK should use his cooldowns to survive the impale?

Thanks in advance!
    Your dps should be fine at that gear level.

Note: for DK impale: bone shield up with IBF plus healer CD, with the blood shields already built it should be ok.

Now the little bits that help whever your order. You need to go with one order and then change things according to what gets you stuck.

Start with thrall platform, this will remove the green raid button raid CD first. The reasoning is simple; you should have enough dps to allow the tank to only be subjected to one impale per platform.

Start dps on the boss, switch on the boss and spread out. No single player should have anyone behind or in front of him. This ensures that when the tentacle is up, only one/two guys max will get hit.

Kill tentacle -> kill missile ->pack everyone on the boss and dps him, kill any adds as priority when on the boss (little tentacles then blobs).

go to red dragon, repeat but DO NOT put boss under 90% from now on because doing so triggers aoe fire.

repeat step as previously with tank always having CDs for empale.

After red, go to bronze. repeat

Now you are at the blue platform, the last one. The main killer here is the missile since you do not have the bronze.

Hit aura mastery, tank CDs + shaman spirit links + all classes hit their defensive CD if any. Remember to be as far from the impact point as possible (tank does not move). then hit the missile hard before the ticks kill you. You must have killed the tentacle BEFORE this missile hits.

You then go for the boss, assist one person for the tentacle and you can blow bloodlust here after the first set of little tentacles.

phase 2 go for the boss, you have all CDs, assist one guy very quickly on the tentacle (3 in 10 man) and you are golden. Some tentacles pop at 2-3%, just leave them and focus boss and everyone use their dream defensive CD (green dragon buff)

Deleted
    The first impale is easily survived with only a hand of sacrifice or a shield wall. Second is easily survived with a guardian spirit or last stand + pain suppression if you got any of these.

Deleted
    I think it can only be solo tank'd by paladin.
    We got 2 wipes on 1 and 3% the other day.
    Probably will get it today.

We're using 1 tank 3 healers 6 dps.
    Our roster is -

Tanks :
    Prot paladin

Healers:
    Hpala
    Rdruid
    Dpriest

Dps:
    Enha sham
    Frost DK
    Boomkin
    Hunter
    Lock
    Ele sham.

If platforms are 1 2 3 4
    We're doing 3-1-2-4.
    Our gear isn't that good 381-386iLvl tops, while we farmed 6/7h FL for a while, but RNG is pretty bad with us.

As we start on each platform, the dk+sham start on the legs for a bit, then they move in positions for tentacle, that way we only get 1 impale, which makes it pretty easy.
    Basicly on 3rd platform im using the ysera(?) spell for the tentacle.
    On the 1st, im using Guardian + DP
    On 2nd im using BoP.
    Only on the platform 4, while the bomb is coming, im using AD on the tentacle + DG and we're using raid cd's to survive it.
    And we use BL in last phase.

We got our kill last night by going Red --> Green --> Blue --> Yellow with 1 tank 7 dps 2 healers, took 12 attempts total and 4 attempts at phase 2 until we realized we were on the wrong platform and being insta gibbed.

We choose to keep Nosdormu up so that we wouldn't need to eat any Elementium bolts, he still gives damage in the form of 20% haste and we used a psly tank so he can bubble or bop the second impale anyway, the only problem we had is we couldn't aoe the bloods on the 4th platform but thats no big deal.

possibly useful info

- Save damage cooldowns for back tentacles so you can kill them before the bolt/impale 2, don't waste them on the main boss burn unless you have to beat cataclym
    - Group up once back tentacle is dead
    - Phase 2 go to the start platform (this cost us several hours lol)
    - Phase 2 we killed the first 3 tentacles, then the 2 big adds then burned boss with lust, use dream at the end.

/tar blistering
    /cast chain lightning
    Last edited by Kegsta; 2011-12-05 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegsta View Post
    /tar blistering
    /cast chain lightning
    Aren't the Blistering Tentacles immune to AoE?

Hey guys!
    Just downed him yesterday, so here's what we did. Maybe it could help people, who are trying to kill him for the first time.

Our setup:
    1 tank - feral druid
    2 healers - holy paladin (me), resto shaman
    7 dps - fire mage, destro lock, retri paladin, enha shaman, shadow priest, balance druid, fury warr
    Our ilvls: from 375 to 388

When you are looking into maelstrom, then take platforms numbers from left (1, 2, 3 and 4).
    We started at platform nr. 3 (that one with the Thrall). There's nothing hard on it. Pop Bloodlust/Heroism/Time Warp on pull. Zerg tentacle, zerg bolt, pop Dream to save healers mana on raid damage. Then we jumped on platform nr. 2 and repeated the process. Then platform nr. 1 - important thing is to kill tentacle before the bolt arrives (to allow only one Impale). Dps have to pop CDs. When the bolt is coming closer just run away from the place where he should fall. Awesome thing is to pop Aura Mastery or anything else. Raid should be healed to max health when bolt falls down. Then it's really easy to overheal raid damage before raid kills it. Same thing on the platform nr. 4. After killing bolt, you have so much time to refill your mana (healers!) use Potion of Concentration. After that... jump to DW's chin. Make sure anybody dies because of that tentacles. Better say, on vent/ts/mmbl who has debuff. Zerg them and get ready for 2 uncomfortable guys. When they arrive, just pop anything to keep tank alive. For me, personally, it's the best time to pop Guardian of Ancient Kings and spam Divine Light. When those 2 guys are downed, focus your dps on chin. Pop Bloodlust/Heroism/Time Warp/ANYTHING and just keep killing DW. Don't forget to use Dream when small tentacle focuses on you. Help healers with lowering raid damage (Divine Protection and so on). DW goes fastly down.

For me, personally, it was race with my mana... Sometimes at 99%, sometimes at 3%. Try to always pop anything that recovers you mana. The only thing that saved us yesterday was our shadow priest, he saved his Hymn of Hope for the last 10%, so I spammed last 10% only Flash of Light and tried to keep best dps up.

Thanks for reading, sorry for my English, hope it will help you

yes but chain lightning still bounces to the main claw thing, provides upfront damage, and charges fulmination quickly which is great at nuking blisterings, it was just my macro, every class obviously uses a different spell.

tbh there is no definitive way of doing this fight, it all comes down to how good the diffirent aspects of your roster are. we got our kill last night with the last try of the night. we kept wiping at between 2-5% in phase 2, we were first using bloodlust on the last platform to kill the bloods, but found we didnt have enough dps in phase 2 so we altered our tactic again. here is what we used for our setup -
    tanks:
    prot paladin
    healers:
    resto shaman
    resto druid
    dps:
    survival hunter (me)
    fire mage
    rogue (not sure but prob combat)
    fury warrior
    ret paladin
    shadow priest
    warlock

the order of platforms we do are green - red - blue - yellow

basically we have the tank use dream for the impale on the first platform and we have enough dps to get the tentacle down before the elementium bolt hits, kill the elementium bolt before it lands (/target elementium macro works well here) and nuke the paw down. the tank uses a cooldown for the rest of the impales (always just 1 impale on each platform tho, if you get 2 u need to get ur dps to do more).

Where we were going wrong was using bloodlust to aoe the bloods down as we kept wiping between 2-5% in phase 2, we tried marking the blood and single target nuking it down. in our kill we ended up killing the last tentacle with about 5 seconds to spare before cataclysm. then in phase 2 we would kill the first set of tentacles and the 2 big adds then pop bloodlust and nuke (stand in the yellow time bubble or ur tank will get 1 shot) you can also have a dps stand far away from the raid and range taunt 1 of the big adds if your tank is getting 1 shot, we had our ret paladin do this and it helped greatly, then we ignore the rest of the adds and nuke deathwing for the kill, in the end we did it perfect with no deaths and a lot of screaming on vent cos it was 15 mins past raid finish time and was the last try.

again the way u execute this fight greatly depends on your roster tbh there is no 'best way for everyone' only a best way for you, its just trial and error. if you are having trouble dpsing everything on the last platform then u need to keep blue up until last (swapping yellow and blue) and pop a raid cooldown to survive the elementium bolt dmg.
    good luck
    Last edited by michelf; 2011-12-06 at 08:57 AM.

We went 1 tank 2 heals, heavy ranged. Green>Red>Bronze>Blue. Everyone but one person was at 40k+ dps in heroic FL gear. During p2, kill adds, burn to 12% kill adds, lust, done sauce.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 03:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by armone View Post
    Aren't the Blistering Tentacles immune to AoE?
    Yes they are.
    Last edited by Atamus; 2011-12-06 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyf View Post
    We tried several setups last night and got the best results from Green > Red > Yellow > Blue. I even one-tanked phase 1 with minimal problems (even though we killed green first). Paladins are basically OP :P

Use Ysera's buff on the first impale, then on the second use Ysera + Divine Protection + Pain Suppression. On the second platform use Guardian of Ancient Kings for the first impale and Ardent Defender with a very quick Word of Glory for the second impale. On the third platform, use Pain Suppression + Divine Protection through the first impale and then use a /cancelaura bubble trick to eat the second impale (I was finding that if you're quick the tentacle doesn't melee for about ~1 sec after impale is over so you have time to pick up aggro).

We used cooldowns to zerg down the last tentacle but you'll have all 3 of your cooldowns back up if you need them.

We ran in to some problems trying to one tank the adds in phase 2 but I think I may be able to do it if I know to expect *that* quick of a death. I really feel like a feral DPS would be great on this fight so that you can 1 tank phase 1 and he can go bear form and pop cooldowns for the 2nd add in phase 2.
    easier even is to have a holy priest use guardian spirit on you glyphed he can use it for eevry second impale.

Last night we cleared it with 1 tank 2 healers on 10man. If [1][2][3][4] is the platforms we did [1] > [3] > [4] > [2].
    You can do this with one tank but the dps needs to be crazy.

Deleted
    If you got a prot pally, solotanking/Twohealing the fight is the easiest solution. Just make sure your DPS can get the tentacle down before the second impale on first three platforms. We couldn't get it down in time at the fourth one since we moved to the bolt early, and I was forced to bubble the second impale/elementium blast. The final burn on the fourth platform with blisterings can get a tad healing intesive but if you got any raid cooldowns to use, especially from DPS (Boomkin tranq, Spriest Hymns, Warr Rallycry, Protadin DG... you get my point) make good use of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been doing Ysera -> Nozdormu -> Alextrasa -> Kalcegos since week 1. We dropped to 1 tank this week because we realised we were already killing the tentacles without a 2nd Impale, so why not speed the fight up (Bubbling 9 stacks of tenatus like a boss).

Reasons for the above; We loved the extra claw dps from not dropping Alextrasa til absolutely last, and we have enough cooldowns to survive two landed elementium bolts. Kalcegos last is almost mandatory for us, helps actually kill the Regenerating blood + blistering tentacles.

Although, easy fight is easy (On normal at least)

Deleted
    Me and my team has a problem for Madness of Deathwing, We're using Feral tank and Prot warrior for tanks, Arcane/Fire Mage, Arms/Fury warrior "me", Survival Hunter and a combat rogue as dps. "When we try 2 healers we have a shadow priest". Holy Paladin, Holy Priest and a Resto Druid. Could you possibly give a platform rotation for us? We've had Green -> Red -> Yellow -> Blue. We've almost done it with this platform rotation but we've died most of the times there.