Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thinking to Preorder

Is this Origin thing safe/usable? I'd perfer steam but that doesn't appear to be an option...

Origin is the only option because it's EA's own service to compete with Steam. There has been some controversy surrounding it lately apparently, but in all honesty it's probably just as safe as Steam to use. Though I'm not too well-versed in the matter...

But eh, I wouldn't let it stop you from enjoying SWTOR.

Deleted
    You can buy the game from Origin and its safe, you will get the digital download copy within minutes, I think its a little more expensive with them, but its safe, also you don't need origin to launch the game has its own launcher.

I hope Steam will never be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by MorTvicR View Post

I hope Steam will never be an option.
    -.- The time tested trusted source or something new I've heard might not function correctly? Interesting oppinion there.

If Battlefield 3 is any indication of what future EA games using Origin would be like I'd stay far away from it. I think it MAY have received a patch lately but when I first got BF3 Origin took like 80% of my processor and took ~20 minutes total to load up. If you had it start on computer start up, God help you because your entire computer was sluggish even after it launched.

Also it loads through Origin, and chances are with SWTOR you'll need Origin online running to be able to play and launch the game.

You can always wait in line outside the mall at midnight if you don't want to use Origin. I'm hoping I don't have to redownload the game again. I was in the last weekend beta and one of my friends said that it was labeled 'release' so if you played in that beta you may not need to redownload (which is what you would be accessing origin for).

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    If Battlefield 3 is any indication of what future EA games using Origin would be like I'd stay far away from it. I think it MAY have received a patch lately but when I first got BF3 Origin took like 80% of my processor and took ~20 minutes total to load up. If you had it start on computer start up, God help you because your entire computer was sluggish even after it launched.

Also it loads through Origin, and chances are with SWTOR you'll need Origin online running to be able to play and launch the game.
    This is what I was afraid of =/ People are saying those with the latest beta build can just load up to release so hopefully that keeps origin out, unless people are talking out of their rears.

You can always order it from Amazon(they have release date delivery), or get a boxed copy. You won't need Origin to play it, but I'm sure when you install SWTOR it will ask if you want to install Origin as well.

If you want to order it from Origin though, it should be safe enough. I wish Steam had swtor though, so I could use the steam overlay to talk to my friends, since swtor doesn't have a realID feature.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I may be wrong but I am sure it has been stated many times that you don't need Origin for SWTOR.

You don't need Origin to download, patch, or play SWTOR. It's downloaded through BioWare's portal, not EA's, and uses it's own launcher.

If you buy the digital version, you go through Origin to buy it, but that's the extent of it. After that, Origin is unnecessary .. but if you want to avoid even that part of it, buy a retail box version.

Details:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8488436
    StephenReid

08.23.2011 , 07:32 PM

Star Wars: The Old Republic will not require the Origin desktop application to download, patch or play the game, regardless of whether the game was originally purchased through Origin or at a retail outlet.

However, we encourage you to go ahead and try the Origin desktop app with Star Wars: The Old Republic or other EA games. Origin streamlines game downloads, makes game updates quick, easy and seamless for players, and offers social connectivity to your gaming friends.
    Stephen Reid | Senior Online Community Manager

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9577006
    StephenReid

10.02.2011 , 03:42 PM

While you will complete your digital purchase of Star Wars: The Old Republic via Origin, you will download, install and patch the game digitally via our own launcher.
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-12-01 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23 View Post
    You can always order it from Amazon(they have release date delivery)
    Sorry to go off topic but I just spoke to several agents who flatly told me that it is not available for SWTOR. Yet my own brother who lives next door to me has a Release Date Delivery and we both ordered CE on July 21st and doesn't even have Amazon Prime but I do. People have even posted it on the site that they have RDD. So I'm unsure of what the hell is going on with them. Is there a grace period from early start?

I have never used steam, so not exactly sure how it works. But as Karteli posted (i'll quote it just so you really see it).

Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    You don't need Origin to download, patch, or play SWTOR. It's downloaded through BioWare's portal, not EA's, and uses it's own launcher.

If you buy the digital version, you go through Origin to buy it, but that's the extent of it. After that, Origin is unnecessary .. but if you want to avoid even that part of it, buy a retail box version.

Details:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8488436
    StephenReid

08.23.2011 , 07:32 PM

Star Wars: The Old Republic will not require the Origin desktop application to download, patch or play the game, regardless of whether the game was originally purchased through Origin or at a retail outlet.

However, we encourage you to go ahead and try the Origin desktop app with Star Wars: The Old Republic or other EA games. Origin streamlines game downloads, makes game updates quick, easy and seamless for players, and offers social connectivity to your gaming friends.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9577006
    StephenReid

10.02.2011 , 03:42 PM

While you will complete your digital purchase of Star Wars: The Old Republic via Origin, you will download, install and patch the game digitally via our own launcher.
    Because of that, origin as far as I can tell just works like any other online store. Only thing special is that it is the only source for the downloaded version, but again you don't need it to actually download the game, just the website to order it from.

I haven't had any issue with Origin, other than their draconic password rules. I prefer Steam myself, if only because most of my game library is on there, but I've been using Origin for BF3 and purchased SWTOR through it.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynnen View Post
    Sorry to go off topic but I just spoke to several agents who flatly told me that it is not available for SWTOR. Yet my own brother who lives next door to me has a Release Date Delivery and we both ordered CE on July 21st and doesn't even have Amazon Prime but I do. People have even posted it on the site that they have RDD. So I'm unsure of what the hell is going on with them. Is there a grace period from early start?
    It didn't have release date delivery for SWTOR when it first started. That's because it didn't have a release date yet. I went back and changed the shipping speed to release date though. So try going into your account and changing the speed. If it doesn't work try changing the shipping address to your brothers home.

Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23 View Post
    It didn't have release date delivery for SWTOR when it first started. That's because it didn't have a release date yet. I went back and changed the shipping speed to release date though. So try going into your account and changing the speed. If it doesn't work try changing the shipping address to your brothers home.
    Checked and there's no release date option. So I changed it to my brothers address and it says January 16th now...uh...I'm just going to get one in store I think.

Checked and there's no release date option. So I changed it to my brothers address and it says January 16th now...uh...I'm just going to get one in store I think.
    Probably your best bet at this point.

Origin is horrid, and I strong discourage anyone from trying it when SWTOR releases. It'll only give you problems.
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-12-02 at 06:46 AM.

Is there a grace period from early start?
    As of right now several developers are on record stating that there is NO grace period. This will upset a good number of players who will get early access then be shut out of the game on the 20th so I'm not sure if they'll change their minds on that.

I ordered my digital copy from Origin with no issues. I received my order within minutes with my game's serial number. As people have already stated, Origin is not involved past that. I was in beta a few weeks ago and even though my access has ended I can still log in to the launcher and download patches. I should be good to go if I get any early access game time.

So to answer the OP- yes, using Origin is safe and I had no troubles with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliya View Post
    As of right now several developers are on record stating that there is NO grace period. This will upset a good number of players who will get early access then be shut out of the game on the 20th so I'm not sure if they'll change their minds on that.
    Aye, what is more upsetting is that Stephen Reid has been quoted on a few occasions a few months ago stating that there would be a grace period but that no more details were avaliable and now thats been changed to no grace period. Alot of people pre-ordered with the grace period in mind, especially with it being christmas postage, and now feel they were lied to.

I'll be abit miffed if my game doesnt arrive in time and I get locked out but wont bother me too much, would have pre-ordered either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I wouldn't pre-order with them. They have an extremely bad rep with gamers. You should pre-order a hard copy with Amazon.com.

The delux digital edition isn't worth the extra money, all of the crap you get from it can be bought in the game. Pre-ordering does give you a unique gold/black color crystal though.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama