Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just wondering about healbot . . .

Ive looked around a bit and where ever i look everyone always says, get grid + clique, its more customisable and can change it to the way you want

As someone who has used grid and clique, heabot and Vuh DO at some point ive settled on healbot at the moment and i was wondering is there really any difference?

By not using grid am i loosing on anything? Ive set up healbot to show all my hots and debuffs so i doubt im really missing out unless im missing something here :P

P.S. if anyone could look at my char and let me know if im doing anything wrong atm as well (mastery fan here although i heard somewhere about a new 1994 cap instead of the 12.5%?)

Hiligt is the name of my character but it won't let me post links yet

I think the biggest reason people prefer Grid is all the modules and what not you can download for it. Stuff like TankingCooldown, Raid Debuffs and so on. I'm not a big fan of click casting myself, i prefer to target cast, but I know how wonderful and customizable grid becomes with all the extra stuff.

I personally prefer Heal Bot but you are right not many mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
    I think the biggest reason people prefer Grid is all the modules and what not you can download for it. Stuff like TankingCooldown, Raid Debuffs and so on. I'm not a big fan of click casting myself, i prefer to target cast, but I know how wonderful and customizable grid becomes with all the extra stuff.
    I've tried grid a few times and tbh, i'm not a fan. I like the fact that I can make different debuffs turn frames different colors in healbot and I can set priorities for it. Click casting isnt a requirement with healbot, the same mouseover macros you use with grid transfer to healbot easily without modification. Healbot does take a bit of thought to get all the debuffs setup properly for every patch, where as if you use grid you just download the new debuff addon and you're ready to go.

Ultimately the colors for debuffs is why I stay with healbot and the ease of setup is nice as well. I used to love breaking out main tanks from the group when i did 10m, but when I moved to a 25m guild, that feature is impractical, so I stopped using it. It was a painful first week without the main tank column of my frames, but i got acclimated rather quickly. For me it came down to the fact that I can setup healbot in about 10 minutes, and every time I try grid it takes the better part of 2 hours to get exactly right and I'm still not happy with the thing looks.

I know my guild REQUIRES grid because mechanic assignments (ultraxion hour rotation, majordomo immunity rotation, baleroc crystal rotations) are all done based on the order they appear in grid, but as long as you set healbot up to do alphabetical ordering everything is fine there too. I know my GM was a little leery about me asking to keep healbot, but after I changed the ordering it hasn't been an issue at all.

The other reason a lot of people prefer grid is it uses less screen real estate, but with my UI, it's actually more difficult to use grid than healbot. Grid is usually taller than healbot meaning that the position a few inches below my feet wont work. That position ensures I stay out of stupid because i'm ALWAYS looking at my feet.
    Last edited by reikoshea; 2011-12-23 at 06:13 AM.

After 2 years of mixed grid / healbot i tried VuhDo and it was pure love.

It took me 3 days of messing with options and stuff, but once learned i think its vastly superior to both HB and grid+clique.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started with healbot 2 years ago and was pretty happy with the addon back then.

After I spent some time tuning my UI I found this promising addon called Vuhdo and I tried it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as the most ppl I never want to try something else. The "out-of-the-box" exp was amazing, but still its perfectly to customize with a nice config gui (appearance, macros, spells, announcements, smartcast, buffwatch, and and and..).

To get the most functionality with a single addon, try VuhDo, I'm really sure you wont come back to your old fellas Grid and Healbot

<3 VuhDo

Deleted
    VuhDo, looks and works better!

10+ Year Old Account
    Healbot works just fine.

The reason it's not mentioned so much is the coding is a bit iffy, and it lags (literally) behind the other raid UIs. On the other hand it's far and away the easiest to set up and is reasonably easy to customise.

If you want to try something else go ahead, but if Healbot is working fine for your purposes, then stick with it.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Quote Originally Posted by iero View Post
    P.S. if anyone could look at my char and let me know if im doing anything wrong atm as well (mastery fan here although i heard somewhere about a new 1994 cap instead of the 12.5%?)

Hiligt is the name of my character but it won't let me post links yet
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iligt/advanced - could it be you?
    judging on your spirit i assume you ask for holy tips, so i will let someone else check this out

as for the addons:
    healbot, from what i remember, you cant really personalize.
    i personally like vuhdo as i could make it look the very way i wanted it to look without having to dl any additional stuff.

but if you like the way healbot looks, then use it, as its a viable healing frame

another thing is, i remember my healbot wasnt taking wow crashes too easy (wasnt working if i dcd and logged back mid fight), while vuhdo doesnt seem to be affected by those at all. but if you dont dc, then it doesnt matter anyway

As someone who has used grid and clique, heabot and Vuh DO at some point ive settled on healbot at the moment and i was wondering is there really any difference?
    You've used all three, yet you are asking US if there is any difference? Hmm.

Anyway, I was a long-time Healbot user who switched to VuhDo recently for the "cluster finder" functionality. I can tell you that other than this feature, both are pretty much the same thing. Never used Grid+clique, but as far as I know it's also the same functionality-wise.

The only difference between the 3 is in the cosmetic customization settings. Functionality-wise they are the same, though for some strange reason HealBot has some bad reputation.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I use VuhDo myself as I found it to be easy to customize, it looks better than grid imho, and it has a cluster feature for AoE healing which I've never seen in any other healing addon.

Quote Originally Posted by babylon View Post
    could it be you? judging on your spirit i assume you ask for holy tips, so i will let someone else check this out
    Yes that is me :P and cheers everyone for all the feedback, good to hear that there isn't a ton of differences and i did try vuhdo before and found it was a pain switching between specs if i wanted to go disc for a fight? But that could have changed by now so maybe i will try it again

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    for some strange reason HealBot has some bad reputation.
    HB's bad reputation is somewhat of a historical thing. It started out as a raid frame addon that also came with very complicated healing macros. Original design intent was to turn healing classes into brainless macro-mash, similar to how pallies raidbuffed in vanilla, also how decursing worked. That aspect of it was never very smart, though, and HB healers back then really sucked.

Obviously, that kind of thing has been gone since (late?) TBC, and 'healBot' isn't much of a bot anymore.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-12-23 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    The reason it's not mentioned so much is the coding is a bit iffy, and it lags (literally) behind the other raid UIs. On the other hand it's far and away the easiest to set up and is reasonably easy to customise.
    Is this lag going to mean my heals are slower than someone using grid? (due to me seeing them later?) or is the lag so small its unlikely to make a difference

Deleted
    one word:

Vuhdo

Stop wondering get Vuhdo.... or CompactRaid (This uses blizzard default raid frames but lets you skin it and adds all the features of grid/healbot and nearly all of vuhdo.)

CompactRaid:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/compactraid

I'm not sure how many people have paid real attention on the new raid frame UI came with WOW 4.0 (Cataclysm), if you looked into the source code you would probably find out how much efforts Blizzard UI folks had dedicated in, and how sad it turned out that no one even wanted to touch it. The reasons are apparent: ugly looking, lack of important utilities, and most important, there are a few superior addons out there doing fine for years.

Having said that, being a Blizzard UI, it actually offers some special advantage that other addons never will. For example, it is not restricted by the secure framework so you can manually show/hide raid groups or change unit frame sizes during combat; It is a built-in addon, most of its templates and UI objects are already created before any third-party addons are loaded, use it or not, game resources are occupied regardlessly. If some day this Blizzard's raid UI suddenly turns into something that looks as fashional as whatever you can imagine, and has all advanced features you ever wanted, would you consider giving it a try? Now you probably are going to ask: "Can it?"

CompactRaid is an addon that simply answers "Yes" to your question, it greatly improves the Blizzard's default raid frame UI to make it become compatitive with, if not better than, any other third-party raid frame UI. It currently consists of the following working modules:

Modules integrated in CompactRaid

Core module: Wraps all internal framework, provides exported API's for other modules.
    Artwork module: Enhances the UI lookings, supports LibSharedMedia-3.0, LibSharedMedia-2.0, CWDGMediaPack, you can choose text fonts, status bar textures and background arts from those libraries and apply them to your unit frames.
    Corner Indicators module: Adds indicators to corners of your unit frames to help you tracking configured auras, supported displaying modes: icons, color dots, numeric texts.
    Raid Debuff module: Displays bold icons on unit frames to alert critical raid debuffs. Requires raid debuff data module, for current version it's "CompactRaid_RaidDebuff_CTM".

Modules as stand-alone addons

CompactRaid_ClickSets (ClickSets module): Binds mouse clicks on unit frames to help you quickly cast spells on hovering unit. Supports mouse wheel.
    CompactRaid_PartyTargets (Party Targets module): Displays targets of you and your party members while in a party.
    CompactRaid_RaidDebuff_CTM (Raid debuff data module for Cataclysm): Registers debuff data to the raid debuff module, supports raid instances and 5-player dungeons debuffs.
    CompactRaid = the new kid on the block it's far superior, quicker, and capable of more.
    Last edited by Domiku; 2011-12-23 at 05:34 PM.

get vuhdo.

clusters are the best.
    Let's turn the Night into Tomorrow

got grid2 not long ago... its simply amazing. all I could ask for is there.
    BETA CLUB

Yes that is me :P and cheers everyone for all the feedback, good to hear that there isn't a ton of differences and i did try vuhdo before and found it was a pain switching between specs if i wanted to go disc for a fight? But that could have changed by now so maybe i will try it again
    on vuhdo you can set profiles for different specs, with different key bindings (thats in key layouts, options=>tools=>key layouts)
    some easy description on key layouts is at the end of this basic guide:
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...VuhDo-Tutorial

but again, if youre happy with healbot, there is no reason to force any other addon i guess

Quote Originally Posted by reikoshea View Post
    I've tried grid a few times and tbh, i'm not a fan. I like the fact that I can make different debuffs turn frames different colors in healbot and I can set priorities for it. Click casting isnt a requirement with healbot, the same mouseover macros you use with grid transfer to healbot easily without modification. Healbot does take a bit of thought to get all the debuffs setup properly for every patch, where as if you use grid you just download the new debuff addon and you're ready to go.

Ultimately the colors for debuffs is why I stay with healbot and the ease of setup is nice as well. I used to love breaking out main tanks from the group when i did 10m, but when I moved to a 25m guild, that feature is impractical, so I stopped using it. It was a painful first week without the main tank column of my frames, but i got acclimated rather quickly. For me it came down to the fact that I can setup healbot in about 10 minutes, and every time I try grid it takes the better part of 2 hours to get exactly right and I'm still not happy with the thing looks.

I know my guild REQUIRES grid because mechanic assignments (ultraxion hour rotation, majordomo immunity rotation, baleroc crystal rotations) are all done based on the order they appear in grid, but as long as you set healbot up to do alphabetical ordering everything is fine there too. I know my GM was a little leery about me asking to keep healbot, but after I changed the ordering it hasn't been an issue at all.

The other reason a lot of people prefer grid is it uses less screen real estate, but with my UI, it's actually more difficult to use grid than healbot. Grid is usually taller than healbot meaning that the position a few inches below my feet wont work. That position ensures I stay out of stupid because i'm ALWAYS looking at my feet.
    While I'm not saying that Grid is better than healbot. But if you are downloading the additional addons/modules for grid and leaving as is, then you are not gettin the most out of them. I know by default a lot of the things aren't set up and other have everything on. So it takes a little tweaking to get just right.

Im not sure about the changing color based on debuffs tho. I kinda like that idea. But then again i still prefer class color, cause i raid in a 10 man and like to know who it is asap.