The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question What monitor should I go for?

So I am kind of torn, I always hear about how awesome 120Hz monitors are and I know I've seen them and TVs with 120Hz refresh rates at stores, and they look awesome. Then you have the IPS displays. I want to get a 1920x1080 of one or the other to game on at no larger than 24". I'm just torn at which would benefit me more, but I'm leaning more towards the IPS display.

I mainly play Rift, with a bit of dabbling in games like SC2, Amnesia on the rare occasion (very very dark game!), and a mixture of other less-important games, and I am very sure I plan to play GW2 as well. I'm leaning more towards the IPS because I know that 120Hz monitors typically are begging for Displayport GPUs that can really churn out that kind of fps on a regular basis anyways, sadly, my GTX 560 Ti cannot do that, also most of these games aren't really high-pace games anyways, so I'm not so sure I could really see much of a difference with a 120Hz display, anyways.

On the other hand, I've heard that IPS monitors can't display the deep darks/blacks too well, and while I don't play Amnesia super often, I'm wondering how it would affect that gameplay in the rare event I have the balls to want to murder my sanity...

So I come to you folks, since I know several of you own at least one or the other and I want to hear your opinions, mainly about gaming on these monitors. I would be upgrading from a 22" Gateway 1680x1050 LCD, with an Ultra Contrast of 2000:1, I find very few monitors that have that kind of contrast, most only ever have 1000:1.... so I'm also wondering how big of a difference it will be, because the picture has honestly always looked pretty damn beautiful.

Thanks for any and all helpful posts! Let's not turn this into a "ZOMG YOU CAN'T SEE OVER 24 FPS ANYWAYS!!" thread... because that's not true and I don't want my thread locked due to people pissin' at each other. Now off to work, be back later tonight.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    104 views and 0 responses? I know there's folks on this forum who know more about monitors than I...
    "A flower.

I don't know much about the IPS displays, but I will try to offer you a response.

I value framerate over much of the contrast and other statistics, because those things, above a certain threshold, can't be seen to be improving as much as framerate. You said yourself that you have seen many different displays in stores. You know what you like better than we do. I personally would spring for a 120Hz display, but you may be more interested in the contrast ratio or whatever else interests you. If you are in the price range of 120Hz displays, none of them will look [I]bad[I] no matter what kind of panel they use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I guess that's true. It just bugs me because I can't actually try gaming on those monitors at the stores, more or less have to just buy and hope. x_x why I ask here for others' opinions. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    My bet is to wait for TetrisGoat to spot this thread, IIRC he's a beast when it comes to monitors.

I've got myself an Acer GD 235hz (monitor name, doesn't have 235hz) and I love it, had no issues so far and it's not too thin or not too fat at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...cer%20GD%20235
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I've been waiting 3 days. ;p Shameful bump was post #2. =/
    "A flower.