15+ Year Old Account

[Music] Need a new Power Metal band

Hello hello everyone. I'm a big lover of pure epic feats of music, and metal is one of my favorite genres of music... but I don't feel like I've got a big enough collection of bands to choose from. I've been listening to Blind Guardian for a while now, mainly because I don't have much else to listen to, so I was hoping someone could suggest another band along their lines of style and theme.

If you don't know who Blind Guardian is, they're very... epic. I mean, almost none of their songs are under 5 minutes long, and they have at least one 10ish minute song on each of their albums. One of their best songs is a 14 minute long epic about the Trojan War... I think. At least that's what I gather from it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAxCx95mO8

So if anyone could suggest another power metal band, I would be really grateful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Some good power metal bands.

- Celesty

- Axenstar

- Avantasia

- Angra

- Masterplan

- Nightwish

- Iced Earth

- Luca Turilli / Rhapsody (Though anyone who's familiar with power metal, is likely already well aware Luca Turilli / Rhapsody.)

Edit: Added some additional artists.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-12-02 at 01:13 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the suggestions! And yes, already heard of Luca Turilli.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Np I'm actually quite interested in this thread, it's been awhile since I've added some good power metal into my repertoire of music.

Also I added in some additional artists to my first post.

I started listening power metal, but moved towards progressive direction, although I have few bands I can suggest

Gamma Ray (rather generic Power Metal with about 20 years of history)

Sabaton (Theme of lyrics is wars and conflicts of history, someone may not like it because vocalist sings quite low, creating a bit heavier atmosphere)

Symphony X (Power/Progressive Metal, themes are pretty much ancient mytholigies, religions and such)

then there's my absolute favourite of pure power metal bands, Masterplan, nothing to tell about it much really, it's Power Metal, although it is influenced by Melodic and Heavy Metal.

If it's clear vocals and lyrical themes that makes you find Power Metal interesting, you should also try these mostly Progressive bands/projects too

Star One (Sci-fi movie/serie themed music)
    Ayreon (This one's amazing, throughout its multiple albums it offers a great sci-fi story. Every album is really different from another, it's not easy to put this band/project into any genre, but most distinguishable are probably Progressive Rock/Metal and Rock Opera style)

Hope you like some of them.

Check out Mercenary; although they are mostly melo-death (they have lots of clean vocals too though), they have elements of power metal in their music as well.

11 Dreams (2004)
    The Hours that Remain (2006)
    Architect of Lies (2008)

Are the albums I heard and they kick ass.

Try early Ensiferum -- it's not pure power metal like Blind Guardian, but definitely epic.

There's Dragonforce and Power Quest. Dragonforce recently got a new singer though so if you look them up, it'll probably be with their old singer ZP Theart. They're working on their 5th studio album with the new singer, Marc Hudson. I personally prefer Marc over ZP. Just look up "Dragonforce Reveal new Singer" video on youtube if you wanna hear what he sounds like in the studio.

Power Quest recently got a new singer aswell. I don't know much about him though.

Quote Originally Posted by cooespooh View Post
    If you don't know who Blind Guardian is, they're very... epic. I mean, almost none of their songs are under 5 minutes long, and they have at least one 10ish minute song on each of their albums.
    No they don't. They don't have a 10ish minute song on ANY album prior to A Night at the Opera. And...their best albums IMO are 2 before that, Imaginations From the Other Side and Nightfall in Middle Earth. I also don't love the 14 minute song you mention, it really isn't good enough to warrant that length IMO. I do love the band, I've seen them live even, but their post-ANatO stuff has been hit or miss, IMO.

Here's some other power metal to check out:

Wuthering Heights:

Falconer:

Theocracy(yes, this song is 22 minutes, yes, it's worth it):

Sabaton:

Grave Digger:

Recently I have been hooked on Nightwish. Their new song Storytime is incredible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g8ykQLYnX0

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    You just cannot leave a thread about power metal without:

or

or

or

I quite enjoy music from all of these bands. I hope that you may as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

My suggestion would be pantera

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    You just cannot leave a thread about power metal without:

I quite enjoy music from all of these bands. I hope that you may as well!
    Hammerfall and Edguy have done power metal I enjoy(really don't care for the other two, not my thing, barring an occasional song), but IMO, both the songs you posted are way below the quality of their best stuff, from albums that are way later than when they were doing good music:-/

So, to give what I would personally consider better examples:

Hammerfall:

Edguy:

Also, don't forget Edguy's spinoff band, Avantasia: