Asus vh242h and hdmi question

so i just got in my new monitors (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236052 x 3) to go along with my new pc build. i love them so far, but one minor issue. on boot the monitors dont recognize hdmi signal until i login to windows. i can hook up dvi or vga, and no problems, but hdmi is blank until login. im running a pair of gtx 580s (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130587) , and i cannot figure out why this minor annoyance is occuring.

anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Sorry to bother you, just kinda side note, was wondering your setup because I'm looking to get 2 more of these monitors and 2 580s but I donno weather to go with the 1.5gb or 3gb version. List of games you play would be sweet to. Would have private messaged you but donno if you would even notice a new message. Thanks
    | HAF-X Case | MSI Z77 MPOWER | Intel 3770k Overclock to 4.2 | ADATA DDR3 1600 8GB |
    | MSI 970 Gaming | Corsair 1200AX | Triple Asus 242h 23.6" |
    | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard | Razer Mamba Mouse |

In essence it sounds like Bios/boot is sending a pure analog signal where as windows boots into your desired resolution.

Edit:

Seems that POST/bios only works using an analog connection and thus won't display a digital connection until Windows starts to load. Only option is to use an analog connection (that's if you need to get into the Bios or wants to view the POST).
    Last edited by Adorada; 2011-12-02 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsniper View Post
    Sorry to bother you, just kinda side note, was wondering your setup because I'm looking to get 2 more of these monitors and 2 580s but I donno weather to go with the 1.5gb or 3gb version. List of games you play would be sweet to. Would have private messaged you but donno if you would even notice a new message. Thanks
    For me, the 1.5's were more than enough.

im running:
    i7 2600k (thought about buying the i7 3960x, but i wasnt brave enough - plus it was like 700 bucks more) Zalman cpu cooler
    asus maximus 4 extreme z mobo
    16gb corsair xms3
    2x256gb crucial m4 ssd's, and 1 velicoraptor sata6 300gb for storage (i use external drives for long term storage)
    2xevga gtx 580 fermi
    coolermaster silent pro 1kw bronze 80 psu
    coolermaster HAF case

im currently running on ultra high or higher (higher with changes to nvidia config as such in skyrim)
    Skyrim
    Crysis 2
    Arkham City
    Battlefield 3

i dont think theres anything out there right now it wont run on ultra or higher, at least not the genre of games i enjoy playing.

---------- Post added 2011-12-02 at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    Edit:

Seems that POST/bios only works using an analog connection and thus won't display a digital connection until Windows starts to load. Only option is to use an analog connection (that's if you need to get into the Bios or wants to view the POST).
    Yeah, this is what i figured out last night. silly me, the answer was staring me in the face the whole time. thanks for replying bud.
    Last edited by Rawt; 2011-12-02 at 09:35 PM. Reason: i no spellz gud

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you provide more details on how you connect them exactly?

HDMI is no different than DVI. Both are digital. HDMI just has Audio.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    HDMI is no different than DVI. Both are digital. HDMI just has Audio.
    While partially true, most newer (within the past couple years) have DVI-I dual link. This allows the DVI output to be both analog and digital. Older DVI outputs were only analog. Then they became digital, and now they are usually dual link. Judging by the 580 (the ones I looked at) they had DVI-I dual link.

If you want, you can view info here: http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

To the OP, glad you found that out

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Modern monitors do not need analog input. I use HDMI (card) to DVI (monitor) cable and it works just fine, I also had used DVI-D cables before with no issues.

Also all modern cards produce digital output anyway. And you need DVI-A cable to plug it in older (analog) monitors.
    Analog signal in DVI-I ports is a result of conversion from original digital signal.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2011-12-02 at 09:54 PM.