Thread: CPU Question

Deleted

CPU Question

I currently have one of these with a AMD Phenom II X2 Black Edition 550 (which I can't find a link to)

As I have never only upgraded a CPU (always upgraded CPU and Mobo) I don't really know what I'm doing. I know its a AM3 socket but was unsure if that means I can use any CPU that uses a AM3 socket such as this or if there are other factors to consider.

Clarification would be awesome!

Edit: Seems I overlooked a list of compatible CPU's on the Mobo website oops
    Last edited by mmoc3f36aff3d8; 2011-12-02 at 06:59 PM.

Click the link to the motherboard that you provided. on the Right side of the screen is a button that says CPU Support List. That will show all the processors your board will support. I dont know of any other factors you would have to consider.

Going from your current processor to the one in your link you likely would not see a difference in 90% of what you do. Not many games and applications take much advantage of additional cores so depending on what you use it for you might be left feeling pretty cheated.

What do you want to use this computer for? (I use this computer for <blank>)
    What are you hoping to achieve? (I want to play insert game(s) here at 30 fps at X settings)
    List as much of your current computer as you can and the money you're willing to invest (You may be much better off putting that money else where)

15+ Year Old Account
    If your running a 955x2 then you shouldn't have any problems with a Phenom X4 95W+ CPU, you might have to flash the Bios for the X6's though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    Going from your current processor to the one in your link you likely would not see a difference in 90% of what you do. Not many games and applications take much advantage of additional cores so depending on what you use it for you might be left feeling pretty cheated.

What do you want to use this computer for? (I use this computer for <blank>)
    What are you hoping to achieve? (I want to play insert game(s) here at 30 fps at X settings)
    List as much of your current computer as you can and the money you're willing to invest (You may be much better off putting that money else where)
    I use the computer mainly for playing games and some uni work (word, excel and some programming).
    I didn't really have any set goal, my mother asked me what I wanted for xmas and I knew I needed a new hard drive and thought my CPU was the next oldest component

Current Setup:
    Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
    AMD Phenom II X2 Black Edition 550 3.2GHz
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4890
    and I think I have a Coolmaster 600W power supply

Well what you have is more than enough for school. As far as games go I doubt you will see much of a difference, if any at all, going the CPU route. You'd be better off if you can get $ or a gift card and make a little bigger leap around end of Jan/start of Feb. Warehouses will be clearing out overstock on post christmas sales and some new tech should be getting close enough to drop some pieces down a notch.