Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    If I read correctly, he did not veto on the grounds that there is a section specifically stating that US citizens are exempt from this.

Sec. 1031 (e) Authorities- Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.

I could be wrong, but that's what looks like to me.
    "Imagine coming across a mentally disabled person who was not only drunk, high, but had a full frontal lobotomy leaving little to no intelligence left in their body.

He would be NORMAL, compared to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Remnas View Post
    If I read correctly, he did not veto on the grounds that there is a section specifically stating that US citizens are exempt from this.

Sec. 1031 (e) Authorities- Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.

That's from section 1031, the portion quoted in the OP is 1021. Since it says "this section", I presume it doesn't affect the clause in question.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a thread on it already, merging.

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 05:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Remnas View Post

From http://www.infowars.com/indefinite-d...o-obamas-desk/

Three of the bill’s primary sponsors, Senator Carl Levin, Senator John McCain, and Senator Lindsey Graham, said it does during speeches on the Senate floor.
    “It is not unfair to make an American citizen account for the fact that they decided to help Al Qaeda to kill us all and hold them as long as it takes to find intelligence about what may be coming next,” remarked Graham. “And when they say, ‘I want my lawyer,’ you tell them, ‘Shut up. You don’t get a lawyer.’”
    Apparently the Obama administration requested the 'Infinite detention' clause as well. They're the bad guys.

Also, side note, Graham should get a recall election for that last sentence.
    Last edited by Maharishi; 2011-12-16 at 05:08 AM.

Deleted
    Here are some MTV ads on this issue. Pretty powerful stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Also, side note, Graham should get a recall election for that last sentence.
    If his constituents have any sense at all, which is unfortunately debatable, he's screwed. Saying the equivalent of 'screw the Constitution' is.... kind of sickening.

If the bill in any way disallows you legal representation or if it allows you to be detained indefinitely, it's unconstitutional and will be overturned in the Supreme Court. This is Bill of Rights shit which applies to all citizens, so short of AMENDING the Bill of Rights (lol), I don't see this bill going very far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    If the bill in any way disallows you legal representation or if it allows you to be detained indefinitely, it's unconstitutional and will be overturned in the Supreme Court. This is Bill of Rights shit which applies to all citizens, so short of AMENDING the Bill of Rights (lol), I don't see this bill going very far.
    That's not the point. The fact that it HAS even gotten to this point speaks massive volumes to how corrupt our government is and how little people seem to give a shit about it with all the media bullshit going around. Stuff doesn't just change without acting, which people seem to think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    The two constitutional items that would conflict are

Ammendment IV:" In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial"
    However, in this case they aren't being prosecuted, they are being detained. Enough of a loophole for a legal arguement.

Article 9: "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."
    The bill is specifically written to attack this, by making America a "battle ground" thus invaded.

Don't be so quick to dismiss this as impossible.

Cmon guys, it's time you rise up over there and overthrow your corrupt Government, the bankers and the IRS.

oh so its just foreigners who can be indefinetly detained without a trial, then everything awesome... the constitution doesnt seem to be worth the paper its written on

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    oh so its just foreigners who can be indefinetly detained without a trial, then everything awesome... the constitution doesnt seem to be worth the paper its written on
    No, it's americans too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    No, it's americans too.
    ah... well... then... carry on...
    ಠ_ಠ

Is it just me or is this similar to the Jingoism act from GTA4? (The police/military can arrest anyone that behaves non-American in order to reduce terrorism on friendly soil.)
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    Cmon guys, it's time you rise up over there and overthrow your corrupt Government, the bankers and the IRS.
    I for one am looking forward to Civil War 2, 99% Boogaloo.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    So US citizens, when are you bringing "Democracy" into your own country?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    So US citizens, when are you bringing "Democracy" into your own country?
    haha good one, i like how Ron Paul is the only one who would uphold the constitution but people wont vote for him because "hes against gay marriage" or some silly little thing so it makes me believe the cost of America's freedom and rights are little issues like gay marriage. Enjoy your police state.