Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Something I never understood about games today

Is their a technical limitation that is preventing companies from creating multi player games (ala bf3 or COD) that can share servers?. So if you friend has bf3 on pc, and you have it on xbox or ps3 you could still play together.

It's not technical, it's market share and competition when it comes to consoles.
    As for cross PC- console, it doesn't work as great. PC has a huge advantage when it comes to FPS's. Although I believe the new Counterstrike will have cross platform play, We'll see how it goes.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19320
    Main reason pc and consoles will never come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmaniac View Post
    But...you can use controllers on the PC and a mouse + keyboard on consoles...

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmaniac View Post
    Thats not a reason at all, Its a side rumor some employ most likely made up and has absolutely no credit or proof.

The servers can be shared but to do so would require alot of extra work by the devs and companys. Most Console online and PC online games while they may be the same game dont share the same server set up. The only company that can realisticly do this without major changes to either side is MS with the games for windows Live and its been done before with shadowrun.

It's just... not really worth the effort, more balancing hassle for little gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Thats not a reason at all, Its a side rumor some employ most likely made up and has absolutely no credit or proof.

The servers can be shared but to do so would require alot of extra work by the devs and companys. Most Console online and PC online games while they may be the same game dont share the same server set up. The only company that can realisticly do this without major changes to either side is MS with the games for windows Live and its been done before with shadowrun.
    Oh, it's you again saying a controller is "better."

The issue is obvious and always has been. Not to mention consoles are now lagging years behind PC hardware and don't have the power to handle high numbers of players (BF3 is a good example of this)

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

The issue is obvious and always has been. Not to mention consoles are now lagging years behind PC hardware and don't have the power to handle high numbers of players (BF3 is a good example of this)
    Niether is better, its 100% prefrence.

And im pretty sure consoles can handle the higher numbers fine. I seem to remember MAG having 200+ player matchs.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    But...you can use controllers on the PC and a mouse + keyboard on consoles...
    IIRC only ps3 can use a keyboard and mouse. And people on pc's usually dont use a controller for fps's

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

Doesn't surprise me at all that he has a halo avatar, that game really embodies the console herpderp problem.

Console players would never be able to even come remotely close to keeping up with PC players. The only option would be to effectively pretend your little console is a PC as far as peripherals, and play a game that's crappy enough that the console hardware can keep up with it.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 06:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Niether is better, its 100% prefrence.

And im pretty sure consoles can handle the higher numbers fine. I seem to remember MAG having 200+ player matchs.
    Controllers do not offer the precision and speed a keyboard+mouse do, fact.

Elitism is not okay. -3clipse
    Last edited by 3clipse; 2011-12-04 at 08:15 PM.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    IIRC only ps3 can use a keyboard and mouse. And people on pc's usually dont use a controller for fps's
    No Xbox can as well.

I believe Portal 2 has that between PC and PS3 (since we have steam on PS3) but then again in Portal 2 it's players working together, I think if it is competitive FPS/RTS PC has a great advantage over PS3.

Well, this thread got belligerent fast.

OT: It's a game-by-game thing, hence why I said it's a balance hassle.

Gotta love the cpu fanboys trying to shit all over the consoles. You know, some people don't mind not having to spend 1-2k on a computer just to play a video game. Fact.

No. -3clipse
    Last edited by 3clipse; 2011-12-04 at 08:17 PM.

Deleted
    They did it for Portal 2. It was really quite annoying being grouped with someone on a console when you're using PC, simply because the peripherals on PC are much easier and quicker. You'd do something in half the time it would take a PS3/ 360 player to do something and to be honest, it was REALLY annoying.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying PS3/ 360 players suck, I'm just saying that for Portal2 (And quite a few FPS's) the control systems on PC are just a lot, lot more accurate and precise than on a console and this will inherently offer an advantage to anyone on a PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serrafinlol View Post
    No Xbox can as well.
    You have to go fork out money to have that privilege.

The reason why its not that common is because the console kids will get WTFPWNED by pc gamers. You can't compete with a mouse + keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

I do believe that if they did, PC players would have the inherent advantage. People who's rigs can run games at 120 FPS and use keyboard and mouse will have a huge advantage over console players at 20-30 fps with controllers.

I have zero tolerance for console vs. PC bashing. None. At all.

But the original premise of this thread is a legitimately interesting conversation, so I think that discussion should continue.

But I am coming down hard on anyone going "lol console herpderp" or "lol PC" or any variant of either.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXI is cross platformed, PC, PS2, Xbox, but being a MMORPG the input device had little change.

When it comes to FPS though, unless the PS3 and Xbox players use mouse and keyboard it would be very hard to catch up with the PC users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgbro View Post
    Gotta love the cpu fanboys trying to shit all over the consoles. You know, some people don't mind not having to spend 1-2k on a computer just to play a video game. Fact.
    Why do people think you have to spend a LOT of money to play PC games? PC gaming is CHEAPER than consoles, simply because you can build a PC for 500$ (Check the computer threads) Use it for gaming, internet, chatting, whatever the fuck you need to do because its a computer, play at 60fps +, better graphics, faster, higher resolution, also games are much cheaper. You can buy a console for what, 250$? But you can only game on them, sure you can watch your movies and all that, but you don't have the things or can do the things you can do with a PC.

The only thing I can think the console can do better than PC is split screen with a buddy.

L2thinklogical.

No platform bashing. -3clipse
    Last edited by 3clipse; 2011-12-04 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting