Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    When I played I found the Empire to be more mature and had problems with griefing and trolling on the Republic side. You'll find it on both sides occasionally I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone on empire seemd really nice on my server while the republic side was full off the wow is better spam.
    It all depends on the server there will be jerks on both sides for sure

I think it's unfair to say trolls/jerks lean towards the evil faction, HOWEVER I believe that playing a character whose sort of a dick/ a story line which lets u commit evil actions puts people in a mood to be a dick. In a very story driven mmo this is the only problem I would foresee. We all subconsciously role play a tiny bit

When I was on my Jedi Consular, the people in chat were being pretty harsh to one another.

As an Imperial Agent, the people on the Empire side seemed very well-mannered and polite to one another. Then someone started comparing SWTOR to WoW and that lit everything on fire.

Both sides have people of all types. The impression you get of a side during beta is far from indicative of how things will be when the game releases, and it could have been your logging in at the right or wrong time.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think your best bet is to find a good guild to join. Find a like minded and good group of people and then join them on whichever server they play on. We really have no idea how each server will balance out or how they will be populated until months down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    Good factions. Mostly mature players interested in pve.
    Evil factions. Mostly immature (not necessarily biological as well), egomaniacal players bragging about their pvp skill.
    In all MMOs.
    Mate all types of players play both sides, the community were really nice on the sith side but were complete faggots on Republic. It all depends on what kind of people are playing and typing shit into /1 at the time. I also had a bad experience transferring from Horde to Alliance, went from a mature community to a bunch of whiney little bitches.

Deleted
    After almost a decade of MMORPG's people are still trying to say that one faction is more mature than the other. I find it hilarious that people actually think that age and faction have anything to do with the manners of people playing an MMORPG...

Quote Originally Posted by Avarathion View Post
    After almost a decade of MMORPG's people are still trying to say that one faction is more mature than the other. I find it hilarious that people actually think that age and faction have anything to do with the manners of people playing an MMORPG...
    There's also the generalization, good and evil factions and the kind of people they attract, while those are the baseline, flat good and evil doesn't make good storytelling because the evil side always loses and that makes the outcome uninteresting and inevitable, grey vs. grey makes a much better competitive background.

Deleted
    I dont think you can really generalise, people pick factions for so many different reasons.

personally I am hoping that the idiots will get annoyed at the pace of game and cutscenes and go back to wow, lol etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    There's also the generalization, good and evil factions and the kind of people they attract, while those are the baseline, flat good and evil doesn't make good storytelling because the evil side always loses and that makes the outcome uninteresting and inevitable, grey vs. grey makes a much better competitive background.
    You can't really say that the Empire is purely evil or the Republic is a bunch of do-gooders. Thats the awesome part about SWTOR's storytelling, nothing is black and white in this game. There is only a slight generalization you can do in this game and that goes for the lightsaber classes, they will (That's what I think atleast) attract more immature players than the other 4 non-lightsaber classes. I myself love the epic story of the Jedi Knight, got mine to lvl 25 during the stress test and I was amazed all the way. I am gonna play as an Imperial agent operative healer tho, which will be my main character.

Deleted
    I've played both sides up to lvl 12, and so far it's pretty much the same.

I played WoW both factions as well, and...guess what...it was pretty much the same.

Conclusion: You'll find nice people/jerks/trolls anywhere.

republic community looks better to me

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazardx View Post
    So people playing Sith were jerks? Who would have guess the people who chose to play as a faction that is based on hatred and malic would be mean people?
    this... Their will be plenty shit heads that act like complete jerks then use RP as an excuse..."what... I'm dark side..." you'll hear that a lot

10+ Year Old Account
    I think y'all are crazy to play (any)MMOs with the chat on. I turn all that stuff off (esp Gen chat) unless I actually need to say something. If I had to read "Where to I pick my AC" one more time I probably would have blown the F%$* up and got reported enough times to get banned from beta lol.

It's best to just ignore the heathens, and the easiest way to do it is to not even know they're there. Turning off chats is the easiest way to get maximum enjoyment out of your gaming experience. Nothing important ever gets said in /General anyways.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-12-03 at 05:22 PM.

Communities are what define them. The collected result of their members. In this case your first impression of a community is guided by the people who were online and were vocal or easy for you to pick out as positive and negative. This is always the case. No matter the age. I was more mature when I was 17, so age probably have very little to do with it on a whole when Star Wars' main audience is a fair bit older than the standard of WoW. That's because Star Wars is a much older product. Therefore it will have far higher numbers of older fans than what WoW does, at least in theory, if both themes are usually aimed at younger audiences.

The scale might tip in favour of one side on each different server from time to time, but that would not be based on more than rumors and personal opinion. You will always find negative and positive points on server communities in an mmo as long as there is a sufficient population.

Personally I will go Republic, since I don't feel the need to be a Sith even if I thought Vader was a cool villain. I like the idea of being a Jedi and struggling with moral questions in order to find the right path to protect civilazation. It kind of negates the whole "good vs. evil" as I don't pick the Republic to be a super hero but to be a humanoid character with a life of its own. I don't really want to pick my character based on force lightning or choke, so yea.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2011-12-03 at 05:59 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    Good factions. Mostly mature players interested in pve.
    Evil factions. Mostly immature (not necessarily biological as well), egomaniacal players bragging about their pvp skill.
    In all MMOs.

Playing the good faction, everytime I kill an evil faction player I get alot of satifaction because I know there is a high chance the "angry german kid" may be behind the screen.
    This and every other generalization is just stupid, ignorant, and completely false.

Most of my experience was on Republic side but the only issue I ran into was people stealing world spawn items when I was waste deep in mobs. But that didn't happen to much. Chat was fine too though I found I ignored it most of the time.

If anything you would have seen an influx of dumb chat just from people who got in since they didn't have to put down any money or anything.

me and some friends will be playing empire, its just a matter of keeping a tight knit group if your side on the server is populated by immature people

EDIT: and also i played both sides during the beta, and at least on the server i was on, the level of immature people was about the same
    Last edited by Eparg; 2011-12-03 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Dont base your information on guess, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=124706
    41% is going republic, 46% is going empire, the rest is still deciding.
    Polls aren't the only way to gather information.

There are 33926 guilds matching: Republic Allegiance
    There are 45158 guilds matching: Empire Allegiance.
    Source

57% of players plan on playing in an Empire guild.
    43% of players plan on playing in a Republic guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Polls aren't the only way to gather information.

There are 33926 guilds matching: Republic Allegiance
    There are 45158 guilds matching: Empire Allegiance.
    Source

57% of players plan on playing in an Empire guild.
    43% of players plan on playing in a Republic guild.
    Mean nothing since some of those guilds are only 1 persons, some other are 300.