Thread: Co-op vs story

Co-op vs story

Here is my situation; the wife and I will be leveling up a duo of chars together, so I'm wondering if it's better we both play the same class, or different ones.

Specifically, she is leaning towards Sith Inq Ass, and I'll either play the sorc AC, or go with a warrior.

If we're the same class, we share the story (good for conversation), but some of the instances stuff said 'only one Inq allowed' kind of thing. This generally just means the instance is solo and story oriented, but will it cause a bigger disconnect?

If we're different classes, will we be sent off to different areas often?

So my query is, to those that have tried this, what other pros and cons do each offer?

Thanks,
    -Alamar

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're the same base class you'll have to either do the class quest content twice if you both enter one phase (i.e. your phase and story progression, then her's) or you both run in and get separate phases.

If you're different base classes, you will have separate phases for class quests... but in general they in roughly the same area. Quests are sort of hubbed for the most part.

Edit: fixed my misinformation
    Last edited by Rayvene; 2011-12-03 at 09:56 PM.

Prob wont be so bad if you play the same class and can't enter the class specific together since class missions are just a somewhat small part of all missions and stuff you can do.

And if you play different classes and get sent to different places, what does it matter? One helps the other get done with the story, then the other way around since you can enter the other class' story area.

there is an option to allow 2 of the same class into an instance so that isn't a problem

I spent most of my beta with someone else. We tried same class as well as different class. If you are the type of player who really enjoys the story and would like to see them both, I highly recommend going the separate class route and helping in each others instances.

If you're the type who'd prefer to move through things asap, then I recommend going the same class so you never have to stray. With this route, it was odd doing the same story twice, so I would say to do each of your stories separately, it flows better that way and takes less time as well.
    you'll have to drop group, do the phased content solo and regroup afterwards.
    This is wrong. You do not have to drop group. When you enter the green zone it starts a separate instance for each of you, unless you specify to join their instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Istherion View Post
    Prob wont be so bad if you play the same class and can't enter the class specific together since class missions are just a somewhat small part of all missions and stuff you can do.

One of the most annoying and failings of their system. My friend and I ran into this problem and were like, 'WTF?'. Really, how hard would it be, we both had the same exact quest as we were grouped for all the fights. We did find another quirk, we didn't have the same XP totals.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

As a sith warrior, I leveled with my friend being a sith inquisitor, and we had no problems.

The thing is, when you enter one of those little areas that say like "only one sith inquisitor" or whatever, you can follow them into it but they have to run into it first. Also, any dialog and conversations and cutscenes that take place inside do NOT include you, they only focus on the person whose story it is. But it's not a big deal because story missions only make up like 5% of the total mission content, it's very tiny.

Furthermore, even though each class has different storylines, they all take you to the same places in the same order. For example... Both sith warrior and sith inquisitor had to goto kaas city on dromund kaas... then they both had to goto the unfinished colossus... then back to kaas city... then to the temple... etc. They all goto the same places and have almost all the same missions, just slight variations in story-based objectives.

Leveling with someone else is no problem. Plus you gain social points constantly and it levels up your social level which lets you buy social things.

If you are the exact same class as someone else, you can't enter their story areas at all by default, they gotta turn that option on to allow you in then it functions like you were another class and can continue to do stuff together.

Bottom line is, despite what your class is, you can still play with and be with your friend the entire time.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    taking into account the posts above, I would suggest picking different classes so you can compliment each other in combat, and have different companions and things.

Thanks for all the comments : )

Still not sure what we'll go with, but I like having as much info as possible : )

-Alamar

My bf and I rolled Sith Sorcerers a couple beta weekends ago. Essentially my companion was geared & put in tank stance, his companion was put in dps stance and geared appropriately. He was dps, I took more of a healing role. We split for the class quests but still got xp for the kills & bonus quests in the class story areas. Neither of us really minded splitting up for those quests and because we were the same base class, we had to go to the same place for our class quests. If you are two different classes, you'll have to go somewhere else for the other's.

Overall, especially with SI's... I think doing 2 of the same class is totally doable and awesome. I think 2 BH's work well together as well.

All of that being said, though... play what you want. It will work out just fine either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post
    My bf and I rolled Sith Sorcerers a couple beta weekends ago. Essentially my companion was geared & put in tank stance, his companion was put in dps stance and geared appropriately. He was dps, I took more of a healing role. We split for the class quests but still got xp for the kills & bonus quests in the class story areas. Neither of us really minded splitting up for those quests and because we were the same base class, we had to go to the same place for our class quests. If you are two different classes, you'll have to go somewhere else for the other's.

Overall, especially with SI's... I think doing 2 of the same class is totally doable and awesome. I think 2 BH's work well together as well.

All of that being said, though... play what you want. It will work out just fine either way.

Yep. My wife and I did this and will in launch. I am a Tankasin and she heals. Even though we do the class quests alone, like yu said we still got the xp. Also it makes the quests flow much better as a team. We didn't have competing class quests.

We also figured that we could leverage our crew skills. She will do Synthweaving and I will do Artiface. This way we can take advantage of each others crafting

We finished the first 2 worlds and it went awesome. We were worried before about the gameplay being more single player, we had a blast Co-op
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post

We also figured that we could leverage our crew skills. She will do Synthweaving and I will do Artiface. This way we can take advantage of each others crafting

... We were worried before about the gameplay being more single player, we had a blast Co-op
    We did the same crew skills, it worked out well. Also, it actually feels like an ADVANTAGE to partner up with somebody more than anything.
    --You're not penalized for kills while in group
    --You get 50% of any xp your groupmate(s) earn from bonus quests. (i.e. kill 25 bugs, get 5000 xp. You get 5000 xp for killing bugs, you get 2500 xp cuz your buddy killed bugs, too!)
    --You have a built-in groupmate for Heroic quests which offer the best questing rewards and good xp--but are not an efficient use of time to solo or spend time trying to get a group.

I'm a big fan of 2 of the same base class.