Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

So sad, but so common....

Hey guys, I saw this and thought it was so sad. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. Thoughts?

http : //www .youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TdkNn3Ei-Lg

(still can't post links...)

edit: This video was just featured on gawker.com, and there is even a facebook group. I think it's about to go viral.
    Last edited by Grafam; 2011-12-04 at 06:58 AM. Reason: story update

Deleted
    I'm sorry, I watched this and I couldn't help but be just a touch annoyed by the whole thing.

Firstly, eighth grade, that's what, 13-14 years old? He shouldn't be getting depressed because people call him names. If he's being bullied, he could do something about it. Teachers, helplines, there's a whole multitude of things he could do.

Secondly, of all the places he thinks to go, he goes to Youtube? It's full of people who will troll, flame, and make fun of him. Half the comments have nothing but crap to say about his video, while the remaining half are speeches about how everyone's precious, which won't help him one iota. His parents could help, his school could help, again, there's helplines all over the shot in place to do just that; help.

Thirdly, I'm not even really sure what the point of the video was. He's bullied; and? I've been bullied, I know people who've been bullied. It's something a hell of a lot of people go through. And what did he expect people through the internet to do; come to where he lives and build him up again? Meanwhile, he ends the whole video by saying what most of the people who weren't trolling him would've said anyway, that he needs to be strong. If he's got that sort of clarity of thought, all anyone else can do is pat him on the shoulder and say, "Yeah, good plan." ¬_¬

Finally, I just felt the whole thing was a cry for attention; which i'm sure it probably was. Let's face it, it sounds like he's had some pretty crap attention by being bullied, but lets not forget that I'm sure people in far worse positions deal with things way worse than simply being called names. Unless there's something else that happened to make his life worse, and I'm not saying there wasn't, then I think he could've made the effort to make his life better without going through the process of making a long-winded video.

Anyway, that's just my 2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by br3ttl3w View Post
    Let's face it, it sounds like he's had some pretty crap attention by being bullied, but lets not forget that I'm sure people in far worse positions deal with things way worse than simply being called names.
    Off topic: The fact that someone else has it worse than you doesn't make your own problems less problematic. It's like calling a kid who lost his mom lucky because some people are orphans.

I can see why you might be annoyed, but there are other things to consider.

In your third point, you talk about his clarity of thought. I think that's how we know what the point of his video is. It's not to get attention for himself, but it's more to help others. So many kids (especially gay kids) commit suicide every year, because they don't know about their resources. They don't know that they just need to be strong. They don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.this video is (I think) just trying to help other people see that they can do it.

At least, that's what I thought it was about.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason kids are acting this way after being bullied is because we treat kids like delicate little flowers these days. Know how you handled being bullied back in the day? You sacked up and kicked the little pissant's ass once you'd had enough.

Bullies will always exist. They will especially always exist on the internet where they have a shield of anonymity. You can't be a victim if you don't allow yourself to be one. The problem is the parents trying to shelter their kids instead of teaching them how to defend themselves and have some goddamned self-confidence.

So you're ugly, or you're fat, or you have a small dick, or you have a chest like a washing board, or you're so poor your only pair of jeans has six patches on it - big fucking deal. Deal with it. None of that has to be a problem unless you let it be a problem. I was fat growing up. I'm still fat today. Before I sacked up, what'd I do when someone called me fat? I denied and then went home and cried. Know what I did after I realized I didn't have to let it get to me, and what I've done ever since then? I reply with "yeah I am, what's your point, half-pint?"
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    Off topic: The fact that someone else has it worse than you doesn't make your own problems less problematic. It's like calling a kid who lost his mom lucky because some people are orphans.
    I'm not saying it doesn't matter; sure it does. But all I'm saying is a little perspective would make things a whole lot better, I think. Meanwhile Grafam, I s'pose that does make more sense if it's to help others out; it didn't seem right to have a video just saying "I was sad, but now I'm not", perhaps I just got my wires crossed a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    So you're ugly, or you're fat, or you have a small dick, or you have a chest like a washing board, or you're so poor your only pair of jeans has six patches on it - big fucking deal. Deal with it. None of that has to be a problem unless you let it be a problem. I was fat growing up. I'm still fat today. Before I sacked up, what'd I do when someone called me fat? I denied and then went home and cried. Know what I did after I realized I didn't have to let it get to me, and what I've done ever since then? I reply with "yeah I am, what's your point, half-pint?"
    ^ This on the other hand, I'm not so taken by. I mean, true, if you let something get you down, it will; but there's a fair few problems out there that aren't just "if i ignore it, I'll feel alright" types of things. Talking about it is the right thing to do, but not to the internet, because the internet is as you said, full of bullies hiding behind screen names and pixels.

Needless to say, the kid took a step, for sure, but I still don't think it was necessarily the right one.

That time of life sucks for most people. It might not get better, but too bad, that is the way it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually used the fact I'm fat and stupidly tall to my advantage; I scare the crap out of small people even though I've never hurt a fly. I do understand some people have a very hard time getting over their problems though. The only reason I didn't take it to heart was because of loving family (Half of it, the other half tried to make me feel worse) and some therapy, which not everyone has access to, sadly.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by br3ttl3w View Post
    I'm sorry, I watched this and I couldn't help but be just a touch annoyed by the whole thing.

Firstly, eighth grade, that's what, 13-14 years old? He shouldn't be getting depressed because people call him names. If he's being bullied, he could do something about it. Teachers, helplines, there's a whole multitude of things he could do.

Secondly, of all the places he thinks to go, he goes to Youtube? It's full of people who will troll, flame, and make fun of him. Half the comments have nothing but crap to say about his video, while the remaining half are speeches about how everyone's precious, which won't help him one iota. His parents could help, his school could help, again, there's helplines all over the shot in place to do just that; help.

Thirdly, I'm not even really sure what the point of the video was. He's bullied; and? I've been bullied, I know people who've been bullied. It's something a hell of a lot of people go through. And what did he expect people through the internet to do; come to where he lives and build him up again? Meanwhile, he ends the whole video by saying what most of the people who weren't trolling him would've said anyway, that he needs to be strong. If he's got that sort of clarity of thought, all anyone else can do is pat him on the shoulder and say, "Yeah, good plan." ¬_¬

Finally, I just felt the whole thing was a cry for attention; which i'm sure it probably was. Let's face it, it sounds like he's had some pretty crap attention by being bullied, but lets not forget that I'm sure people in far worse positions deal with things way worse than simply being called names. Unless there's something else that happened to make his life worse, and I'm not saying there wasn't, then I think he could've made the effort to make his life better without going through the process of making a long-winded video.

Anyway, that's just my 2p.
    You're being way too harsh on the kid. Would you honestly have thought about these things you mentioned if you were a 14-year old? I sincerely doubt it.
    He wants compassion and recognition, just like anyone else at that age. It's hardly wrong of him to seek it out.
    Don't be such a twat.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 10:14 AM ----------

The only reason kids are acting this way after being bullied is because we treat kids like delicate little flowers these days. Know how you handled being bullied back in the day? You sacked up and kicked the little pissant's ass once you'd had enough.
    Brave talk, but I dare bet you that you wouldn't be able to stand up for yourself if you were alone. You need someone at your back that lifts you up and shows you not to take shit.

Thank god someone remembers how it used to be done, and you know what?

It worked.

My brother was a monster to bullies, hell he was overprotective of me because of the scraps he got in. But now I look at him, in a very good place in life and wonder if any kid in the newer generations will be able to understand that kind of fire in someone.

And don't say I didn't get into some roughhousing, I grew up with him and another brother, pissing contests and straight up punches flying were common.

So how this relates to this topic: Grow the hell up.

Deleted
    Video where guy uses signs.... stoped watching after 5 sec due to detecting incredible amount of stupid in that, i would like ppl to consider that video was invented so that we may see and or hear instead of using words to describe, dunno why the kid is all emo about but i would guess its something bout him being a brat and parents not buying him an iphon/spanking him for some mistake by the look of his face ( or its one of those "Im gay b4 puberty and ppl laugh at me" video ... dunno which to pick ).

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You're being way too harsh on the kid. Would you honestly have thought about these things you mentioned if you were a 14-year old? I sincerely doubt it.
    He wants compassion and recognition, just like anyone else at that age. It's hardly wrong of him to seek it out.
    Don't be such a twat.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 10:14 AM ----------

Brave talk, but I dare bet you that you wouldn't be able to stand up for yourself if you were alone. You need someone at your back that lifts you up and shows you not to take shit.
    Read my comment and tell me:

Who was it that "lifted" my oldest brother?

To this day I can tell you, it was his own free will to start defending himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have sympathy for people that are depressed and think about killing themselves, but I have mixed views on cutters.

In my own personal life, I have only known people who cut themselves to do it for attention. I also had a cutter for a girlfriend once and she was definitely jumping on emo, avril lavigne bandwagon that was popular at the time.

The fact that cutting was once a glorified, stamped image that was used in meme art allows for me to find little sympathy for it.

Oh my god... /facepalm

I don't mean to be insensitive (but I know I am), but I'm really tired of these teenagers who can't handle bullies. It's ridiculous. You're not special. You're not the first person or even generation that has had to deal with bullies. DEAL WITH IT. We all got bullied, that doesn't mean we all had to be depressed and cut ourselves.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Oh my god... /facepalm

I don't mean to be insensitive (but I know I am), but I'm really tired of these teenagers who can't handle bullies. It's ridiculous. You're not special. You're not the first person or even generation that has had to deal with bullies. DEAL WITH IT. We all got bullied, that doesn't mean we all had to be depressed and cut ourselves.
    I would have to agree, no offense too anyone thats been bullied, but using the internet is not going to do any wonders for the kid except people feeling sorry for him, cant be wrapped in cotton wool for your whole life.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

/sigh

Getting bullied is never good, but kids these days don't know when to nut up and fight back, I was picked on several times during my years at school, know what I did? I fucking got in their faces and only had to knock 2 of em upside the head and the never bugged me again cause the knew what would happen. But when you do NOTHING and just sit their and take their insults does nothing but motivate them to continue.

Here's the kids response to his first video.

Deleted
    Some people got the nerve to strike back, most don't. You can't expect everyone to have that 'will of fire' to strike back on their bullies "like you did in the ol' days"

YouTube can do a lot of great things, we've seen it happend before. I'm not sure what he wanted to achieve with posting it though, but I recon it was a way for him to get out with some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roos View Post
    Some people got the nerve to strike back, most don't. You can't expect everyone to have that 'will of fire' to strike back on their bullies "like you did in the ol' days"

YouTube can do a lot of great things, we've seen it happend before. I'm not sure what he wanted to achieve with posting it though, but I recon it was a way for him to get out with some of it.
    ya 2000 area is the ol' days....

His video did not ask for anything, he wanted to tell people his sob story, thats it