Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    So sad, but so common....

    Hey guys, I saw this and thought it was so sad. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. Thoughts?

    http : //www .youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TdkNn3Ei-Lg

    (still can't post links...)

    edit: This video was just featured on gawker.com, and there is even a facebook group. I think it's about to go viral.
    Last edited by Grafam; 2011-12-04 at 06:58 AM. Reason: story update

  2. #2
    I'm sorry, I watched this and I couldn't help but be just a touch annoyed by the whole thing.

    Firstly, eighth grade, that's what, 13-14 years old? He shouldn't be getting depressed because people call him names. If he's being bullied, he could do something about it. Teachers, helplines, there's a whole multitude of things he could do.

    Secondly, of all the places he thinks to go, he goes to Youtube? It's full of people who will troll, flame, and make fun of him. Half the comments have nothing but crap to say about his video, while the remaining half are speeches about how everyone's precious, which won't help him one iota. His parents could help, his school could help, again, there's helplines all over the shot in place to do just that; help.

    Thirdly, I'm not even really sure what the point of the video was. He's bullied; and? I've been bullied, I know people who've been bullied. It's something a hell of a lot of people go through. And what did he expect people through the internet to do; come to where he lives and build him up again? Meanwhile, he ends the whole video by saying what most of the people who weren't trolling him would've said anyway, that he needs to be strong. If he's got that sort of clarity of thought, all anyone else can do is pat him on the shoulder and say, "Yeah, good plan." ¬_¬

    Finally, I just felt the whole thing was a cry for attention; which i'm sure it probably was. Let's face it, it sounds like he's had some pretty crap attention by being bullied, but lets not forget that I'm sure people in far worse positions deal with things way worse than simply being called names. Unless there's something else that happened to make his life worse, and I'm not saying there wasn't, then I think he could've made the effort to make his life better without going through the process of making a long-winded video.

    Anyway, that's just my 2p.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by br3ttl3w View Post
    Let's face it, it sounds like he's had some pretty crap attention by being bullied, but lets not forget that I'm sure people in far worse positions deal with things way worse than simply being called names.
    Off topic: The fact that someone else has it worse than you doesn't make your own problems less problematic. It's like calling a kid who lost his mom lucky because some people are orphans.

  4. #4
    I can see why you might be annoyed, but there are other things to consider.

    In your third point, you talk about his clarity of thought. I think that's how we know what the point of his video is. It's not to get attention for himself, but it's more to help others. So many kids (especially gay kids) commit suicide every year, because they don't know about their resources. They don't know that they just need to be strong. They don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.this video is (I think) just trying to help other people see that they can do it.

    At least, that's what I thought it was about.

  5. #5
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    11,417
    The only reason kids are acting this way after being bullied is because we treat kids like delicate little flowers these days. Know how you handled being bullied back in the day? You sacked up and kicked the little pissant's ass once you'd had enough.

    Bullies will always exist. They will especially always exist on the internet where they have a shield of anonymity. You can't be a victim if you don't allow yourself to be one. The problem is the parents trying to shelter their kids instead of teaching them how to defend themselves and have some goddamned self-confidence.

    So you're ugly, or you're fat, or you have a small dick, or you have a chest like a washing board, or you're so poor your only pair of jeans has six patches on it - big fucking deal. Deal with it. None of that has to be a problem unless you let it be a problem. I was fat growing up. I'm still fat today. Before I sacked up, what'd I do when someone called me fat? I denied and then went home and cried. Know what I did after I realized I didn't have to let it get to me, and what I've done ever since then? I reply with "yeah I am, what's your point, half-pint?"
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    Off topic: The fact that someone else has it worse than you doesn't make your own problems less problematic. It's like calling a kid who lost his mom lucky because some people are orphans.
    I'm not saying it doesn't matter; sure it does. But all I'm saying is a little perspective would make things a whole lot better, I think. Meanwhile Grafam, I s'pose that does make more sense if it's to help others out; it didn't seem right to have a video just saying "I was sad, but now I'm not", perhaps I just got my wires crossed a little.

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    So you're ugly, or you're fat, or you have a small dick, or you have a chest like a washing board, or you're so poor your only pair of jeans has six patches on it - big fucking deal. Deal with it. None of that has to be a problem unless you let it be a problem. I was fat growing up. I'm still fat today. Before I sacked up, what'd I do when someone called me fat? I denied and then went home and cried. Know what I did after I realized I didn't have to let it get to me, and what I've done ever since then? I reply with "yeah I am, what's your point, half-pint?"
    ^ This on the other hand, I'm not so taken by. I mean, true, if you let something get you down, it will; but there's a fair few problems out there that aren't just "if i ignore it, I'll feel alright" types of things. Talking about it is the right thing to do, but not to the internet, because the internet is as you said, full of bullies hiding behind screen names and pixels.

    Needless to say, the kid took a step, for sure, but I still don't think it was necessarily the right one.

  7. #7
    That time of life sucks for most people. It might not get better, but too bad, that is the way it is.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord Brettshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Cloud District
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    So you're ugly, or you're fat, or you have a small dick, or you have a chest like a washing board, or you're so poor your only pair of jeans has six patches on it - big fucking deal. Deal with it. None of that has to be a problem unless you let it be a problem. I was fat growing up. I'm still fat today. Before I sacked up, what'd I do when someone called me fat? I denied and then went home and cried. Know what I did after I realized I didn't have to let it get to me, and what I've done ever since then? I reply with "yeah I am, what's your point, half-pint?"
    I actually used the fact I'm fat and stupidly tall to my advantage; I scare the crap out of small people even though I've never hurt a fly. I do understand some people have a very hard time getting over their problems though. The only reason I didn't take it to heart was because of loving family (Half of it, the other half tried to make me feel worse) and some therapy, which not everyone has access to, sadly.

  9. #9
    Elemental Lord Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    8,207
    Quote Originally Posted by br3ttl3w View Post
    I'm sorry, I watched this and I couldn't help but be just a touch annoyed by the whole thing.

    Firstly, eighth grade, that's what, 13-14 years old? He shouldn't be getting depressed because people call him names. If he's being bullied, he could do something about it. Teachers, helplines, there's a whole multitude of things he could do.

    Secondly, of all the places he thinks to go, he goes to Youtube? It's full of people who will troll, flame, and make fun of him. Half the comments have nothing but crap to say about his video, while the remaining half are speeches about how everyone's precious, which won't help him one iota. His parents could help, his school could help, again, there's helplines all over the shot in place to do just that; help.

    Thirdly, I'm not even really sure what the point of the video was. He's bullied; and? I've been bullied, I know people who've been bullied. It's something a hell of a lot of people go through. And what did he expect people through the internet to do; come to where he lives and build him up again? Meanwhile, he ends the whole video by saying what most of the people who weren't trolling him would've said anyway, that he needs to be strong. If he's got that sort of clarity of thought, all anyone else can do is pat him on the shoulder and say, "Yeah, good plan." ¬_¬

    Finally, I just felt the whole thing was a cry for attention; which i'm sure it probably was. Let's face it, it sounds like he's had some pretty crap attention by being bullied, but lets not forget that I'm sure people in far worse positions deal with things way worse than simply being called names. Unless there's something else that happened to make his life worse, and I'm not saying there wasn't, then I think he could've made the effort to make his life better without going through the process of making a long-winded video.

    Anyway, that's just my 2p.
    You're being way too harsh on the kid. Would you honestly have thought about these things you mentioned if you were a 14-year old? I sincerely doubt it.
    He wants compassion and recognition, just like anyone else at that age. It's hardly wrong of him to seek it out.
    Don't be such a twat.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 10:14 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    The only reason kids are acting this way after being bullied is because we treat kids like delicate little flowers these days. Know how you handled being bullied back in the day? You sacked up and kicked the little pissant's ass once you'd had enough.
    Brave talk, but I dare bet you that you wouldn't be able to stand up for yourself if you were alone. You need someone at your back that lifts you up and shows you not to take shit.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    The only reason kids are acting this way after being bullied is because we treat kids like delicate little flowers these days. Know how you handled being bullied back in the day? You sacked up and kicked the little pissant's ass once you'd had enough.
    Thank god someone remembers how it used to be done, and you know what?

    It worked.

    My brother was a monster to bullies, hell he was overprotective of me because of the scraps he got in. But now I look at him, in a very good place in life and wonder if any kid in the newer generations will be able to understand that kind of fire in someone.

    And don't say I didn't get into some roughhousing, I grew up with him and another brother, pissing contests and straight up punches flying were common.

    So how this relates to this topic: Grow the hell up.
    Yes that is Spider-Man crying over a box of Uncle Ben's rice.

  11. #11
    Video where guy uses signs.... stoped watching after 5 sec due to detecting incredible amount of stupid in that, i would like ppl to consider that video was invented so that we may see and or hear instead of using words to describe, dunno why the kid is all emo about but i would guess its something bout him being a brat and parents not buying him an iphon/spanking him for some mistake by the look of his face ( or its one of those "Im gay b4 puberty and ppl laugh at me" video ... dunno which to pick ).

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You're being way too harsh on the kid. Would you honestly have thought about these things you mentioned if you were a 14-year old? I sincerely doubt it.
    He wants compassion and recognition, just like anyone else at that age. It's hardly wrong of him to seek it out.
    Don't be such a twat.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 10:14 AM ----------



    Brave talk, but I dare bet you that you wouldn't be able to stand up for yourself if you were alone. You need someone at your back that lifts you up and shows you not to take shit.
    Read my comment and tell me:

    Who was it that "lifted" my oldest brother?

    To this day I can tell you, it was his own free will to start defending himself.
    Yes that is Spider-Man crying over a box of Uncle Ben's rice.

  13. #13
    Scarab Lord Noobadin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,016
    Looks fake.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Collegeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,680
    I have sympathy for people that are depressed and think about killing themselves, but I have mixed views on cutters.

    In my own personal life, I have only known people who cut themselves to do it for attention. I also had a cutter for a girlfriend once and she was definitely jumping on emo, avril lavigne bandwagon that was popular at the time.

    The fact that cutting was once a glorified, stamped image that was used in meme art allows for me to find little sympathy for it.

  15. #15
    Oh my god... /facepalm

    I don't mean to be insensitive (but I know I am), but I'm really tired of these teenagers who can't handle bullies. It's ridiculous. You're not special. You're not the first person or even generation that has had to deal with bullies. DEAL WITH IT. We all got bullied, that doesn't mean we all had to be depressed and cut ourselves.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans starkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Planet Caravan
    Posts
    2,904
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Oh my god... /facepalm

    I don't mean to be insensitive (but I know I am), but I'm really tired of these teenagers who can't handle bullies. It's ridiculous. You're not special. You're not the first person or even generation that has had to deal with bullies. DEAL WITH IT. We all got bullied, that doesn't mean we all had to be depressed and cut ourselves.
    I would have to agree, no offense too anyone thats been bullied, but using the internet is not going to do any wonders for the kid except people feeling sorry for him, cant be wrapped in cotton wool for your whole life.
    You are lying! I never hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

  17. #17
    /sigh

    Getting bullied is never good, but kids these days don't know when to nut up and fight back, I was picked on several times during my years at school, know what I did? I fucking got in their faces and only had to knock 2 of em upside the head and the never bugged me again cause the knew what would happen. But when you do NOTHING and just sit their and take their insults does nothing but motivate them to continue.

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord Noobadin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,016
    Here's the kids response to his first video.


  19. #19
    Some people got the nerve to strike back, most don't. You can't expect everyone to have that 'will of fire' to strike back on their bullies "like you did in the ol' days"

    YouTube can do a lot of great things, we've seen it happend before. I'm not sure what he wanted to achieve with posting it though, but I recon it was a way for him to get out with some of it.
    "Life is like a bowl of soup. You only get blown if you are hot."

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Roos View Post
    Some people got the nerve to strike back, most don't. You can't expect everyone to have that 'will of fire' to strike back on their bullies "like you did in the ol' days"

    YouTube can do a lot of great things, we've seen it happend before. I'm not sure what he wanted to achieve with posting it though, but I recon it was a way for him to get out with some of it.
    ya 2000 area is the ol' days....

    His video did not ask for anything, he wanted to tell people his sob story, thats it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •