10+ Year Old Account

parents with blaming videogames

Hey anyone ever notice how some games, and im not talkin about stuff like call of duty, get blamed for teaching young kids, talkin 10 or 12 year old kids, supposed violence and usually its the parents that are first to complain about them trying to boycott em but it never really works. just wanted to know why do you think some parents lash out like this instead of blaming themselves in the first place?

Because parents don't want to get in trouble just like kids, theyy don't want to take the blame and will usually cop out in any situation by asserting their experience or financial status over you, even though they can be wrong from time to time.

A hint that will provide you insight for your entire life: There is no magical transformation into an adult, you are the same stupid kid you always were(not you personally), you just have more responsibilities.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bad parents being bad at teaching their kids what's right and wrong is the real problem. Bad parenting is the source of most trouble with kids.
    Some parents don't know what games are, they are ignorant about it, just as they are ignorant of their own role as a parent.

Some people have a hard time accepting that they're at fault for something and look to blame anything else but themselves for said problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back during the 50s, inmates would be given comics such as Superman and Batman and they loved them, then the government tried to ban comic books and parents taught their kids to avoid them at all costs (Because if inmates like them, they're obviously evil). 60 years later and Superman and Batman are some people's greatest role models. The government tries to sway the public that something they don't understand (Video games in this case) is bad, and should be avoided, and parents listen to it. Video games are the newest target in a long line of targets, in a few years, or decades, it may be something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a biased opinion that games like cod give you mental deficiencies, but that is all.

I rather have my child play video games than fry their brain watching Hannah Montana, so why are video games subject to more criticism than the blatant abuse kids television does? Miley Cyrus pole dancing, Selena Gomez humping a mirror, or teens acting like door knobs on Secret life of an American Teenager, and that is only the family channel. Family channel doesnt look very family-ish when I think back when I was a kid.

I think it is because the video game industry is the weakest link. Only losers and nerds play video games right.

Deleted
    my mother never blamed games. i grew up playing video games, a lot of GTA games while i was younger and such. the only way it seems to have affected me is that i now play more video games :P
    i dont think you can really blame a video game if your child misbehaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I have a biased opinion that games like cod give you mental deficiencies, but that is all.

I rather have my child play video games than fry their brain watching Hannah Montana, so why are video games subject to more criticism than the blatant abuse kids television does? Miley Cyrus pole dancing, Selena Gomez humping a mirror, or teens acting like door knobs on Secret life of an American Teenager, and that is only the family channel. Family channel doesnt look very family-ish when I think back when I was a kid.

I think it is because the video game industry is the weakest link. Only losers and nerds play video games right.
    I completely agree with you, and I've tried my best to avoid my 3 kids from watching any of the shows on the Disney channel it is a completely ridiculous form of entertainment in my opinion.

As for parents blaming video games, I suppose parents can a lot of the time be at fault for a child's misbehaviour but children are incredibly influential especially at young ages and think little about the repercussions their actions will have. Just because as a parent you've told your child what they should and shouldn't do, doesn't mean they will listen to you.
    Last edited by nixcookies; 2011-12-04 at 11:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Some people have a hard time accepting that they're at fault for something and look to blame anything else but themselves for said problems.
    Agreed.

besides, parents that blame the video games/tv e.t.c., where were they when their kids were watching it?
    You'd obviously wouldn't find them sitting next to their kids telling them that they should never do those things to a living being.
    The parents are usually too occupied with their own things, choosing selfish activities in front of spending time with their children, then needs to blame someone for failing to look after their children properly.

fake it till u make it. thats what most parents do. they screw up often but try and reinforce the fact that they are succesful at the moment.. blaming videogames is for dumb people.. they arent the problem.. its up to the parents job to monitor their kids and provide moderation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Allways been some media that took the blame for what children did, and while there may be a partial truth in it - its not the cause. At most some media can be inspiration to an individual - but then that means the parents and others near the person failed in raising the person or pulling the person back to reality. As long as you don´t see an "epidemic" of young children (or any person for that matter) going up and shooting people directly saying they believed they were playing a game its not the medias fault. If it was I believe we would have seen something ages ago - ofc. the minute we get some kind of virtual reality simulator like on Star Trek we might get cases like that

On a related sidenote - Wolfenstein 3D was said to be realistic graphics during its time...
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    First it was Marvel and other comic book producers in the 60's/70's.
    Then it was Heavy Metal/"Angry music" in general from the 80's for a while.
    Now it is video games.

My bet is that the next scapegoat is organized sports teams for kids. Really, teaching them to tackle their opponents, win at all costs, AND they can earn money from it when they grow up? SATAN'S WORK!

It really is just parents needing something to blame, and (smart) politicians knowing that it would be borderline suicidal to sit on the evening news and go "Nope. It's just awful parenting".
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

I played GTA when I was younger and now I'm a mass murderer who steals cars and has sex with hookers and then kills them to get my money back whilst being the biggest crime lord in the San Andreas. Yeeeeahhhh
    this game sucks

For some people video games are addictive and they can cause problems in their life. Don't think everything is so black and white my friend

Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    Hey anyone ever notice how some games, and im not talkin about stuff like call of duty, get blamed for teaching young kids, talkin 10 or 12 year old kids, supposed violence and usually its the parents that are first to complain about them trying to boycott em but it never really works. just wanted to know why do you think some parents lash out like this instead of blaming themselves in the first place?
    Poor choice of babysitter means the babysitter is the bad guy, not the parents who let them watch their kid.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a bad tradesman will blame his shoddy work on poor tools,
    a bad salesman will blame poor sales on the economy,
    a bad parent will blame whatever it is that they ALLOWED their children to do to keep them occupied.

Video games didn't cause me to be violent, it was the emotional neglect from my parents.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

Deleted
    I reckon video games do have an effect on one's character. I haven't met an irritating person who is remotely interested in video games that doesn't play Call of Duty. At the same time, I know somebody who is a very good friend of mine, and he also plays FPS games. I reckon that video games don't have a massive effect on one's character by themselves (with, as ever, a few exceptions), but a parent not checking what games their kids are playing just comes with the bad parenting package.