Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    But I need to watch TV on my phone and own a new expenssive phone to feel special!

But you're right. It's all completely unneccesary stuff.
    Then again, I don't have anything to hide, so go ahead and listen to my phonecalls. Even though I don't have a cellphone of these types.
    Its not about what you have to hide anymore. this is why i m a lot concerned. Your credit card passwords and passwords of everything is saved on that thing, even if u don't save that info. on your smart phone. if u lose it or some one hacks it, they have access to all your financial stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddabezze View Post
    Give me one reason why they would waste time, money, and man-hours to constantly search every text message, every key stroke, every search you and the rest of the billions of people that have cell phones.
    You make it sound like it'd be hard. It wouldn't be.
    Google indexes the entire internet and can give you a search result in a fraction of a second. Do you really think it wouldn't be difficult to scan through our data with the billions the NSA, CIA, and HS have at their disposal? The noose is closing-in on individual freedoms slowly, an silently. Corporate controlled media, public protest tightly regulated and controlled, traffic cams everywhere, facial recognition software, Biometric scanning at airports, RFID chips on passports and Driver ID's, now your cellphone becomes your personal monitor, and I'm sure the new tablets do the same. And the worst part is, we're letting them do it because we're terrified of overinflated threats from terrorists, when the real danger is that we're becoming an engineered society. One that lives to service the needs of corporations. Stupid, docile, vain, and apathetic about each other.

Quote Originally Posted by xenoz View Post
    You make it sound like it'd be hard. It wouldn't be.
    Google indexes the entire internet and can give you a search result in a fraction of a second. Do you really think it wouldn't be difficult to scan through our data with the billions the NSA, CIA, and HS have at their disposal? The noose is closing-in on individual freedoms slowly, an silently. Corporate controlled media, public protest tightly regulated and controlled, traffic cams everywhere, facial recognition software, Biometric scanning at airports, RFID chips on passports and Driver ID's, now your cellphone becomes your personal monitor, and I'm sure the new tablets do the same. And the worst part is, we're letting them do it because we're terrified of overinflated threats from terrorists, when the real danger is that we're becoming an engineered society. One that lives to service the needs of corporations. Stupid, docile, vain, and apathetic about each other.

You sound insane. I'm not going to repeat my main points, I feel like this argument has gone full circle and now we are back at the beginning. Your're limiting yourself to one scenario, which is outlandish nonetheless. The benefits severely out weigh the consequences. If you haven't done anything wrong, you should not worry about the government coming to take you away.

Corporations are evolving with our people, so to say. They are learning what we like, what we don't like, and are using this info and data to purpose better and more innovative products. I really see no problem here with this program. You do though, so stop using your cellphone, credit card, pay off all your bills, change your name and burn your social security card. Move into the wilderness and go completely off the grid. Its the only way to be 100% sure.

This kind of shit has been going on for decades. I don't see why now its becoming such a problem. There have been no incidents of people being abused by this measure of security or invasion of privacy.
    Last edited by Cheddabezze; 2011-12-04 at 07:53 PM.

There not just going to be like 'OH today seems like a good day to rifle through Xenoz life and personal data.' Your not that special, sorry

And back to the hackers, because I have a feeling you would come up with a counter response to that topic. The data is not stored in your phones, its stored in some giant giant server, somewhere far away. Hackers would need to by-pass a boat load of security just to get into the server, undetected I might add, the proceed to data mine through a bunch of random garbage code, to find ONE persons personal info, then data mine that and decypher the encrypted code to find what they want. Its not going to happen. No way. They would get caught as soon as the by-passed the main servers first line of defense

Sony, Amazon, RSA, Cisco, AT&T, Northrup Grumman, L3 Communications.... these are just a few of the hundreds of major security breaches (this year alone), where customer data was taken by hackers. Putting my data on some server somewhere makes it LESS SAFE, not more, because it become a juicer target for thieves.

Also, you don't seem to understand how data mining works. They don't target a person on a case by case basis. They collect terabytes of information on millions of people. Then they search for an idea, product, or string of words, and THEN come up with a list of matches. The distinction is that I don't want to be cataloged. I want control over my life, my identity, and to only give it out to parties I trust. Parties that won't exploit my data for their own personal profit, parties that won't trade it like poker chips, parties that won't use it to screw me over.

Deleted
    People really need to stop reading 1984. Its overall message has been completely warped into a million brands of childish paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Noin View Post
    People really need to stop reading 1984. Its overall message has been completely warped into a million brands of childish paranoia.
    Do you deny that there's been power creep within the law enforcement of most first-world nations?

TBH if the government wants any information about you, they just need to ask your phone company or ISP.

The usual argument I hear in these kinds of cases is, "If you have nothing to hide, then why do you have a problem?" For me, I prefer to enjoy a certain level of privacy; I don't want everything I do to be recorded in some way. I don't use a smartphone, but it's an interesting development.

15+ Year Old Account
    Worried yet?
    Nah. I use my phone to make calls and play Angry Birds. They can have fun with that info if they like.

10+ Year Old Account
    It surely is against privacy laws, or at least SHOULD be!

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Personally i don't like it when the government does stuff like this, invasion of privacy, telling me i can't have salt in my food, etc.

However since i have nothing to hide, i have a hard time caring.

If the government want's scan my phone have at it, all they are going to find is my high score on doodle jump.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

You sound insane. I'm not going to repeat my main points, I feel like this argument has gone full circle and now we are back at the beginning. Your're limiting yourself to one scenario, which is outlandish nonetheless. The benefits severely out weigh the consequences. If you haven't done anything wrong, you should not worry about the government coming to take you away.

Corporations are evolving with our people, so to say. They are learning what we like, what we don't like, and are using this info and data to purpose better and more innovative products. I really see no problem here with this program. You do though, so stop using your cellphone, credit card, pay off all your bills, change your name and burn your social security card. Move into the wilderness and go completely off the grid. Its the only way to be 100% sure.

This kind of shit has been going on for decades. I don't see why now its becoming such a problem. There have been no incidents of people being abused by this measure of security or invasion of privacy.

1. I'm not insane, you just don't care, and justify your apathy by denying the problem.
    2. Corporations are at best amoral machines that care only about attaining personal profit, and will do anything to do so even if their actions exploit people. And government had been bought by them to the detriment of everyone else
    3. I will not just go bury my head in the sand, because I actually care and am willing to fight to protect your rights even if you don't.
    4. People don't see the problem because they never look far enough ahead. Just like the Iraq war (10 years and counting). Look around and ask yourself one thing. "If I ever decided to protest government abuses, what would happen to me?" You'll find some really nasty surprises.

Think i'm crazy, this happened today:
    http://bit.ly/uPdnRD
    This sets a REALLY bad precedent allowing the military to detain US citizens without trial. And this is the compromised version, the previous version didn't make ANY distinction between US citizens and Al Qaeda.
    Last edited by xenoz; 2011-12-04 at 08:43 PM.

Think i'm crazy, this happened today:
    http://bit.ly/uPdnRD
    This sets a REALLY bad precedent allowing the military to detain US citizens without trial. And this is the compromised version, the previous version didn't make ANY distinction between US citizens and Al Qaeda.
    The free country of United States of America! \o/
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988