Shake your money-maker!

So, with the approach of a new game comes the dawn of a new market to "finesse" (under new rules and circumstances, using the word "exploit" has been deemed poor play).

So what crafting skills and requisite gathering/mission skills will be the most profitable in your opinion?

*I need to make money to support my wife and her 15 children.

Biochem/Bioanalysis/Diplomacy is what I'm going with. Easy access to stims & medpacks and you should be able to make a nice profit from it since everybody needs stims & medpacks.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It's tough to call it right now.

Slicing is obvious profit. You could go the route of three gathering professions and then GTN everything. But then you have to think about how much crafting material will actually go for on the GTN when people can easily just send out their companions on missions for a set price for such items. Sure there will always be the people short cutting the time/chance of failure/randomness for direct materials but at what price?

My plan is to do Biochem/Bio Analysis/Diplomacy on my first character. There is tons of crafted items people will be willing to buy (blue medkits/stims are BEAST) so I think there might be a big profit there. My alt will be doing artifice/Archaeology/Treasure Hunting.

Color crystals are probably going to be one of the hottest to sell items because it's stat and visual changes will make people flock to it.

My prediction is biochem/artifice/slicing is the most profitable crew skills but it will take two characters to pull that combination off.

Alternatively, if you had a ton of credits you could take 3 mission based crew skills like treasure hunting, diplomacy and UWT and just cycle all your companions out on those missions. Then GTN everything you get from them. The rare/epic components will actually sell quite well I think. Will it turn a profit? I can't call it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly just getting professions that benefit me. It seems credits are extremely easy to get (100k before hitting 30) so I'm going to do what puts me in a better position. The only money sinks I have found are the mounts (1.5mill credits anyone?) which are great to have but its nothing something I'd really be shooting for. I might level an alt solely for making me money but I'm not sure yet. It seems too early to know which professions might turn out the best because everything seems to have its own advantages.

I was reading from a previous poster that the crafting system was intentionally designed that you must use mats from other crafters and professions in order to make anything worthwhile. So we are forced to do trade with each other in a sense. Seems like the inherent "value added" by each other profession's mats will decrease the margin on crafted goods.

Perhaps sticking to mats and components is the way to go as it will likely yield the highest margin.

i wanna be a stripper!

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    i wanna be a stripper!
    Twi'lek? You say Aqualish and we're gonna have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by arons4 View Post
    That picture is outdaded, swap places between Light Armor & Biochem in mission skills and it's accurate.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Since you can only have 1 crafting profession per character, I would strongly advise against getting "only gathering" professions if you ever intend to craft anything as any of your characters. To get all craft professions, you're gonna need all your characters.

Personally i'm going to go artifice, archeology, and probably underworld trading.

Keep artifice appropriate to your level will allow you better gear customization because you can put in new armor/weapon mods for your fancy looking gear and aren't forced to upgrade to something ugly just for the better stats. And end game artifice will end up being the most profitable profession, it's the jewelcrafting of SWTOR.
    Last edited by Dasani; 2011-12-04 at 10:33 PM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

I think Cybertech is more the JC type than Artifice (lightsaber hilt) or Armstech (blaster barrel). Artifice does indeed look really strong, but it only makes mod slots for weapons whereas Cybertech makes them for all armor. Technically they, and Armstech, are all "JC" type in that they make mods which are used in lots of gear... but I believe Cybertech edges out the other two in sheer quantity. I think Cybertech also gets a bit better gadgets, craftable mount, etc... though I could be wrong and the other two get equally cool stuff. Regardless, I'm definitely going Cybertech and my wife is going Artifice since I think they are potentially both really strong and allow crafting of epic hilts/platings all the way to max level.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning here:

Artifice: Hilt, Crystal, Enhancements All only used in light sabres?
    Cybertech: Mod, Plating Used for all armors and mod used for all gear?

Also, to anyone reading this I am actually trying to learn more about crew skills than anything else in the game (pre-launch) so I get a good start on money and professions so any corrections you can make to my line of thinking would be appreciated. Like REALLY appreciated. I've read everything I can find on them but there is not much info out there from what I can tell. I'm also looking at TORhead daily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Keep artifice appropriate to your level will allow you better gear customization because you can put in new armor/weapon mods for your fancy looking gear and aren't forced to upgrade to something ugly just for the better stats. And end game artifice will end up being the most profitable profession, it's the jewelcrafting of SWTOR.
    woha, that's not entirely true ... there are just some "slottable stuffs" craftable with artifice.

artifice is, afaik, just hilts, color crystals and some enhancements. Harnesses/Modifications/Support/Barrels are obtained through other crewskills and other sources ...

From what I've seen so far, credits aren't an issue at all to obtain so I'm not sure that any profession will really be a money maker. They may be suited to craft for you and your guild but unless the credit waterfall slows down at max level I wouldn't expect to have to put too much emphasis on farming it.