Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Wow, you're misinformed. HDMI = DVI-D = digital signal. One isn't better than the other.
    last time i checked, Displayport is set to replace DVI, not HDMI, HDMI is for TV's and Displayport is for computers and will be standard as of 2013, the reason i put DVI in front of HDMI is that while they have the same max resolution, DVI is dedicated video, and does not carry audio signal, and is pretty standard an every GPU made in the last few years

and geek squad will not try to sell you a $1000 DVI cable

---------- Post added 2011-12-05 at 01:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

Just the Alienware stamp is enough to make me think the price is stupidly high, know any place that sells this?
    they are $450ish, about the same price as the Acer

ATI Radeon HD 5770 hooked to a 42LD400 LG HDTV with a hdmi cable works great for me

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    last time i checked, Displayport is set to replace DVI, not HDMI, HDMI is for TV's and Displayport is for computers and will be standard as of 2013, the reason i put DVI in front of HDMI is that while they have the same max resolution, DVI is dedicated video, and does not carry audio signal, and is pretty standard an every GPU made in the last few years

and geek squad will not try to sell you a $1000 DVI cable

---------- Post added 2011-12-05 at 01:09 AM ----------

they are $450ish, about the same price as the Acer
    Not even going to bother refuting any of this. I strongly suggest you research (and use logic) before posting about subjects which you know little about.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Somebody said the alienware monitor is too pricey. Just wait for a sale - usually once every two months; it is a 3d monitor it really is not that pricey compared to competition and discounts. Also dell ultrasharp ips (namely u2711) is also nice bonus if you aren't into fps games and prefer color reproduction. The Dell u2711 when discounted comes to $639AU which is what i will get once ivy bridge decides to make an appearance all this money saved up for my computer is driving me nuts thinking now i could buy a cheap car lol. I have a computer with athalon 64 processor and trust me it is pushing its limits hopefully it will last for another 6mths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Not even going to bother refuting any of this. I strongly suggest you research (and use logic) before posting about subjects which you know little about.
    what exactly are you refuting? and what logic? you made this post but it has no content, but please continue to treat me like a kid on his moms computer, im not an IT technician or anything, i don't research every post i make because i rely on memory from what i read, and i expect that if you are curious about something mentioned you will do your own research on it, but since you can't or won't, i did it for you:

DVI and D-Sub are still the most common standards, HDMI is for tv's, yes computers come with them, but electronics manufacturers phasing that out in favor of a two standard system, computers will use displayport and tv's will use HDMI

oh, and:

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl.../19/46464.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

http://www.edn.com/article/472107-Br...t_standard.php

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...echnology/1384

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    just to make sure this is clear, as it looks like people are confusing this:
    Displayport = DVI > HDMI > D-SUB(VGA)

HDMI is for tvs, not computers, Dual Link DVI and Displayport are what you want on a monitor, HDMI is a nice bonus, but it should not be what you are looking for in a monitor
    HDMI is the same pins as DVI, but in a different arrangement. In terms of ability to transfer a picture quickly and accurately, they are the same. Thats why its about $1 US for a converter for HDMI->DVI or vice versa. I would go for HDMI, as it is the growing trend, and also allows you to use your monitor as a TV if you are so inclined.
    "I love the name of honor more than I fear death
    -Shakespear, Julius Caesar