How to Mage/Rogue?

Okay, I've searched Google and Youtube and can't find any good tutorials about this comp that apply to Cata. I've searched this website, but the search feature is pretty terrible, IMO, so I couldn't really find any threads about this either.

I've been trying to get my new rogue into the PvP scene, and I've been practicing (mostly on the PTR in 2v2 and a bit with 3v3) and I've come to several conclusions:

• Rogues should never play with healers
    • Frost Mages are a royal pain in the ass to fight against in 2v2
    • Frost Mages are the best bet for a partner

So, basically, how is this comp played? Based on what I know, it revolves around a very strong opener, and by scoring kills with Smokebombs and CC chaining the other partner.

Can I get a bit more detailed explanation for what to do? Specifically vs certain comps would be great too.

Deleted
    Just cc healer and nuke dps, u have plenty of cc so use them wisely

There is no 'tutorial' for 2v2, it is an unbalanced bracket and you happen to want to play the most faceroll comp.

CC... then kill. Yep, that's pretty much it.

What useful comments.

CC shit and kill shit. Gee, why thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    What useful comments.

2's isn't rocket science and requires no real strategy.. that is why no one does them anymore, and why Blizzard removed the PvP titles from it.

If neither is invisible sheep one and open hard on the other. If you burst right the target should die.

If one is invisible sap the first target and open on him hard and pray the invisible isn't a feral.

Honestly you better not fuck up the opener because with a starting rogue who doesn't know what he's doing, it's gonna be a problem living long against a team with a healer.

What useful comments.

That's what it is in a nutshell.

Poly Spam healer. Counter spell healer. Blind Healer. Sap Healer.
    Use those in any pre determined order. Smokebomb for the kill. Bout it really.

It's not as easy as everyone says. Yeah, 2v2 is broken, and if you wanna play at 1500 mmr then sure, "spam cc" with no reasoning behind it and you'll get kills.

This'll just be a quick overview of things off the top of my head. Nothing in-depth, no number crunching or anything, but yeah =P.
    As rogue/mage you NEED to get strong openers or you'll fall behind.
    Alot of the time you can kill things a few seconds after you open if you manage to force an early trinket by putting out enough pressure.
    General tips:
    -Mage start in invis
    -open with a sap on one and a sheep on the other - This makes sure that you won't be getting peeled when you open unless they pop trinket, bubble, block, etc. (You don't ALWAYS need to open like this, but it makes the openers fairly stronger. Really depends what comps you come up against and what ways they have to get out of cc though.)
    -Mage should be opening hard with IV and trinket popped, you should probably save dance for the second opener you'll get once dr's reset.
    -Almost always, you'll be forcing trinket in the opener unless it gets messed up somehow. If one of you gets caught out or something, try to reset, get a sheep on the target you're not killing and open hard on the kill target. Try to force some cd's and depending on how many you can force it won't have too much of an impact on the rest of the game.
    -Watch stun dr's. Mage will mostly wanna deep the cc target rather than deep the kill target because it'll mess up the stun dr's. (Unless you guys have something else sorted out at least.)
    -Communication's big so you don't mess up DR's. Sap and sheep share DR so you don't wanna be randomly trying to get cool saps off and mess up possible cc chains that the mage might be able to set up. (You could have had more uptime on the kill target or the mage could have been doing more dmg rather than casting sheep, etc.)
    -Chain CC off one another. You have alot of instant cast cc, but rogue's cc cd's are fairly long so you don't wanna waste them by overlapping and wasting dr's.

Mage/rogue can peel for each other all game so if you think you're falling behind, peel for each other and try to get drinks off etc.

An example of a perfect game would be:
    Both open in invis. You see it's a... Pally Warrior. Sheep and sap both targets (in this case, sap the pally and sheep the warrior so the warrior doesn't enrage out of sap). Say you open on the pally hard (Garrote -> shatter -> 5 point kidney -> blanket cs -> deep [if you want]), and warrior decides to trinket the polly. Usually you'll force a pally trinket or bubble on the opener, possibly even both depending on what mmr you're playing at. From here there's 2 things you can do.
    1. If he only trinketed, you can blind him right away and switch to the warrior hard. with a bomb and a deep (if you didn't use it on opener) or a cheap shot. Sheep/sap dr's will be off the pally by the time blind runs out and either the mage or the rogue can sheep/sap the pally again while dpsing the warrior. alot of the time, if the pally doesn't decide to bubble here, you might be able to get a kill on the warrior. If he does bubble then it leads into my second situation.
    2. If he bubbles then switch to warrior (or stick to him) and wait out bubble. Switching to the warrior will stop some of the incoming damage. When bubble drops, you wanna nova the warrior or sheep him, and instantly redirect -> shadowstep kidney the pally and pop dance if you haven't, garrote out of the kidney -> blanket cs and keeping cc on the warrior (use blind out of the initial sheep when you switched if you haven't blinded). A lot of the time that'll be enough to kill the pally.

This situation plays out if you played the game really well though. Warrior/pally shouldn't have much on Rogue/Mage.

Guess that's just a general overview... Probably missed alot of things or said things contradictory to some people's strats, but wtv. There's no specific strat to play against any comp, and you'll learn that as you get better and become better at adapting to different situations in arena.

Btw! Rogue/Priest is quite strong if you know how to co-ordinate stuns and burns on healers (Not that that's hard). Just another comp for you to try.

Hope this somewhat helped. (I've played Rogue/Mage to 2300 so, I'd hope that I'm a semi-reasonable source lol)
    Last edited by Oozex; 2011-12-05 at 01:21 PM.

Deleted
    Another general tip would be to force trinket on secondary target (= not the kill target). In the above mentioned scenario against war/hpal you need to force the warriors trinket through novas/sheeps while maintaining really high pressure on the hpal for him to HAVE to trinket it or it's a GG - when he blows trinket on your CC, your rogue can freely blind him, which should force a BoP from the pala on the warrior to counter it. This allows you to do a future swap on warrior if he overextends or if the possibility occors and you've got a smoke bomb ready.

A few overall tips:

Against HPal teams always open on the HPal and force either a trinket/buble on your opener. Your mage can even solo-force these.

Don't be afraid to open in a smoke bomb on the healer if his mate is running around trying to find you (so he can't charge/pet nova/other on your location for you to freely nuke)

Don't be afraid to open on another target if you've met the team before - If they expect you to nuke their healer, try and go for their DPS and suprise them.

You're going to hate DKS. :|

What useful comments.

What did you expect? You are asking for tips on how to play one of the most faceroll/brainless comps in the game. You will global anyone within the duration of a shadow-dance/shatter combo.