View Poll Results: Kill 1 to save 1,000?

Voters
615. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kill 1; 1,000 live.

451 73.33%
  • Don't kill 1; 1,000 die

164 26.67%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Reason says kill one, save a thousand.

It's easy to say though. Fortunately I'm not in a position where I have to make that call. I'm glad some people can.

Sure, why not?
    Commit murder, be a "hero," and cannibalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    From a rational, objective standpoint, it shouldn't affect the decision whatsoever.

That's where the human element comes into play, though. That's what makes the decision so hard.
    I disagree. It matters greatly who the one is and who the thousand are.

Under the right circumstances i would kill 1000 to save one. and vice versa.

It's situational.

Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    From a rational, objective standpoint, it shouldn't affect the decision whatsoever.

That's where the human element comes into play, though. That's what makes the decision so hard.
    Mate, if a nutter high on drugs has a weapon in his arms and a grenade stuck to his mouth and he was just about to blow a concert, the decision is not hard at all.

This is what happens when you don't specify details on a situation.
    Congrats on being ambiguous.
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

So many variables.. and it's impossible to predict the future impact of any of the 1001 people. Go with the your gut in the moment and live with your choice is suppose.
    Broot - Subject to Change - http://s2c.enjin.com

depends on who the 1000 are and who the 1 is.

i.e. if the 1 is me, then its a definite maybe....and if the 1000 are terrorists then idc who i kill

or if the 1 is someone i love, and the 1000 are random ass people, then no
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

To those who don't understand how serious of a question this is..watch 24...it's on netflix right now instant stream...it will really make you question your own morality in situations like that.

If 1,000 people were on their way to kill 1, then it would be justified to kill the 1,000. That's how the justice system works.
    *Serious face... fist in air.*

It really depends on who the people are. I could kill the one and save a thousand, but those thousands could go on to kill people themselves, or the one could go on to invent the cure for a fatal disease or solve world hunger or whatever. However, without any knowledge of the future, chances are I would kill the one to save a thousand.

It's kind of a tough call, in a straight situation the 1000 people are absolutely going to die if you don't kill the 1 then yes, but it'd be difficult for that exact situation to occur, it'd be more likely kill the 1 to save the 1000 from a possible death.

At the end of the day though, you personally taking the mans life (unless at gun point to do so I guess) would be against the law so if it came to a 1000 person hostage situation and they said "kill this guy or they all die" the police would have to then protect him not kill him, like what happened in the Dark Knight.

Though I don't know if you have ever seen Torch Wood: Children of earth but that has a very similar situation, it's basically "Can you kill your only son to save half the children of earth"

Assuming I don't know either, I'd probably just let all 1,001 die. It's not my problem.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!