1. #1
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,358

    Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II and PSU requirment

    Hey!
    Tomorrow I'm finally ordering my new PC parts and I just want to make sure I get big enough power supply without going too much overboard.

    Asus GTX 580

    I can't find any recommendation, but I thought of 750W PSU for it.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Hey!
    Tomorrow I'm finally ordering my new PC parts and I just want to make sure I get big enough power supply without going too much overboard.

    Asus GTX 580

    I can't find any recommendation, but I thought of 750W PSU for it.

    Thanks!

    For a single 580, yes a 750 will be just fine. If you however ever plan to SLI 2x 580 then you'll need something bigger than that.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    For a single 580, yes a 750 will be just fine. If you however ever plan to SLI 2x 580 then you'll need something bigger than that.
    depending on how good the PSU is, a 750 should be enough for SLI. (based upon a review of a ASUS MARS II, where they used a AX750).
    but for safety a 850

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,358
    I will be using a [750W 750TX v2 ATX2.2-PSU, 80PLUS Bronze] from Corsair

    I hope this is good enough
    Last edited by Tehterokkar; 2011-12-05 at 08:07 PM.

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I will be using a [750W 750TX v2 ATX2.2-PSU, 80PLUS Bronze] from Corsair

    I hope this is good enough
    Will be comfortably enough with tons of expansion/OC headroom.

  6. #6
    I would avoid that GPU unless you never ever plan on doing SLI. I almost bought one myself but said screw it because of future headaches/slit wrists. It takes up THREE PCI slots. Imagine having two of those in there. Imagine how hot the top card will be.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I would avoid that GPU unless you never ever plan on doing SLI. I almost bought one myself but said screw it because of future headaches/slit wrists. It takes up THREE PCI slots. Imagine having two of those in there. Imagine how hot the top card will be.
    I will be fine with just 1, I will not trouble myself with SLI yet.
    and I know it will take up 3 PCI slots, so don't worry about that

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I will be fine with just 1, I will not trouble myself with SLI yet.
    and I know it will take up 3 PCI slots, so don't worry about that
    Yet? That implies you might in the future. I really suggest you only buy this card if you'll never do it. Don't forget how the card bends, try to prop it up with some Mcguiver method to reduce stress on the card.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •