Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    That's like saying every extinct animal went extinct for purely natural reasons. We ate the dodo to death and we hunted the Passenger Pigeon to death as well. They essentially died for no reason at all other then we either liked them a little too much, or didn't like them.

As for the Wooly Mammoth, climate change and hunting made it go extinct. With control, it may still be alive today.
    The French ate the only North American penguin to death.

God fucking damn them. They make me so mad. D:

edit: Actually, I don't believe it was a penguin. I can't seem to find any East Coast penguins. But mark my words, the French ate some sort of North American flightless water bird to extinction!
    Last edited by Larynx; 2011-12-05 at 08:17 PM.

I think this is cool, I don't see any problem in us cloning extinct animals. As long as they find a way to keep it happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans should just stop acting like as if we're gods. :/
    Why should we stop when we are, in fact, gods?

I find your lack of faith... Disturbing.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    ...Humans should stop acting like there is a god. Sorry, just my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Klausk View Post
    ...Humans should stop acting like there is a god. Sorry, just my point of view.
    "God" and "gods" are different things.

Notice the capital letter and the plural word.

"God creates dinosaurs.
    God destroys dinosaurs.
    God creates man.
    Man destroys God.
    Man creates dinosaurs.
    Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth."

+1 internet if you remember that
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

i wonder what they taste like 0.o
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    They wouldn't be pure mammoth, as they would have mDNA from the elephant surrogate. Plus I'm not sure it's responsible to bring them back into an environment they aren't adapted for. They died out for a reason after all, and it wasn't just because of hungry cavemen either.

Kinda related, Jack Horner is in charge of the Dinochicken Project. They are attempting to hatch a full term chicken embryo that retains saurian characteristics. I'd love a chickensaurus.
    Depends on what you're referring to when you say mDNA. The maternal nucleus is removed from the egg and replaced with the nuclei of a mammoth cell, but yes, the mitochondrial DNA would still be there. However, mitochondrial DNA doesn't play much of a role in development, just stays within the mitochondria as they replicate and are passed from cell to cell. It really only codes for the proteins used in the electron transport chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Trops View Post
    And also, how would "reviving" wooly mamoths benefit anyone or anything. They should do something more usefull with those resources.
    The knowledge gained from the development of methods to clone 'mammoths' using anything but pure 100% mammoth DNA, will most likely be transferable, or at least improve our general understanding of DNA and its manipulation.

One more step towards regrowing lost limbs, extending the human lifespan, curing diseases, ect...

Mammoths actually existed at one point, and have genetic descendants alive today. 'Reverse engineering' those descendants should prove easier, quicker, more accurate, more checks and balances with a clearer end goal, and more insightful then creating a whatchamacallit that never existed in the first place.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-12-05 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    Only me who thought this was about the mount introduced in WotLK...?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    Did no one watch Jurassic Park?

WHY DON'T WE LISTEN?

Soon they'll be opening doors, using handles. Pure chaos.
    This is the first thing that came to mind, not as dramatic but I think they should leave them dead

if we wont, no one will!
    "I am the King of Rome, and above grammar."

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    What if we find out Mammoths produce a protein that cures Alzheimer's? Would it be worth it then? What do you define as "useful"?
    I believe what people should be looking for here is not its usefulness, but the likeliness of this new reborn animal to alter entire ecosystems. Creating just one new animal could bring everything out of balance. Maybe fudge up the planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    i wonder what they taste like 0.o
    A group of "Scientists" ate a frozen mammoth. They said it tasted like freezer burnt meat or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Now I can play Skyrim irl :O
    I'm fine with that up until getting mauled by a sabertooth cat on my next camping trip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    I'm fine with that up until getting mauled by a sabertooth cat on my next camping trip.
    You can't go jogging in Skyrim.

Run for a mile and you'll be attacked by wolves, bears, sabertooth tigers, flame atronachs, spriggans, dragons, witches, vampires, bandits, skeevers, Forsworn, and the occasional skeleton.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    jokes aside

this mammoth hybrid will live in captivity, receive what it needs, and be studied. it wont be a wild animal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Why is that? Humans created the god/gods etc.

Quote Originally Posted by timtim89 View Post
    Leave it to Japan to end the world
    Never fear, Godzuki will save us & I don`t mean the band ;D

As for the mammoth, extra large bread bun, bbq sauce & all`s well that ends well.

Om nom nom

Deleted
    When will Japan clone Godzilla!

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    "God creates dinosaurs.
    God destroys dinosaurs.
    God creates man.
    Man destroys God.
    Man creates dinosaurs.
    Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth."

+1 internet if you remember that
    You are my new God.