Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

DVI vs HDMI for gaming.

Was just wondering how big of a difference each would have when gaming on a monitor. Does HDMI drastically outshine the DVI connector? Thanks.

Deleted
    I have tried both on the same monitor and i cant see the diffrence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    Was just wondering how big of a difference each would have when gaming on a monitor. Does HDMI drastically outshine the DVI connector? Thanks.
    Only in terms of size.

I think they have the same quality but hmdi can transfer sound aswell as video.

I looked for this while shopping for a GFX card. From what I could find, there didn't seem to be any difference between DVI and HDMI, except HDMI carried sound as well.

I can say that DVI looks great on my monitors.

I'm not 100% sure about this but as far as I know HDMI doesn't go over 1080P were as DVI can go as far as your monitor allows. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Belial; 2011-12-05 at 07:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    I think they have the same quality but hmdi can transfer sound aswell as video.
    By transfer sound what do you mean? If i buy a monitor with built in speakers, connected via a DVI cable i will not here the sound? or the sound will be of lower quality? Sorry for the noobish questions, only recently taken an interest into computer details.

By transfer sound what do you mean? If i buy a monitor with built in speakers, connected via a DVI cable i will not here the sound? or the sound will be of lower quality? Sorry for the noobish questions, only recently taken an interest into computer details.
    a dvi cable cant send sound at all. The hdmi cable should send sound to the monitor, atleast it did that with my tv. Modern gfx cards can send sound through hdmi aswell.

If you connect your pc to the monitor using DVI, you will need a separate cable for your sound (usually your motherboard will have some type of plug for sound, the onboard sound). You need to connect that audio cable from your pc to your speakers (whether it be on your monitor or on separate speakers). As said, DVI doesn't carry sound. HDMI will (but that also depends on whether your monitor have built in speakers or not).

Deleted
    From what i understand DVI is almost exactly the same as HDMI, but HDMI has the ability to transfer sound as well.
    Which means, if your monitor has built-in speakers for example, and your videocard has a sound chip onto it (most modern videocards do nowadays), you will have both image & sound to your monitor trough a single HDMI cable, rather than having to hook up seperate cables to the onboard sound or soundcard.
    Obviously this plays a bigger role on LCD/Plasma TV's which all have speakers built in, as monitor's dont always come with built in speakers.

DVI does not have the ability to transfer sound, but if your monitor does not have built-in speakers that doesn't matter anyway.

Deleted
    Ok all thanks for the replies. Seeing as i'm looking to buy seperate speakers for my new computer, i'll look for a reasonably priced monitor with DVI slots and without HDMI.

10+ Year Old Account
    hdmi is the same as using a dvi and audio cable, hdmi is one slot, dvi/audio is 2

if your monitor has both you can use both too, like i did with mine, xbox to hdmi, pc to dvi (and headphones right into the soundcard as i hate speakers)

but for actual quality, there's no difference

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to play in 3D you'd need a DVI Dual link, HDMI doesn't work.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I'm not 100% sure about this but as far as I know HDMI doesn't go over 1080P were as DVI can go as far as your monitor allows. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You can actually get HDMI to output in 1920x1200 @ 60Hz, but that's about the practical limit atm. It can output in higher resolutions, but only at lower refresh rates.

@ OP: There's no difference in the quality of the video output between HDMI and DVI. The only difference, as some people already mentioned, is the ability to run sound through the HDMI. Personally, I only use HDMI in a gaming setup if it's absolutely necessary, because I find ATI's underscan/overscan issues annoying as hell.

Ok all thanks for the replies. Seeing as i'm looking to buy seperate speakers for my new computer, i'll look for a reasonably priced monitor with DVI slots and without HDMI.
    There's no reason to get a monitor without HDMI. Generally speaking, most modern monitors come with HDMI as well as DVI. Only reason to not get one with HDMI is due to their price. If both are the same price, get the one with HDMI.

Also, if you are getting a DVI cable, make sure you get a DVI-D/DVI-I (DVI-I is probably more widely available). DVI-I simply carries both analog/digital signals. And also, DVI-I dual link cables will be required if you are playing in 3D or dual/triple monitor setups.

HDCP. Probably the main reason why HDMI is a horse. Otherwise not much difference.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well dvi-d can transfer sound aswell to your monitor so no difference there. And hdmi can be used to view 3d stuff on amd 3d stuff.

Well it´s like moste ppl already said. HDMI and DVI is exactly the same monitor cable except HDMI also got sound inplemented in it.

HDMI can carry sound to devices that have sound outputs, DVI cannot. DVI can support higher resolutions, but you obviously need a monitor (over 24", as an example) that supports that resolution. HDMI will support 1920x1200@60Hz, as others have said, and will also display a 4K resolution (2160p) at 24Hz, which is used for films.

In short; use DVI for your PC unless hooking it up to a TV. Theres no real reason to use HDMI otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    HDCP. Probably the main reason why HDMI is a horse. Otherwise not much difference.
    DVI supports HDCP. A display with a DVI port is not guaranteed to support it, however.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    So i've finally found a monitor but it requires a DVI-D (dual link), can anyone link me a cable which will work with a AMD Radeon 6870 graphics card please? as the one i'm going for i don't think will work. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A1AUCPBF2P18HS