Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How long do gaming mice usually last?

Hello, I am posting this in the computer forum because it seems most relevant here.

I recently purchased the steelseries legendary WoW mouse. I have zero issues with it but my number one concern is what is the expected time these things should hold up until the keys wear out and other problems of similar nature.

Deleted
    Whatever you do, do not buy a bluetooth mouse. Or a logitech bluetooth mouse. Shits so buggy.

1-5 years. Got 4 busted razer mice in my drawer, too lazy to send them in for repair. Sometimes buttons stop working real early.

I have a Razer Naga that's about 2yrs old, and it's now starting to have issues. The left and middle buttons have become mildly intermittent, to the point where sometimes you have to press harder to get a response. Other than that, it's been awesome.
    ----------------------------------------
    1999 - 2001: Ultima Online
    2001 - 2004: Dark Age of Camelot
    2004 - Today: World of Warcraft
    *** 19 years of MMO gaming ***
    ----------------------------------------

Deleted
    Hardware failures like that can't really be predicted. While Steelseries doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation I wouldn't expect your product to fail without reason.

Technically, there's no reason a mouse or keyboard should ever brake unless you mistreat them in some way (say if you rage for example).

Some of our old mice from the 1990's are still lying around my parents flat and they still work...technically.

That doesn't mean your product won't have some random malfunction for whatever reason. But that's random and unpredictable....and shouldn't really happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've had two Logitech gaming mice. Their life span have been about 2-2.5 years.

First one stopped entire functionality, my second one is losing button responsiveness now. Trying to hold out for as long as I can before getting a new one, but will buy a new one before SW:TOR opens up. In the meantime the loss of DPS sucks in WoW from my bindings.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Technical harddware problems are unpredictable.
    Can't count how many times i have nerd raged on my mouse back in the day
    but i have had my G5 going on 5 years now. Works just as it did the first day.

I have the first WoW Mouse, and it works fine, the finish has worn off a huge amount though, but other than that no real concerns with buttons wearing out their usage.

Will be replacing it soon though as I've had it a while now (2 years-ish?) but waiting on a price for the Cyborg MMO RAT as I'm not a huge fan of all the buttons in one area like Razers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still got my Roccat Kone, which is about 3 years old now. I still like it, but the mouse wheel tilting isn't working in one direction anymore, which I tend to use for strafing /:

Oh but that broke about one year ago, I just didn't spend the money for a new one yet. But two years is an average time I'd guess.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Hardware failures like that can't really be predicted. While Steelseries doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation I wouldn't expect your product to fail without reason.

Technically, there's no reason a mouse or keyboard should ever brake unless you mistreat them in some way (say if you rage for example).

Some of our old mice from the 1990's are still lying around my parents flat and they still work...technically.

That doesn't mean your product won't have some random malfunction for whatever reason. But that's random and unpredictable....and shouldn't really happen.
    This is a completely different story.

Gaming mice have a much more limited and restricted lifetime due to their heavy use and abuse. Regular mice with basic use get light button pressing on occasion. Not button smashing, bashing and jamming on a frequent occasion. No rage involved.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    Logitech's MX518 is as invincible and longlasting as these. (Had it for about 4 years now, apart from foward sidebutton being sticky due to ice tea spill I've got no issues at all.)
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

My naga has lasted about a year now. It has a sticky left click button that causes it to double click, and it needs to be lubed (again). It still looks like brand new though, and as long as nothing internal breaks I think I could get another year or 2 out of it.

Had my naga for a year so far ( got it last xmas) and i have had zero issues and i live on my computer for both work and play at least 8-12 hours a day. That said a lot of people have issues with them going bust early.

I've never had a wireless gaming mouse last more than a year. My current wired Logitech G9x has lasted 2 years so far and still running strong.

Thanks everyone for replying. As long as it is 1year+ I dont care. I just did not want the keys to crap out after 1-3 months. Gaming peripherals make a huge difference in performance so it is important to me.

I got a Razer Copperhead back in 2007, and it still works like a charm. I had to replace the pads on the bottom, but otherwise it's still fully functional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until one comes out that shines so much that you are willing to open up your wallet for.

Non of my gaming mice ever broke, just I got caught with shinier ones.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've had my Logitech G5v2 for ~4 years, and it's still going.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Logitech's MX518 is as invincible and longlasting as these. (Had it for about 4 years now, apart from foward sidebutton being sticky due to ice tea spill I've got no issues at all.)
    holy moly I had that phone in high school, built like a tank, I even sat in a hot tub for like 20 mins with it in my pocket. let it dry out and still worked fine!

but to answer OP, it all depends on how you treat it. I've had my Microsoft Sidewinder for almost 4 years, no problems other than me scratching off some of the textured rubber from boredom

If it's a razer, not very long. I had a naga quit working after 4ish months (lazer just quit) and this 2nd naga I have now had the left click quit working (I took it apart and fixed that myself)