Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I enjoyed "city raids" in Warhammer Online, it did get annoying from time to time because of faction imbalance (Order vs. Destruction). I'm figuring with Guild Wars 2 you just need to give them time and put in suggestions asking them to add these as either DE's or maybe a Battleground type area.

I'm happy with the current system, especially since we haven't even seen much of it yet but small tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    While I enjoyed "city raids" in Warhammer Online, it did get annoying from time to time because of faction imbalance (Order vs. Destruction). I'm figuring with Guild Wars 2 you just need to give them time and put in suggestions asking them to add these as either DE's or maybe a Battleground type area.

I'm happy with the current system, especially since we haven't even seen much of it yet but small tastes.
    The difference is; GW2 doesn't have factions, so players won't hunt you down, but I can understand you being in a town and annoyed when you get killed while you are doing some other stuff.

On the other hand, you're a hero, save the town!

About the BG type area, WvWvW is very similar to that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    In my own opinion I would love to see a DE where some enemy/dragon/big something is bashing the main capital down, if people won't do anything he will leave big parts of the town in ruins and you get to rebuild it or something similar.

I'm not seeing the problem why this shouldn't be considered. But one thing in mind, the game isn't in beta, we don't know all DE's and we don't know about their future plans. We can only hope =)
    Thing is, WoW's scourge invasion comes to mind. People will QQ that they can't stand peacefully in their capital. I wouldn't object for one bit, would bring some action to the capitals!

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Thing is, WoW's scourge invasion comes to mind. People will QQ that they can't stand peacefully in their capital. I wouldn't object for one bit, would bring some action to the capitals!
    Any update, any twitch, any change will have people who disagree and tell that. It's natural and also it would be wrong is everyone would be on the same page, because it's impossible. If something happens within the game for the sake of progressing the story, anyone who disagree with the events happening should shape up and think; "Well, these Drake's are pissing me off, but it's a part of this game". Anyone saying; "OMG ANET, FUCK THESE DRAKE'S" Should be ignored, people will complain and it's fine, but when the game change, it's part of the game that needs to be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good thing Anet doesn't have official forums and doesn't listen to everyones QQ (at least didn't with GW1 so i am told...).

Personally, i don't see anything happening to the capital cities at launch, but later down the road when the dragons begin to become more active i can totally see them starting to wreck EVERYTHING.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    It's a good thing Anet doesn't have official forums and doesn't listen to everyones QQ (at least didn't with GW1 so i am told...).

Personally, i don't see anything happening to the capital cities at launch, but later down the road when the dragons begin to become more active i can totally see them starting to wreck EVERYTHING.
    I hope they do it. Still, somewhere, I hope that once they have official forums, they don't clean up the QQ. It's sometimes so delicious. But yeh, I hope they don't listen to the QQ'ers and just make an awesome game. They've been thinking "outside of the box" all this time, I hope they'll keep doing that.

That was an extremely... effective event. I realized when I dreaded going to one of the population hubs because of the scourge, the event had succeeded completely.

What is changed through standard questing in any other game? In recent years, WoW has phasing that does change things but separates the playerbase. The big story bosses that are downed are done in instances and really, that changes nothing. And you can do it over and over again. At least with dynamic events, your standard questing has been replaced with more of a living world. If you want to advance a story, there's your personal story. There is an overarching story you're participating in to get the members of Destiny's Edge together and defeat some big thread etc. The instanced dungeons are directly related to this story.

Dynamic events doesn't replace an epic story, they replace a worn out quest system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaTaru View Post
    What is changed through standard questing in any other game? In recent years, WoW has phasing that does change things but separates the playerbase. The big story bosses that are downed are done in instances and really, that changes nothing. And you can do it over and over again. At least with dynamic events, your standard questing has been replaced with more of a living world. If you want to advance a story, there's your personal story. There is an overarching story you're participating in to get the members of Destiny's Edge together and defeat some big thread etc. The instanced dungeons are directly related to this story.

Dynamic events doesn't replace an epic story, they replace a worn out quest system.
    Don't forget that explorable versions of instances are designed to be repeatable as well, or at least from what we've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is; GW2 doesn't have factions, so players won't hunt you down, but I can understand you being in a town and annoyed when you get killed while you are doing some other stuff.

On the other hand, you're a hero, save the town!

About the BG type area, WvWvW is very similar to that.
    Problem was, it was like 100 Order in RR80 gear (level 40's with level 80 gear on) vs. undergeared Destruction noobs (like me who only played every now and then). So yeah, we pretty much let them kill our leader and take over while we ran around taking outdoor castles and whatnot. :P

But like I said, give ArenaNet some time, put in suggestions, and see what happens if everyone wants a "city takeover" type BG or DE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    all of this is in WvWvW, you can raid keeps of the opposing servers and they are an Alterac Valley style battleground in WoW, except it lasts 14 days, has 3 sides battling it out, has a ranking system, gives server-wide buffs for victory, and has "no cap" on the number of participants.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

WoW's scourge invasion was one of the best times I've had playing the game, and I would not object at all to a monthly or bi-monthly DE on a select major city. WoW has never before and never afterward made me feel as much as though I actually mattered to the world around me as during that event, and I feel like even with the outside world being affected by DE's, excluding major cities from harm's way would eventually seem a little too convenient, and thus un-immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahzael View Post
    WoW's scourge invasion was one of the best times I've had playing the game, and I would not object at all to a monthly or bi-monthly DE on a select major city. WoW has never before and never afterward made me feel as much as though I actually mattered to the world around me as during that event, and I feel like even with the outside world being affected by DE's, excluding major cities from harm's way would eventually seem a little too convenient, and thus un-immersive.
    I too loved that event. It was amazingly fun to fight against the hoard of brain eaters, taking down as many as I could before I fell. And then of course I'd turn right around and nomnom on the leg of the guy next to me till he put me out of my misery. A couple minutes later I'd be back to playing wack'a'zombie. The cata event was quite dull in comparison.

While I do think they should leave the combat based DE's out of the main capitals there is nothing to say they cant have them come right up agianst the walls. Players did not help protect their homeland and the rampaging hoards are pounding at the gate. The walls are strong and the defenders unbreaking however and will hold out till stout adventurers managed to break the siege. They could even have the NPC's inside react to the siege in their general chatter and small fetch and carry DE's available to take supplies to the men on the walls. If you want to jsut sit safe in the walls and have a bar brawl all day long you can if you wish. If you want to RP helping the defenders you can. If you want to be part of the heroic band that pushes through enemy lines and breaks the siege you can. IF you want to stand around pretending to be AFK... well that sounds kinda boring to me but hey its your account, do what you want.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    something official for you:

pcpowerplay.com.au/2011/11/here-there-be-dragons
    if you're new here you should really read this ^^
    thanks for the link!

i agree the shortcomings of cycled DEs will be mitigated with the linear advantures of personal story. i still have concerns on how the game will synchronise the same landmarks that different players did different things to.

i would be super excited if they do DEs where an unchecked enemy can take over a town, then several towns, then an entire map and finally launch a siege on a major city.

Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    thanks for the link!

i agree the shortcomings of cycled DEs will be mitigated with the linear advantures of personal story. i still have concerns on how the game will synchronise the same landmarks that different players did different things to.

i would be super excited if they do DEs where an unchecked enemy can take over a town, then several towns, then an entire map and finally launch a siege on a major city.
    Not really, personal story will be instanced and won't 'change' the world like DE's will. Personal story assignments will change the personal story world. They are seperated.

Not really, personal story will be instanced and won't 'change' the world like DE's will. Personal story assignments will change the personal story world. They are seperated.
    does that mean that there will be instances all over the world? instances that r not dungeon related.

No, you won't be needing to go through a portal to continue your personal story, to continue your personal story follow your Primary Quest, talk to someone and you'll get ported to an instanced area. Your personal story is only a small part of the whole game and most of the time you're outside hanging out with people.

But the little people are important too.

important for me to gain karma!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've played Skyrim, think of it this way.

In skyrim there are many smaller quest lines that don't effect the story, but there is one major quest line that is the main story the progresses the characters and ect.

Guild Wars 2 is similar in a sense. DEs are the smaller quests, or quest lines that don't really impact the main story, and your personal story (The quest line in the game specific to your character and choices) is the main story that has impact on the lore. Dungeons also impact lore because they are instanced.

It's not like WoW's quests are lore important half the time. Kill 10 murlocs is really important to the lore. Of course there are quests with greater weight to them in WoW and other games, but GW2 DEs can also have weight in the lore, mainly the larger ones. The dragon DEs come to mind.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2011-12-08 at 09:33 AM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)