Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Overclocking i5-2500k with safety

How high could I potentially overclock the i5-2500k with the Hypermaster 212 heat sync and a 650W power supply while remaining at a comfortable and safe temperature?

Also, I've found many links explaining how to overclock the i5-2500k, but are there some sites that explain it better than others? This will be my first time overclocking a CPU, and I'd like to do it correctly. All I know is that it's potentially better to overclock through the bios then to use a program.

10+ Year Old Account
    4.6-4.8GHz depending on your ambient and internal case air flow. All overclocking Sandybridge really entails is changing the Turbo Ratio for all the cores to whatever you want and then adjusting the voltage. You should work your way up and slowly raise the Turbo Ratio until its unstable, then raise the voltage in say 0.010 increments until it is stable. You can use a program such as Prime95 to Stress Test and RealTemp to monitor the temperature.

I believe mines at 4.5 (cant check right now, on my laptop) with the same cooler. Mega stable at 4.5. anything between 4.5-5 will depend on internal case temp and how well you've sorted your cables

Hmm... Okay. Thank you very much for the advice.

The case I have is a Coolermaster Haf 922. I believe the air flow is great. I'm not 100% sure though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah 4.5 is really safe with any aftermarket cooler. Anything above that will just depend on your specific one. Many can get up to 4.7 or 4.8 pretty safely. I chose to go with 4.5 just because I don't really need it any higher and I don't want to put any extra stress on it. http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html is the link I used for it, though its specifically for a p67 board I don't think there'd be a difference going to z68 if that's what you have (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Right. I have a Z68 chipset.

I plan on doing the same thing, just built my new PC tonight I have an i5 with a ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED cooler. I want to go to 4.0 GHz, does anyone have a link to a good guide for someone who has never overclocked before?

I also have a 750w PS

I have mine at 4.1 Ghz on the stock cooler with a 750W psu, Z68 board. It was a matter of just upping the multiplier and being done with it.

Relevent to my interests. Just got a new i5 2500k and want to OC to 4.0. Wondering if my new Coolmaster CPU fan will do the trick? First time to try and OC, ever :< Scared to be honest. Have extra PSU power and a Z68 mobo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am also trying to o/c my 2500k. Have not found a stable setting yet but I heard if you keep the v-core below 1.3v then you can be sure you won't destroy your chip. You can go a little higher but for starters stay below that. Watch your temps.

1.3v core is far from dangerous to your chip. Getting into the 1.4 is still safe but not as healthy. Vcore directly increase's heat but 4.5 sub 1.3v is the indication of a "golden chip" which basically means theoretically your chances of going to 4.5-4.9+ will require less Vcore so your not pushing 1.4-1.5. If im not mistaken the max Vcore is 1.52 on the Sandy Bridge. 1.52 would be pretty dangerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    1.3v core is far from dangerous to your chip. Getting into the 1.4 is still safe but not as healthy. Vcore directly increase's heat but 4.5 sub 1.3v is the indication of a "golden chip" which basically means theoretically your chances of going to 4.5-4.9+ will require less Vcore so your not pushing 1.4-1.5. If im not mistaken the max Vcore is 1.52 on the Sandy Bridge. 1.52 would be pretty dangerous.
    1.52 wouldn't be the maximum specification for Sandybridge if it was dangerous.

If you're new to OC'ing the best option is to follow guides and do it in small increments to test what it can handle, if you get to a level you're happy with stop, if it crash's wind it back 2 levels and you should be right.

Also, grab Prime95 and run it a few times while making sure some kind of temperature program is running. If your pc BSOD, then either reduce the OC or increase the vcore. If it doesn't crash, you want to make sure that the temps are around 70 celsius.

Deleted
    5Ghz is indeed possible with that cooler (I dont care what anyone else says, i did it. and my temperatures was 70-72), depending on your ambient temperature.

I have the same set up as the OP. What kind of gain will you see with 4.5 overclock? Like will I notice it?

Will you like absolutely notice anything in game w/ an i5-2500k w/o any extra software monitoring it? That is highly doubtful unless your playing on a subpar gpu and have everything turned up to its highest possible setting. If your currently getting a min Framerate over 30 fps, and i do mean minimum possible frame i.e heavy aoe in wow, then no you will likely have no idea of any differences. Especially considering alot of games are using cores more efficiently. However your pc can monitor and basically show you its faster than b4 with many different programs and addons etc etc. Even CTRL R to display fps in wow is a way to tell.

In other aspects of computing then you may or may not notice.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    4.5ghz barely crossing 50* in most intense real world applications(with a nice ol CM v6GT), for new people to OC the sandy bridge z68 platform makes life super easy.

how much i could raise my 2500k with a noctua nh-d14?

my MB is a p8h67 rev3

normally it's at 23-24º
    Last edited by cyceron; 2011-12-06 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyceron View Post
    how much i could raise my 2500k with a noctua nh-d14?

my MB is a p8h67 rev3
    In theory, 5GHZ, but there's so many aspects I wouldn't recommend that. You need too take into account your case's air flow and your ambient room temp. Also be ready to set it lower on hot days.